Fulltiming coming to a close...

DW_Gray

At least for a while.

Firstly, Amy and are expecting our first two grandchildren in May and July this year in California.

Speaking of California, we were in Montgomery, AL last week and on Wednesday night I learned that my late first wife's father passed away. So we left AL Thursday morning and drove 2,625 miles and arrived Monday evening, just in time for the funeral yesterday.

And that leads to our second reason of ending our fulltiming. The last 4 years and 4 months have taken a toll on our Cyclone that was not built for this kind of travel. (Well over 20K miles.) On the way to CA, a second wheel in 5 months failed and took out a tire with it. Three nights ago, at 3:30 A.M., we heard a loud bang as if something came down crashing. After getting up and looking for the cause, I found nothing. Monday evening after arriving in Sonora, CA, I noticed what looked like the DS slideout floor dropping down. This morning I had time to take a closer look and I now believe the aluminum frame has broken. Obviously, we will have to move out of the Cyclone to get that fixed. My biggest frustration will be finding a competent and reputable repairman in CA that will honor our extended warranty.

Additionally, I've been wanting to do some remodeling and upgrades on our Cyclone that requires us to be out of it for a period of time. But on the other hand, if Heartland comes out with a new toy hauler with the additional storage space like we have in the 4012, I'd take that into consideration.

We'll miss fulltiming for sure. But we are looking forward to becoming grandparents.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
"Taking a Break from Full-timing" is what it should read! Sounds like a good plan, under the circumstances. Hope you get back to it sooner rather than later.

Tredit lifetime-warrants the wheels, so hopefully they will fix you up.

Please keep us posted on the slideout repair!

DW_Gray

I sent the the required forms and pics to Tredit since I already had them. I haven't heard from them yet and their phones are down. I called Heartland to make sure they were open and they couldn't contact Tredit either.

kowAlski631

Grandchildren are our rewards for tolerating our children when they were teenagers. All you have to do with grandkids is love them - easiest job in the world. Congrats!!

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

thibideau

Congratulations on the upcoming grandchildren. They are one of the best part of having been a parent

DW_Gray

After a closer look, it certainly appears that the slideout frame has broken. The floor is attached firmly.

danemayer

Dave,

When there are multiple failures I usually try to think of possible common causes. So I'm thinking you had a couple of broken wheels and you have a broken slideout frame. You must have run over the same bump on I-10 that did in my axle.:rolleyes:

kowAlski631

Dave,

When there are multiple failures I usually try to think of possible common causes. So I'm thinking you had a couple of broken wheels and you have a broken slideout frame. You must have run over the same bump on I-10 that did in my axle.:rolleyes:

We're running I-10 over the next few weeks. Where's that bump!?! LOL

Martha

Paul & Martha

scottyb

We're running I-10 over the next month across tex. Where's that "bump"?!? LOL

Martha

Paul & Martha

El Paso and Las Cruces. Everything else between Junction and Phoenix is good. I made 3 r/t's in 12 mo. 2 with Cyclone and 1 deadhead.

Dave, congratulations on the upcoming grandchildren. I bet they will be on the road with you a few times in the future. You mentioned 20K miles. Is that per year or total? We already have 11K on ours and I feel like it is barely broken in. I will still be working full time for another 10 years, but I fully intended to have 50K-60K miles on it before trading.

kowAlski631

Thanks! Appreciate the info. Safe travels!

Martha

Paul & Martha