Truck tires with increased payload

rjf199

My 2014 Gmc 2500hd d/a came with Wrangler LT265/60 R20 that have a payload capacity of 2440. I got this info from the door post sticker. My max payload is 3069 per Gmc web site. My question is are there any tires that I can get that will increase payload related to tire performance.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Did you buy the truck new? From the factory, 2500 and 3500's came with 245's. I put Firestone Transforce 265's on my 05 and 07 2500's. Their ratings were above 3k per tire. It will raise the load ratings for peace of mind but not the "legal" ratings.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Question should be not what size tire but what is the load rating.
What is the load rating on the sidewall of the tire?

Peace
Dave

danemayer

The Goodyear website shows a higher max load than your truck's sticker. Not sure what your truck sticker is telling you. Maybe it's the payload for the truck as configured. Max payload on the GMC website may require specific options to hit the big number.

lynndiwagoner

You could buy new wheels and tires. I've got Vision Heavy Hauler Wheels (19.5) and BFG 245/70R19.5 (ST230) rated at 4500lbs each at 110PSI, Load range "G". Total cost is around $2,500.00.

jnbhobe

Look at the tire and see what the max load is for a single tire, It's right on the tire. I think its more like 3600#s each or more

rjf199

I made a mistake my trucks payload is 2440 has nothing to do with tires. New to all of this I misunderstood door post sticker Thanks for all the input

Bob&Patty

OOOOPS, I missread the year of your truck. Its a 2014..not an 04. Need to wear my glasses when I am reading posts. GM is installing 265's on the newer trucks. Me thinks you need to read your owners manual. A 2014 2500 D/A has close to a weight rating of 17K (I think its 17200#) for a 5er. The OEM tires should be just fine. I know my 13' DRW is rated to 22500# for a 5er with OEM wheels and tires. Being that you 20" wheels...that might make a difference but I dont think so.

Bob&Patty

Not knowing exactly what truck you have...here's what my owners manual states.. BTW, there is not any difference between a 2013 and 2014 GMC truck.

2WD (C2500)..extended cab S/B 5er 17500#.....GVWR 24500#
2WD " crew cab " " 17400# same
2WD " regular cab L/B 5er 17800# same
2WD " extended cab L/B 5er 17400# same
2WD " crew cab L/B 5er 16700# same

If you have 4WD the weight rating drop some....the lowest is 14700# for a crew cab L/B, but still has GWR of 24500#. Nothing I read states that 20" wheels make a difference. I'm not sure what has you worried about the tires. Maybe a quick trip to your dealer will answer you questions and ease your mind.

P.S. I worked for GM for 45 years....I know their trucks.

Bob&Patty

OK Dan, just happen to have my owners manual right here. GMC...2500 fifth-wheel/ goose neck......3000#. But that would be the pin weight.....not the combined weight of the rear of the truck and the pin load. His tires have to be rated higher than what he has stated. They have to be close to 3K or more each. His 2500 has to weight at least 6K+#. Its hard to answer a question about all the unknowns about the OP's truck.

danemayer

This is actually the 2nd of 2 threads. The first was more about how well the truck and trailer were matched. The truck is probably overloaded a bit, but not nearly as much as what some of our owners do. This 2nd thread was to figure out if the tire capacity was the weak point. As the OP figured out, it's not.