Took Delivery On My New Ram 3500 Today

alex00

I ordered a 2014 Ram 3500 in early December. My dealer was great about keeping me updated, and had much more detailed information than the Ram VOTS website. It was pretty neat getting emails that it was on a train in Mexico, then crossing the border, into Arizona, through LA, eventually to Benicia on Wednesday. Somehow, they managed to find a transport, get it off the train, and get it to the dealership in a day and a half. It took exactly 7 weeks to the day from order to delivery.

I raced down to the dealership as soon as I got the call. It was still dirty from the ride up, but still looked great. We finished the paperwork while they detailed the truck. The best part was I took delivery before the rebate expired. I was really worried the truck wouldn't be here until Tuesday, causing me to lose out on the $3k rebate.

All I can say is wow! It rides better than I imagined. Amazingly, I never test drove one. I bought it on specs alone. It is as smooth as my MIL's brand new Cadillac. It also has every bell and whistle you can imagine. I'm still finding buttons and switches. I feel like a kid on Christmas getting a new bicycle. I've been out in the driveway most of the night, playing with settings and driving around town. I'm not sure how long it's going to take for the novelty to wear off, but I am one happy camper.

I was really worried when I heard that Fiat took over Chrysler a few weeks ago, but the Fiat badges don't look half bad. They even replaced the Longhorn badges with the Abarth badges. It has a racier feel now.

Fiat 3500.jpg

20140131_205640.jpg20140131_205717.jpg20140131_205652.jpg
Just kidding, there is not a trace of Fiat on this thing. It's as Chrysler as my last Ram. I'll post up better pictures when the sun comes up.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Awesome truck!

That is the same color we will get when I replace (probably next year) my now 14 year old Dodge Ram, which is still running RAM TOUGH!

Campsite-IMGP0810.jpgCamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg4wheelinSig-IMGP3116.jpgTaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpgSandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpgCampout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
How often do you have to change the spaghetti?

(Sorry...couldn't resist! BTW...my folks retired from Chrysler...I've been driving their products for 40+ yrs)

DW_Gray

Congratulations! These Rams are made for towing heavy trailers. Much heavier than the company lets on.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

alex00

Thanks everyone. Is it sad I went to bed late and got up early just to play with the new toy? Here are some daylight photos.

I ended up going with the Curt Q24 hitch and Reese adapter.

011.JPG058.jpg017.jpg067.JPG049.JPG021.JPG024.JPG

scottyb

Beautiful truck Alex. I have to admit that you had me going with the Fiat badge. Those Laramie Longhorns are just gorgeous. Are those BiXenon headlights?

Hmmmmm! I think I may have to take a hard look at one when the time comes.

alex00

Scotty - Thank you. Those are the bi-xenon headlamps. I'm really happy with the low beam, and the high beam function is like daylight. If I recall correctly, the Laramie is the first trim package the projector lamps are available. The only thing I wish it had was the LED DRLs like everyone else is using. I love the look of white LEDs on a vehicle.

alex00

Congrats dodge rider. Very nice interior and color!

Thanks Al. Now the list of additions begins.

Speaking of which, I installed my hitch this morning.
002.JPG
The Reese Adapter plate needed a bit of massaging to line up. Once I figured out that the instructions had all the steps I needed, it was smooth sailing getting it installed and lined up.

005.JPG
The Curt hitch went together in a pretty straight forward manner. I learned my lesson, and made sure to use the instructions. I did have to ream out the holes on the Reese Adapter for the pins to slide through. A few minutes with the largest drill bit I could find solved the problem.

017.JPG024.JPG028.JPG033.JPG
Everything installed and ready to couple. I'm still not sold on the worthiness of the rear cargo camera. We'll see if it is any benefit hitching with the folded tonneau cover. As it sits now, I have a clear view from the driver seat. If I had it to do over, I would have ordered the self dimming high beams and rain sensing wipers. They were competing options. My SOB fiver (10,500 GVW) barely squats the truck.

Overall I am impressed with the fifth wheel prep package/Reese/Curt combo. It is very similar to my old B&W Companion that it leaves a clean bed. The part I really like about this setup is there are no tools needed to install/remove the hitch. The Companion was only five bolts, but when it comes to convenience, this new setup wins.

And Scotty, I was wrong. The headlights are not bi-xenon. They are bi-halogen. There is a separate halogen high beam buried deep inside the housing. The projectors stay on and readjust when the high beams are activated, but there is a supplemental halogen bulb.

scottyb

Personally, I would love to have the rear cargo camera. That looks great. Is it switched manually to where it overrides the backup camera? I can't see my hitch because of my toolbox.

DesertThumper

Thanks Al. Now the list of additions begins. Speaking of which, I installed my hitch this morning. View attachment 28320 The Reese Adapter plate needed a bit of massaging to line up. Once I figured out that the instructions had all the steps I needed, it was smooth sailing getting it installed and lined up. View attachment 28321 The Curt hitch went together in a pretty straight forward manner. I learned my lesson, and made sure to use the instructions. I did have to ream out the holes on the Reese Adapter for the pins to slide through. A few minutes with the largest drill bit I could find solved the problem. View attachment 28322View attachment 28323View attachment 28324View attachment 28325 Everything installed and ready to couple. I'm still not sold on the worthiness of the rear cargo camera. We'll see if it is any benefit hitching with the folded tonneau cover. As it sits now, I have a clear view from the driver seat. If I had it to do over, I would have ordered the self dimming high beams and rain sensing wipers. They were competing options. My SOB fiver (10,500 GVW) barely squats the truck. Overall I am impressed with the fifth wheel prep package/Reese/Curt combo. It is very similar to my old B&W Companion that it leaves a clean bed. The part I really like about this setup is there are no tools needed to install/remove the hitch. The Companion was only five bolts, but when it comes to convenience, this new setup wins. And Scotty, I was wrong. The headlights are not bi-xenon. They are bi-halogen. There is a separate halogen high beam buried deep inside the housing. The projectors stay on and readjust when the high beams are activated, but there is a supplemental halogen bulb.
Anytime brother. Look at you, the second day of owning your new rig, you have the good stuff on the truck already and hooked up to your old trailer. Lol. I can't imagine how you would do with the rest of the stuff to be added. Breath in breath out...

Is that your old trailer? Funny how the shirt design has an eagle on it too. Never have seen your old trailer before. That's crazy man.