Bought a 20w panel

diesel_doberman

I purchased a 20w panel with 12v charger. Hooked it up and set the panel on the rood while it sits in out turn around. (Just wanted it to keep battery charged. Went out 3 weeks later and battery is dead. What gives?

jbeletti

Perhaps 20 watts is less than the discharge rate of all parasitic loads. Did you have the DC shut-off switch in the off position on the RV?

jimtoo

According to specs for that panel it only charges at max rate of 1.17 amps. And I'm sure that is in good sunlight. That is not enough to supply load of parasitic loads of normal things.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It may have been easier and cheaper to disconnect the battery or install a battery cutoff switch.
With no parasitic load on the battery it would still have its charge after three weeks.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
As close to the battery as you can. That will also allow you to buy pre-made cables if you don't have the ability to make you own.

jbeletti

And where do you guys tend to mount these switches, on the battery box itself?

DD - I think I read you have a bumper pull TT? When I had one, I mounted that switch on the top of the plastic battery box. I used long nylon screws, washers and nuts to mount it. Got that hardware from Lowes/Home Depot etc.

diesel_doberman

Okay. So that should be easy. Just mount to the top of the battery box. Sounds easy enough. Although, did it become difficult to remove the lid?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Check all of your basement compartment lights. It's real easy to leave one on (don't ask how I know that):p

jbeletti

Okay. So that should be easy. Just mount to the top of the battery box. Sounds easy enough. Although, did it become difficult to remove the lid?

Not hard at all. But, my project was likely done with smaller gauge wire than what's used on your TT. Using the Wayback Machine, I was able to find a web article I wrote and resurrect the text and some of the images. While the wiring is lighter than yours, this may help you conceptualize your project.

Beletti Blog Post - TrailManor – Battery On/Off Switch Project