TOWMAX Tire Failure

Marbill

My story is no different than countless others I've seen on this and other forums. I'm running TOWMAX tires on my 2014 Bighorn 3260EL 5'er - purchased 7 months ago and less than 2000 miles on the rig. I've been religious on maintaining tire pressure (80 psi), keeping the tires covered when parked, and inspecting regularly. Nonetheless, returning from a long weekend of camping I experienced a catastrophic failure of the right rear tire on my Bighorn after about an hour on the road - a loud bang like a shotgun going off that I heard inside my truck at highway speed with windows up and radio on. Road conditions were excellent, it was a 65 degree day, and my speed was 60mph. Fortunately, I was fairly close to a service station where I could get off the road. I was amazed at the damage caused by the tire failure. My 5'er is now at my local Camping World waiting on parts for $3000+ in repairs. This all leads to my question for anyone familiar with the failure problems with TOWMAX tires. Has anyone had success pursuing the tire manufacturer or Heartland for damages caused by failures of this piece of crap tire? If any one from Heartland is reading this, why do you continue to use this tire? Finally, I'm planning on replacing the 4 remaining tires as I don't want to risk the evidently pretty favorable odds of this happening again. Any good recommendations for a reliable tire to choose for replacing the TOWMAX set?

danemayer

Hi Marbill,

Sorry to hear about the damage to your rig. It sounds like you're familiar with the many prior discussion threads about tire failures. I think most people file claims with their insurance companies to pay for the damage to the trailer.

If your wheels are rated for 110psi, you might want to change to Goodyear G614 tires. They're standard on Landmarks and have very few reports of tire failures.

Fortunately, I was fairly close to a service station where I could get off the road.
If you continued to drive on 3 tires for more than a very short distance, you would have seriously overloaded the surviving tire and axle on the side that failed. In addition to the tire replacements, you may want to have your axle checked for damage.

Lynn1130

Yes. I contacted Heartland who referred me to TBC Corp. who filed the claim with Dynamic Tire in Ontario. That routing may have changed so I would start with Heartland.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's an open question. When Heartland Engineering came up with the grand idea to put E-rated tires where they once put G's, did Purchasing simultaneously get the brainstorm to buy Towmax tires?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My story is no different than countless others I've seen on this and other forums. I'm running TOWMAX tires on my 2014 Bighorn 3260EL 5'er - purchased 7 months ago and less than 2000 miles on the rig. I've been religious on maintaining tire pressure (80 psi), keeping the tires covered when parked, and inspecting regularly. Nonetheless, returning from a long weekend of camping I experienced a catastrophic failure of the right rear tire on my Bighorn after about an hour on the road - a loud bang like a shotgun going off that I heard inside my truck at highway speed with windows up and radio on. Road conditions were excellent, it was a 65 degree day, and my speed was 60mph. Fortunately, I was fairly close to a service station where I could get off the road. I was amazed at the damage caused by the tire failure. My 5'er is now at my local Camping World waiting on parts for $3000+ in repairs. This all leads to my question for anyone familiar with the failure problems with TOWMAX tires. Has anyone had success pursuing the tire manufacturer or Heartland for damages caused by failures of this piece of crap tire? If any one from Heartland is reading this, why do you continue to use this tire? Finally, I'm planning on replacing the 4 remaining tires as I don't want to risk the evidently pretty favorable odds of this happening again. Any good recommendations for a reliable tire to choose for replacing the TOWMAX set?

So sorry to hear this. Hopefully other potential owners and anyone that currently has TowMax will see and realize these tires are unpredictable. It would be smarter to change than to continue to assume that it won't happen to you.

Heartland ought to consider other options, there is too much of a trend, going back a number of years now.

Erika

tmcran

My neighbor has a new Cyclone. After about 800 miles the tread came off one of his Towmax tires. A week later he noticed two tires had large bubbles. Obviously he has installed new tires of another brand.

scottyb

Marbill, I am very sorry you have to go through this. Not only is it expensive but disrupting as well. Getting stranded on the highway, being without your rig for several weeks, are all costs that you will never re-coup.

Another thing that I'm sorry about is that we are still having these conversations for model year 2014, and that there are still folks defending them.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Had all my towmax tires removed from my new Silverado before I picked it up at the dealer. Did not want to take any chances that I would get a blow out on the road. Even the dealer said it was a good choice.

jdamude

Hi Marbill,

This is so disappointing to here. I know Heartland monitors this forum yet there is nothing being done. I purchased a new BC 3650RL in November. We towed it home from the dealer (approximately 175 miles) and I just noticed the other day that there is a bulge in one of the tires.

I have already committed to changing the tires and we are just waiting for nicer weather.

I called Heartland and asked them to take the tires back and I would pay the upgrade, but they wouldn't participate.

Jeff

TXTiger

If your rims won't hold the 110 psi rated tires another upgrade option would be the Mitchilen XPS Ribs. A great tire with a 80 psi rating. You should also call Heartland Customer Service. They will refer you to TBC and/or Tredit Tire who will offer you a replacement tire or a SMALL credit for the bad tires you are replacing. Take the credit and get new tires all around.

Beemer

I'm new to the forum and a new owner. I took delivery of my CY4100 first of January. Mine came with the Towmax tires. So my question is; has anyone had any longevity out of these tires, or are they just a grenade waiting to explode?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Hi Beemer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Some folks have had good service from the tires,, some not so good. The tires have a very poor rating from almost everyone.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy. Check out the Heartland Owners Club and join us at a rally.

Jim M

Hippy

Get RID OF THEM FAST! Your asking for trouble..Three out 4 separated on my Bighorn with less than 3,000 miles and only 6 months from purchase. Four of those months, it was in the shop for warranty work.
I'm one of the fortunate ones that noticed the separations when we got home from a trip. After all the phone calls and complaints I was only given $89.00 for each of the 3 bad ones. They didn't want to replace the fourth even though they where all from the same lot. The money which they said I was lucky to get didn't even pay for 1 of my tires I upgraded (Goodyears) too.

wdk450

Regarding getting satisfaction from Towmax or Heartland, I would refer you to the January 2014 issue of Trailer Life Magazine, and the reader's action line article.

Thedonald

Well once again and again and again the same story. How can anyone with a conscience keep allowing this to happen. If Heartland puts 614s on Landmarks why can't they offer a switch out at their cost plus shipping or just authorize local buys with a dollar reimbursement representing their cost. It sure is going to cost much more when someone gets seriously hurt or worse. I also don't know how RV dealers can keep selling these rigs. Maybe they don't fully understand the issue?? Maybe we should help them?? I happen to know one that is dropping the brand.

57chevyconvt

I concur with Hippy's recommendation. Get RID of THEM FAST! My experience is very similar to most the numerous post on the subject of TOWMAX tires. Have about 20,000 miles on a set of GY G614 with no problems. When I read the forum post on this subject, I cannot but wonder how many pages would be in a book if all these comments and recommendations were assembled into a novel titled "TOWMAX TIRES".

Birchwood

I have traveled to Texas and Florida with our Landamark for 5 years now and tires aren't an issue.Goodyear 614 ..... 110 psi .

Beemer

Sounds like I need to visit the tire store. I wonder if there is any trade in value from dDiscount Tire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hippy

Yes.
They will only give you $25.00 dollars. I tried to get them to buy my brand new spare with no miles and only 6 months old. What a laugh.
I decided to keep it. All I would need it for is to get me to the nearest repair center if and only if one of my Gooyear tires goes out on me. Then I'll hope the Tow max, never used will at least make it to the nearst shop. I'll hold my breath.

scottyb

Beemer congratulations on your new 4100. You are one of the fortunate ones like me that had the advantage of reading these reports before something happens. My rig never hit the highway before it went to Discount Tire and got 6 new Michellin XPS Ribs. 11K miles later, no regrets and no drama. It's just a hard pill to swallow having to spend 2200 on a brand new and expensive toy.