Lake Superior Tour

Our family is considering a 14 day tour of Lake Superior this summer and were wondering if anyone has done it recently? I'm finding a bit of info online but would love to hear from someone who has done this in the past couple years.
We are looking for "must see" sights, travel trailer tips and what campgrounds worked for you.

Hope everyone is staying warm and thinking Happy-Camper thoughts!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Bayfield Wisconsin, Apostle islands, are a great area to see. Try a boating charter/tour or take the ferry to Madeline Island to get out on the water and get some great views.

The area near Grand Marais, Minnesota is nice too.

I have chartered sailboats out of Bayfield and really enjoyed all the views you get with all the islands in the area.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Soo locks, the Pictured Rocks, Taquamenon Falls, copper mine tours in the Keewenaw.

Mark-Mullin

I have done Lake Superior from Sault Saint Marie ontario to Thunder Bay ontario
Probably the most picturest drive in all of Ontario In my opinion. Lots of great campgrounds and hiking trails Rainbow Falls was one of my favorite ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

readytohitheroad

Are you planning on driving around the entire lake or just visiting a portion? I was involved in a motorbike ride, counterclockwise, around the entire lake years ago. Took us two weeks and that was riding hard each day. Trip of a like time.

Speedy

Being from Minnesota don't you know the North Shore is a wonderful place. Here are my suggestions for things to see and do while in the Gopher state:

Duluth, plan an entire day there. Canal Park, Grandma's Saloon & Deli, Duluth depot & railroad museum, harbor tour, ore boat tour, Fitgers Brewery, Glensheen mansion. The lit can go and on. You'll need to research campgrounds because I always just drove up for the day.

Farther north there are lots of small mom & pop campgrounds as well as state parks. All are nice but the better ones are on the lake side of hwy 61. Lamb's campground in Tofte, MN is nice. Tom and Kathy Ireland (mnkampers) go there yearly as I understand it. Shoot them an IM and get their feedback.

ILH

There are some large provincial parks on the Ontario side of the lake. Although I haven't been there in many years, Kakabeka Falls just west of Thunder Bay was quite a spot to see.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Check out THIS SITE We did the tour several years ago by motorcycle. Big mistake doing it in September though. Rain & cold. At that time though the roads were very good and there are plenty of places to camp. THe night sky is beautiful if it's clear and the Northern Lights are awesome. Have fun!
Here is another good LINK

wingerbls

Where to start... We spend a LOT of time around Lake Superior; we've camped at nearly every state & provincial park all around the lake, and they're all good. We made the circle on our Goldwing a few years go. In addition to any and all of the suggestions from other's posts, we've found Ney Provincial Park to be very relaxing. It's about halfway around the north side of the lake, has about a mile of sand beach to walk or watch the sunset. Some kids were even swimming there...

Sven & Ole's pizza n Gran Marais is tradition for us as well. Split Rock Lighthouse is interesting. Hike anytime you get a chance. There are tons of waterfalls and mile upon mile of hiking trails. When you're tired of walking, go sit by the water and watch the waves go by.

(As you might be picking up, Lake Superior is one of our most favorite places on the planet...)

Feel free to PM me if you want some other details.

In August, 2013 we traveled to the Bayfield Wisconsin, and the Apostle Island area. It was fabulous. The highlight was our camping experience at Memorial Park - City of Washburn. We had a campsite overlooking Lake Superior. We would rate it 5 stars. Website is: http://www.cityofwashburn.org/camping.htm#memorial

We also went sea kayaking in the sea caves with Lost Creek Adventures, an outfitter out of Cornucopia, WI. Very reasonably priced and a great experience. We are in our 60's any my husband had never been kayaking. I would have been very comfortable taking my 9 year old granddaughter along. Again another 5 star rating. Website: http://lostcreekadventures.org/kayaking.html