Ford F250 Back Up Camera Relocation

jdamude

Just finished relocating the back up camera up to the third brake light in the cab.

We are now able to see the fifth wheel hitch for hooking up.

Thanks
Jeff

Attachments

• Third Brake Light BAck Up Camera.JPG
    Third Brake Light BAck Up Camera.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 439

scottyb

That is really cool. How do you connect to it? Did you redirect the wiring or do you have an extension from the original wiring. That would help out tremendously when hooking up and the camera is useless while hooked up. Also, do you think it would be possible to add one to the rear of the trailer and connect to it after hooking up? I believe I asked this question once a while back.

jdamude

That is really cool. How do you connect to it? Did you redirect the wiring or do you have an extension from the original wiring. That would help out tremendously when hooking up and the camera is useless while hooked up. Also, do you think it would be possible to add one to the rear of the trailer and connect to it after hooking up? I believe I asked this question once a while back.

We connected into the existing harness at the rear of the truck. This way we can switch back to the rail gate camera when not using the trailer. I'm not sure if I will switch back because there is great view from the new location.

I purchased a camera from Ford and the tail gate wiring harness. We lengthened the harness using shielded cable to run back to the cab.

If interested, I can send part numbers if interested. There is about $75.00 in materials involved.

We have a camera for the rear of the trailer that we will be incorporating once spring comes. I'm just working on how to switch it now. I'm going to try and use the up fitter switches in the dash.

wqmiller

Very nice modification! Yes, could you please send details of the part numbers and brief description of where you intercepted the cable at the cab.

Thanks, Quinton

Quinton Miller

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jdamude

Very nice modification! Yes, could you please send details of the part numbers and brief description of where you intercepted the cable at the cab.

Thanks, Quinton

Quinton Miller

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Camera part # BL3Z 19G490 B.......cost $79.84

Wiring harness part # DC3Z 14A412 A.....cost $13.90 this harness is for the 2014 model year. You will need to order the tailgate harness for your respective model year.

The camera part number is for a 2011 f150. It will plug into the camera side of all the harnesses.

There is is a plug at the rear of the box for disconnecting the tailgate harness when removing the tailgate. This is where you will plug your new harness in and rout it back to the cab along the frame rail. There is a rubber grommet in each side of the rear of the cab that you will access to enter the cab with the harness. From there you can route the harness up the corner go the cab and across the top of the headliner to the third brake light.

Make sure when you are lengthening the harness that you use shielded cable.

scottyb

Camera part # BL3Z 19G490 B.......cost $79.84

Wiring harness part # DC3Z 14A412 A.....cost $13.90 this harness is for the 2014 model year. You will need to order the tailgate harness for your respective model year.

The camera part number is for a 2011 f150. It will plug into the camera side of all the harnesses.

There is is a plug at the rear of the box for disconnecting the tailgate harness when removing the tailgate. This is where you will plug your new harness in and rout it back to the cab along the frame rail. There is a rubber grommet in each side of the rear of the cab that you will access to enter the cab with the harness. From there you can route the harness up the corner go the cab and across the top of the headliner to the third brake light.

Make sure when you are lengthening the harness that you use shielded cable.

This is great news. Thanks for the part numbers. I always thought it would be great if you could utilize the truck's monitor as an RV backup camera too. Can't beat the cost either. A camera for the hitch and one for the rear of the RV for under $200. Now feeding the shielded cable to the back of the RV is the biggest obstacle.

kdubinwa

Would you please describe how you installed the camera inside the 3rd brake light? Tools? Getting the light apart? Cutting and sealing? Thanks.

porthole

Retired
How about a picture of the radio screen?
Do you have a tool box in the bed? I cannot see my hitch at all because of the tool box.

And where did you find the camera for $80?

jdamude

How about a picture of the radio screen?
Do you have a tool box in the bed? I cannot see my hitch at all because of the tool box.

And where did you find the camera for $80?

I have a tri fold box cover that sits at the front of the box when towing.

I purchased the camera from our local Ford Dealer.

jdamude

Would you please describe how you installed the camera inside the 3rd brake light? Tools? Getting the light apart? Cutting and sealing? Thanks.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the back side of the light. If you purchase the camera that has been noted, you will use a 3/4" hole saw for the holes needed. We also drilled a new hole in the back side to relocate the brake light to the side of the camera. I used a hack saw blade to cut the camera opening.

The camera was placed in position, then glued with a 5 minute epoxy. once the epoxy dried, we placed a small bead of clear silicone around the tail light lens where the camera comes through.

This project took approximately three hours, including wiring the truck.

Attachments

• Third Brake Light 3.JPG
    Third Brake Light 3.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 332
  • Third Brake light 2.JPG
    Third Brake light 2.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 350

wizness

I just joined this forum to look at your pics. I'm going to have to do something like this. I'll probably just use an aftermarket camera though then use it through my lockpick. Got anymore pics? Looks awesome.

Wes

SeattleLion

Has anyone figured how to run the extended harness cable to the back of the 5th wheel? I was thinking that it would be totally cool to rig the Ford camera on the back of the trailer and then just plug the harness into the truck's existing camera connector that usually connects to the tailgate. Any thoughts?

jdamude

Has anyone figured how to run the extended harness cable to the back of the 5th wheel? I was thinking that it would be totally cool to rig the Ford camera on the back of the trailer and then just plug the harness into the truck's existing camera connector that usually connects to the tailgate. Any thoughts?

If your truck is equipped with the ford sync system, there is a module you can add to allow for multiple cameras. The module is called a sync lockpick. It's a little pricey but works great. Check it out on U Tube.

I have a camera to add to the rear of our fifth wheel. We are just trying to figure out how to route the cable from the rear up to the pin box.