Does anyone tow double trailers?

SailorDon

A major consideration in selecting the 2175RB Wilderness was overall length. States that allow towing double trailers usually have a 65 foot overall maximum length for the rig.
When I tow my double rig, it measures 64 feet overall length.

The problem is finding gas stations where I can pull straight in to the gas pumps.

Last edited:
A major consideration in selecting the 2135RB Wilderness was overall length. States that allow towing double trailers usually have a 65 foot overall maximum length for the rig.
When I tow my double rig, it measures 64 feet overall length.

The problem is finding gas stations where I can pull straight in to the gas pumps.
LOL You are a brave soul. Be careful and make sure you check State laws as I believe there are quite a few state that make towing like that illegal. 5th Wheel to Conventional is legal or so I heard. Nice Truck by the way! Getting ready to sell my F-150 for a larger truck.

Apparently I missed the text above your photo! :p

SailorDon

LOL You are a brave soul. Be careful and make sure you check State laws as I believe there are quite a few state that make towing like that illegal. 5th Wheel to Conventional is legal or so I heard. Nice Truck by the way! Getting ready to sell my F-150 for a larger truck.
I don't think I'm more "brave soul" rating than anyone else that tows medium to large size travel trailers on the highways. When set up properly, the double trailer rig handles the same as when towing just the travel trailer. Just have to allow more clearance for turns and lane changes.
I also keep a real-time visual of my boat and boat trailer with a wireless backup camera that I've attached to the rear bumper of my travel trailer.

You are 100% correct about state laws. Every state has its own set of laws with respect to non-commercial double trailers. My rig is illegal in 22 states!
My plan is to stay in states where I am legal when double trailering.

Here is a general overview of where you can double trailer.

Some of the "green" states require that the first trailer be a fifth wheel configuration. I think Michigan, Wisconsin, and a couple other states have that special requirement.

Last edited:

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Haven't tried and sure I wont do a double tow with a bumper camper and boat. We pull double with a 5th wheel to a hitch receiver for the golf cart. You probably will be fine as long as you stay on secondary roads but not sure about having a tractor trailer pass you at 70+ miles an hour on the interstate.
DSCN0303.jpg

SailorDon

You probably will be fine as long as you stay on secondary roads but not sure about having a tractor trailer pass you at 70+ miles an hour on the interstate.

Back in October 2013, I drove my rig to the Madisonville, Louisiana Wooden Boat Festival. That included 250 miles on Interstate 10 (Beaumont, TX to Madisonville). No problem.
But I did not exceed 65 mph.
The secondary roads were no problem, mostly 60 mph.
Like I said before, it handles about the same as just towing the travel trailer alone.

SailorDon

i guess the length laws dont apply to Canadians??????????????????

Good luck with that! Perhaps you could do a 75 foot long double tow through Ontario Canada and let us know how that goes. :)

Seriously, you have to check with each province for their own trailering laws.

HornedToad

When set up properly, the double trailer rig handles the same...

My wife's cousin has an oilfield service company that rents trash trailers. All his trailers are set up to double tow and he tows them two at a time out to the well site and back & forth to the dump, just about every day, without a problem other than lots of flats from driving thru the dump.

alex00

I had my doubles endorsement years ago on my California CDL, but never towed doubles. From time to time I see a guy on the freeway pulling two gooseneck livestock trailers in double. Both are double axle and about 25 feet long. The second trailer is supported by a tiny double axle dolly with a gooseneck ball. It's a pretty cool setup to see going down the road.

wildwolfproducts

Tn does show only with a 5th wheel and it has to be under 36ft to pull anything behind it. Ms you can be 90 ft and I'm mounting a hitch to our frame next week. Will only be 80 ft or so but making a trip to Grenada for a weeks fishing trip and don't want to make 2 trips. So new C5500 will be pulling our Key largo and lund boat that week. Fuel is not an issue for us as we can tank 150 gallons on the Chevy Kodak c5500.
Pete

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Pete - how's the re-mods going on that 5500? Can't wait to see it. Ya'll coming to the TN rally right????

SailorDon

Ms you can be 90 ft and I'm mounting a hitch to our frame next week. Will only be 80 ft or so
Websites report all different rules for Mississippi trailer towing. Some say 99 feet combined maximum length, others say 75 feet combined maximum length.
Most list 55 mph as the maximum speed while towing, but at least one reports 65 mph max towing speed.

I don't know what the right answers are, but I'm planning a trip to Biloxi in October and I'm going to be certain I know what their trailer towing rules are. I need to do some research.

I have driven my double trailer rig at 64 feet long. That works OK for me if I stay below 60 mph. I don't ever think I would try 75 feet long. You can't get around the corners. Entrance roads to state parks aren't always straight enough for 75 foot long double trailer rigs.