Pin Weight

portliz

We are looking at a Big Country 3070. We have a 2008 Chev Crew Cab 2500 Diesel. I think we are over pin weight. Who is towing with the same combination? Did you add anything to the truck?

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
I had a 2008 Chevy diesel 2500 extended cab with which I was pulling a Bighorn 3055. I believe the two models are comparable in weights.

I added a "Maxloader Spring Support System" consisting of three additional spring leaves. I had this set-up for 5 years without any issues.

Gizzy

We pull our Big Horn 3070 with a 2006 Chevy 2500 LB Crew Cab SRW and YES we do have a pin weight problem. Had the rig weighed at the Goshen rally and found it to be 250 over the allowed 3000lb max.
Had to unload as much as possible from the coach. Started by getting rid of much "might need" stuff from the front compartment and the basement and then went upstairs and unloaded LOTS of clothes in the front closet (this REALLY created tension with DW).
We couldn't "shift" the weight as there is really no place to store in the rear of the coach. Will see what happens next time we get it weighed.
Keep in mind that we do have dual pane windows and 2nd A/C. Also have the Level Up installed but do not know if that adds much. I did install air bags on the truck, but that does not increase the load limit, just the ability to keep the truck level (not really needed, but makes me feel better)
By the way, the pin weight was 3250 lbs last time we weighed and our truck and hitch each have a 3000 limit. It really does not take much to add to the pin weight with this coach, but we love the layout and have no plans to change any time soon.
I believe that Heartland (Lippert) needs to look closely at the location of the axles on this coach and perhaps move them a little bit forward since there is not much weight in the rear like on the larger coaches.

DW_Gray

Rather than thinking your pin weight may be overweight, weigh your rig. There is a resourceful website with all the information you need to know to help you with the process. Visit Fifth Wheel St.

stevenssr

I have the BC 3070 RE, but haven't weighed mine yet. I do plan to weigh it this summer and see how it comes out. I don't have a washer/dryer or generator and don't keep a lot in the front compartments. I'd be curious to see the pin weight on this unit when equipped with those heavy items up front. I'm guessing I have a couple of hundred pounds in the basement. It will be interesting to see how the scales come out. I want to see how much cushion I have, if any. The Big Horn 3010RE is essentially the same layout. Maybe someone with that unit can weigh in (no pun intended).
Scott

portliz

Rather than thinking your pin weight may be overweight, weigh your rig. There is a resourceful website with all the information you need to know to help you with the process. Visit Fifth Wheel St.

We are just looking right now. The dealer at home (Ontario) has offered to let us hook up and take it to the scales. We are in Florida right now. Home in April. Guess we will have to weight (lol) until we get home.