New Horn for my truck

BluegrassMan

Hi All:

I just bought off Ebay, a new truck horn. I thought the stock Ford horn wasn't enough for a "MAN'S" truck. This is a :eek:TRAIN HORN :eek:made by Seige Engineering. I saw it on Truckaccessoryguy.com. You can also hear a sample on this site as well. They are made of very high standards and would look good on the roof, I'm going to stash mine behind the front bumper (if it fits). Check them out, they offer many styles and prices, I bought the entry level one, that's still better than STOCK.:D

tdharley

I was looking at them at one time. My problem was the air tank. I have no place in the engine compartment & dont want to lose any bed space, I already have a toolbox backthere.

ct0218

The train horns I have seen use a lot of air, so a large air tank is needed. Mounting the tank in the trucks today is tough, hard to find an open area. I bought a Hadley Bully dual trumpet air horn about 6 years ago and it is still going strong. I have used it in 2 different trucks and everything is under the hood. The trumpets are in the grill, pointed down, and attached to an existing brace. The compressor is mounted on a bracket I made and attached on top of the Duramax, next to the positive battery and ground booster cable attaching points. The air tank is in the cavity next to the hood hinge on the drivers side. It is activated by the OEM horns, just a simple wire spliced into them. They are loud too. I think it took about 2 hours to install including making the bracket.

BluegrassMan

I figure on trying to mount the air tank on a frame rail. I don't have enough room for the horns near the radiator (there are 6 radiators total). I hope to go under the innercooler, behind the liscense plate and front bumper.

The air tank is a 3 liter, it will be ok for a blast or two, I won't be able to lay on it long. I think the idiot driver will still get the idea, that I'm ticked off at him! Later, I can add a larger tank etc. Just another toy to play with, my DW says.

ct0218

The only problem you might encounter in PA is rust and corrosion from the salt during the winter. You'll just have to keep an eye on it. I can stay on the horn for quite some time-never have used all the air. I recently had someone s l o w l y passing me on my left on I-75 and suddenly started merging into my lane with only inches between us. I guess he/she forgot I was there, but when I hit the horn it woke them up for sure. They moved over 2 lanes, sped up about 15 mph, then kept going. I really like a loud horn, especially when towing a heavy load. One of the truck drivers that delivers log homes for me has a train horn on his Peterbilt. It will rattle your windows.

Loco

Big and Very loud Air horns

I have just the layout for air horns on the Fords. I have a set of Buell Strombos 10" & 12" on a duplex bracket that came off a fire truck mounted under the passenger side of the cab. It is my wifes truck and we did not want the horns up top. I mounted the compressor behind the rear seats and a 3 gal air tank I made out of a old propane cylinder mounted under the right front of the bed. I wired it so when you turn the aux #1 switch on the dash the compressor has power and the horn ring operates the air horns. If we want the stock horn you just turn the accessory switch off. I will have to post some pictures of the install on here in the near future.The wiring is not really hard. when I wired it I did not want to change any of the Ford wiring or have any draw on the Ford wiring.So it has some relays in the wiring. If any one would like to know how I laid it out just let me know. I will go into more depth.

Last edited:

Loco

Pictures of Big Air horns and wiring

Here are some of the pictures of our Air Horns mounted and air tanks plus I have the wiring drawing for F-350 that some of you wanted to see .The file is to big to put on here But I can e-mail it,just let me know. I can tell you that these Buell Stromboss will blast anything out of the way. They came off of a old fire truck I replaced with new type horns. My wife loves them. She can blast people and they think a Train is behind them.LOLNone

Attachments

• Jan08 083.jpg
    Jan08 083.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Jan08 085.jpg
    Jan08 085.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Jan08 084.jpg
    Jan08 084.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Jan08 089.jpg
    Jan08 089.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Jan08 092.jpg
    Jan08 092.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Jan08 093.jpg
    Jan08 093.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Jan08 094.jpg
    Jan08 094.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Jan08 095.jpg
    Jan08 095.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 55

BluegrassMan

Loco:
Thanks for the pix of your tank/horn mount. The UPS guy delivered mine a couple days ago. The Trio of horns are pretty compact, I'm still hoping to squeeze them behind the front bumper, with the tank along the framerail. I'll probably wait till spring when it warms up better to tackle this job. I'd never get the garage-ma-hal warm enough (20' ceiling). Can't wait to play with them, I might hook em' up to my air compressor to "test" them.

jbeletti

Denny,

Can you provide a link to the eBay item you bought. I think my truck would love to have a bit more that the standard horn on it. I already have 2 compressors and tanks under the body along the frame rails so it may be a challenge to find room. I'd hope the compressor/tank I have for tools and tires will provide enough for horns. Link Mfg would not warrant the truck's air ride suspension system if I Tee'd off of their compressor/tank for tools/tires so I had to put in the second system.

Jim

BluegrassMan

Jim:

Hi Jim and all, here is the company's website. They also have an Ebay store as well. http://www.siege-engineering.com. I bought mine off Ebay, Jim I'm sure you can just buy the horns and hookup "without" the compressor and tank. It'd be cheaper too.
Go on their site and click on the Sound sample, they are hooked up to a Hummer H2. Be prepared...don't have your sound way up.

BluegrassMan

HI Guy:

Well, the train horns are FINALLY on, I gave up waiting on the weather; I took the truck to a customizer down the road. They charged me 4hrs. labor.

I have the compressor/tank attached to the framerail, the horns are there too,pointing down. The sound hits the ground and bounces out.I had them put an A-B switch on so I can go back to the wimpy horn, MAN ARE THEY LOUD! Went to Wash DC Sunday, Yeah, YOU BET I needed to use them! Those people are crazy. Now they have hearing problems to boot! Hee Hee.

tbsimmons

I have some from the same company on my truck. I have a 4 horn set-up. It is a lot louder than I expected. I have a 5 gallon air tank and it will suck it down pretty quick.