Need help with my fender skirts

rvlover

I purchased a 2011 19ft North Trail Focus Edition last year. Prior to agreeing on the purchase the dealer replaced the fender skirts as they were cracked. 3 trips later and they are cracked again! We noticed they flap in the wind and aren't secured to anything. I read somewhere online that some North Trails came without the brackets and that it was a faulty part for some. When I called North Trail and spoke to Eric (wouldn't give me his last name as he said he was the only Eric in parts) he was rude and kept asking me why I was going to have the dealer call him. I told him 3x that the dealer had questions about the trailer not having the brackets when they received it. He said "so they want us to cover it? Not going to happen we only cover the original owner." I explained to him that I didn't know what exactly they were going to ask him as he was asking me to get in to the operation of their mind. I said that I simply didn't want to be in the middle of a situation that I personally wasn't going to fix. Ultimately, I want the fender skirts to stay in place and not have to be replaced as they are obviously not attached as they should be. I think when the dealer initially received the trailer it was missing the brackets and they just replaced the plastic. Also, this very rude Eric said some have it and some don't but he couldn't tell me which trailers should have it. I'm frustrated because I just want them fixed and fixed correctly but nobody seems to know whether or not this model should have had them.... Can anybody help out or point me in the direction of somebody who can tell me if my trailer was supposed to have them or not? Also, I asked for the Supervisor to which Eric replied with "he's gone." I asked for his name and he said his name is Jim Fenner. When I asked for the spelling of Jim's last name the ever so rude penny pinching Eric responded with the curt "it's just like it's spelled." I really wish I would've called this number prior to purchase to see what type of customer service I would be dealing with if I had any issues. That would've played a serious part in my decision to purchase from North Trail. I mean all I wanted to know was if my model came standard with the brackets/supports or not. It was a very simple question that I believe would have helped in my quest for who's responsibility it should be to ensure they are replaced properly. I never insinuated his monetary responsibility or the dealers monetary responsibility. Heck I just want it fixed whether I do it myself or the dealer. Instead I received an extremely short, rude, & pompous man whom kept asking what I wanted from him money wise. I wanted nothing monetary from him or his company, just a start to a solution to an ongoing problem. Also, I'm in MI if that helps.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Rvlover and welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear that you are having problems with your fender skirt.
If the skirts are not braced, it is an easy fix that your dealer should be able to take care of.
I have done it several times using brackets that I found at Menards at a cost of only a few dollars.
You mentioned that you did not want to put yourself in the middle of a situation, but it sounds like you did.
If the dealer has questions about the placement of the bracket he should be the one making the call.
Good luck and come back to let us know how you make out.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

I passed this issue to customer service last night. I received a response this morning. My understanding is that Jim Fenner has now spoken with you on this and has spoken with your dealer and given him instruction on how to brace the fender.

Wishing you many happy trips in your North Trail.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Jim,

Is it possible to have the bracing solution posted to the forum as other North trail owners may find this information useful.

scottyb

This is not only for North Trails. The fenders on my Cyclone flapped a lot from the time I 1st got it. I told the dealer about it when it was in for service, but since it wasn't yet broken, nothing was done. On the next trip it flapped enough on one side until one of them cracked and the screws pulled out. I stopped and removed it before it totally destroyed itself. HL sent a new set for that side and I am going to install them. It looks to me like there needs to be some type of metal backing. They are just screwed to the siding and I would like to see what others are doing as well. I want to beef up all of them preemptively.

DesertThumper

My RW fender skirts were not button down either. I was pretty ****ed off about that after a new purchase. Where's the QC at the factory? Anyways, I looked underneath both sides and did their work for them. Use stainless steel screws because the ones they use are not. One was found broken off and rusted. Keep in mind, a new trailer I have here. I went to both sides and properly secured and drilled new holes for the screw to go in. I know your feeling. Anyone buying a new trailer, you might want to check very well during and before delivery that everything is working and secured safely. Don't risk a road hazard.

57chevyconvt

This my third RV. The other two were SOB, I have added fender skirt brackets to support the skirts on all three RV's. Since I had experienced the problem with the first two trailers, one of the first upgrades to the BH was to add fender skirt bracket for additional support of the plastic skirt between the tires. Since I am a sheet metal worker and welder, the brackets were not a problem. Others have used clothes closet center rod supports for support brackets. Some food for thought.

andy

Mine had a few supports under them but they still flapped . I used spray foam under them and now they are rock solid .I scuffed the underside of the skirts with coarse sandpaper. you may have to spray them two or three times to build coats an then I trimmed the foam with a knife . Yes great stuff spray foam

Last edited:

jbeletti

Mine had a few supports under them but they still flapped . I used spray foam under them and now they are rock solid .I scuffed the underside of the skirts with coarse sandpaper. you may have to spray them two or three times to build coats an then I trimmed the foam with a knife

Awesome tip!

scottyb

Mine had a few supports under them but they still flapped . I used spray foam under them and now they are rock solid .I scuffed the underside of the skirts with coarse sandpaper. you may have to spray them two or three times to build coats an then I trimmed the foam with a knife

Are you talking about the expanding foam like "Great Stuff".

Others have used clothes closet center rod supports for support brackets. Some food for thought.

That's a good idea. I'll have to look under there to see where to attach something.

Use stainless steel screws because the ones they use are not.
Al, I was looking at the Tek screws that I used for the roof on my RV carport and the color matches very well. They are slightly larger in dia and I was thinking that the rubber seal might help dampen the vibration some. Any thoughts?

DesertThumper

Are you talking about the expanding foam like "Great Stuff".

That's a good idea. I'll have to look under there to see where to attach something.

Al, I was looking at the Tek screws that I used for the roof on my RV carport and the color matches very well. They are slightly larger in dia and I was thinking that the rubber seal might help dampen the vibration some. Any thoughts?
Scotty, I have some and I'm sure it will help. I just used the stainless steel so I know that I won't have to worry for a while. The brackets are there too, the screw was found broken off when we picked up the trailer from the dealer.

The foam is a good idea too. Since the sheet metal is so thin. We applied the foam to certain vehicles when a client requested when I was a mechanic.

iaflatlander

I passed this issue to customer service last night. I received a response this morning. My understanding is that Jim Fenner has now spoken with you on this and has spoken with your dealer and given him instruction on how to brace the fender.

Wishing you many happy trips in your North Trail.

Incredible. It is very reassuring to see this type of customer support. One of the reasons I own a Heartland!

wildwolfproducts

Mine had a few supports under them but they still flapped . I used spray foam under them and now they are rock solid .I scuffed the underside of the skirts with coarse sandpaper. you may have to spray them two or three times to build coats an then I trimmed the foam with a knife . Yes great stuff spray foam

Will try this on my Key largo as it has the same issues. And both sides has cracks in them. Used super glue to fill the cracks and have not had any issues. But I think the company could use better skirts or brace these better. As they flap around like a piece of paper back there.
Mine cracked in winds while the slides were out. Thinking the winds got up to 45 MPH, but being I had pulled it on the interstate's that should have not caused it.
Pete

wildwolfproducts

Did you close the backs off to do this? or just let it build up? One of mine from sitting outside last week has a crack 5" long down the middle again.:mad: Will be trying this. And also seeing if I can get a pair that matches our painted ones. Put them up as it looks like I will need them before lone. Will sure brace the new ones along with foam fill them.
Pete