Odds of light switch going bad

I have two lights off one switch that have stopped working. Do light switches themselves go out often.

2nd ?. When I turn on main kitchen lights after a lengthy time of non use ie.. 8 hours. Their is a minute or so delay before lights will actually come on after switch is on. What could cause this problem. Im hooked up to 50 amp and currently live in the 2011 Greystone fifth wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the switches do go bad.
I would pull the switches and take a look at the wires that connect to them.
Sometimes they come off the connector or the connector had a bad crimp.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi g2outfitter,

If I put the two problems together and look for a single cause, it sounds like you've got a loose wire or fluctuating voltage in the 12V system. Are you having any problems with the refrigerator, hot water heater, or furnace?

Sometimes a Power Converter that is starting to fail shows up first as lighting problems. You might want to put a volt meter on the battery to see if you've got around 13.4 volts. Also, we have a 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide that might help you run down a systemic problem such as a failing Power Converter.

oldmannj

I've had a couple of switches go bad in mine. The rockers get sticky. I'd go there first for any repairs. Be prepared to repair the connectors as they seem to be loose on the wiring all the time.