Cable TV

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
OK have been staying at places that we used the antenna for the TV in the bedroom because I can't get cable to come through. Cable works fine in living room. Have checked all cable connections in bedroom, living room, splitter behind basement wall and connections in UDC. Making sure both TVs are programmed to receive cable and run channel search.
I have looked in the tools section and found what I thought was help, but the schematic for my rig is different then the way it's wired. So no help their.
It's got me baffled!!! HELP please.............

Garypowell

This is a good one. One thought would be to purchase 50 of cable (and connector) and bring the living room feed back to the bedroom and see if the TV was "good" or not. Cost you $20 but might help solve the mystery.

I'll stay tuned in to see what is actually wrong.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Hi BigJim45,

Where is the signal booster located in your rig?

Dan.....the booster is located in the bedroom just above the TV. It's a Antenna Tek model that has a 12v receptacle. I checked all the connections and they are tight. Funny thing is the color coax that is behind the UDC is not connected to the booster as I thought it would be. I still need to double check the color coax behind the living room TV.
This has really got me puzzled.

Garypowell

I assumed he had the amp turned off since it will interfere with all cable on OP said cable on main TV was OK.

It it could be that the amp is defective and not allowing the cable single through the bedroom side.

I had had suggested to run bedroom TV off of living feed (from the living outlet) as a check but in reality you could disconnect amp and try feeding TV with the feed into amp since you know it is good since main TV is working.

Off the the subject a little but you expressed concern over cable color....I have seen that too....not sure why they pick orange in my rig but some of the cable is that color. It might be this helps them keep the wires straight...

but you can purchase wire run testers at any big box store that can help you figure what wire goes where. I think I got mine for $40 or so.

danemayer

The separate antenna and cable inputs come together at the signal booster and the combined output then goes to the bedroom and the living room. If you have working antenna and cable in the living room, that normally proves out both antenna and cable inputs to the signal booster, as well as the coax run from signal booster to the living room.

Since the feed to the bedroom TV comes right from the signal booster, there's not much room for failure there. And if cable works, it would seem like that part is ok.

If you're very close to strong over-the-air TV towers, you may not need much antenna for the TVs to receive signals. If that's the case one TV might do better than the other with a marginal signal from the antenna.

After the antenna coax comes down through the roof at the directional knob, there's a barrel connector that connects the rooftop coax to the coax that goes to the signal booster. That connector sometimes works loose creating a marginal signal. If you take the knob down, you can fish the coax out and tighten the connector.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Or digital signal on a CRT.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

scottyb

The reason I ask is because mine was mis-labeled when I got it and the one that said cable was actually the one for the satellite. When I hooked the cable to it, the LRTV worked but the BRTV did not.

pegmikef

Yes it does. One for cable one for sat.

Mine has four satellite outlets across the back of the UDC, two for the roof, one for the living room, one for the bedroom, but the outlet for the cable is on the right side of the UDC and feeds both the bedroom and living room. You don't by chance have the cable hooked up to living room satellite feed do you?

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Mine has four satellite outlets across the back of the UDC, two for the roof, one for the living room, one for the bedroom, but the outlet for the cable is on the right side of the UDC and feeds both the bedroom and living room. You don't by chance have the cable hooked up to living room satellite feed do you?
I would think if I had it hooked up to the sat condition I would not have a picture. Is that right ??

pegmikef

You would have a picture in the living room if you hooked the satellite outlet to the tv coax input. In that case the satellite feed coax would just be acting as a conductor for the cable signal (if in fact the cable was hooked into the sat LR outlet in the udc).

In my living room there are two outlets one for the satellite which would normally go to a sat receiver and one for antenna/cable which would go to the tv cable/antenna input.

scottyb

That was my case. The two outlets in the LR are not labelled. When I couldn't get cable TV, I switched outlets in the LR, and only got cable in the LR, That's when I determined that the connections in the UDC were mis-labeled. Once I returned the LRTV to it's original position, and reversed my connection at the UDC, I had cable at all points in the rig, as well as the antennae. i also use what was originally labeled as the cable connection in the UDC, for my Dish satellite.

danemayer

Cable signals can successfully travel over the satellite wiring. The reverse is not true.

If you had the cable plugged into the satellite feed to the living room, AND had the living room TV coax input connected to the satellite feed, you'd get cable there. BUT, unless you had very strong over-the-air TV signals, you wouldn't get any over-the-air TV in the living room because the antenna feed is on the other living room connector.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
OK this is what I did. Went to UDC and switched connection on the cable feed. Went to bedroom TV and ran channel search and got cable fine and that TV. Great.
Now went to living room and ran channel search and got nothing but snowy picture. Changed connection coming out of wall and ran search again, still nothing.

​What I'm I doing wrong??

danemayer

OK this is what I did. Went to UDC and switched connection on the cable feed. Went to bedroom TV and ran channel search and got cable fine and that TV. Great.
Now went to living room and ran channel search and got nothing but snowy picture. Changed connection coming out of wall and ran search again, still nothing.

​What I'm I doing wrong??
Did you move the living room coax to the other connector on the plate?