Garmin RV 760 ????

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Well, my new job placement has mandated the upgrade to a new GPS. I was interested in the new Garmin RV 760 GPS.

Just few questions-

-For the part-time RV traveler and a full-time business traveler, are the RV parameters easily changeable from when I travel with the RV to when I travel in my car?

-is the large 7 inch screen a distraction sitting on the dash or on the windshield? Does it obstruct your view much?

-With the cost right around $400, is it worth the extra money over a standard GPS?

I put about 50+ thousand miles a year on for business so the majority of the time it will be used in my car. My thoughts are, since I have to upgrade, would it be nice to throw the GPS in the truck and have the benefits of the RV parameters and information.

Thanks for the help
Jamie

olcoon

I don't have it, but am thinking when I upgrade, I'll probably get one. About the only thing I know is what little I've heard on here & so far it sounds favorable. I know txbobcat has one, & I think a few others.

CrazyCooter

I have the Dezl 760 and it ask on startup which vehicle profile I want to use. Truck, RV, or auto. I would assume the RV version would be much the same.

Coming from the older Garmin with 4" max screen size, I really like the 7" screen and the visibility of the animated lane position assistance when driving through crazy unfamiliar interchanges. My problem has been where to mount it where is doesn't obstruct vision while also being within reach. I played with it at my desk a couple of nights before the last trip and learned more of the voice commands, so reaching it went down on the priority list.

I have been pretty irritated with it's routing in truck or RV mode.....it is definitely on the cautious side. So much that it will route you 100's of mile out of the way to avoid a narrower road and wasn't a problem!

Quite honestly, I don't like the routing of any of the GPS devices I have used to date. My main use for them is for when I'm way off the road and only then as a backup to paper maps. I'm a young man trapped by the old ways and a creature of habit I guess.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Quite honestly, I don't like the routing of any of the GPS devices I have used to date. My main use for them is for when I'm way off the road and only then as a backup to paper maps. I'm a young man trapped by the old ways and a creature of habit I guess.

Thanks for the info. I also plan out every longer trip on a good old-fashioned paper map. It allows me to look outside the initial route and see if there's any better way to get there.

oldmannj

Jamie, Texasbobcat has a thread on here that is pretty informative. I just can't remember the title. I've been following it when I see a new post. "just got a new rv760" or something similar to that. If you can find it it's a good read. ED.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jamie, Texasbobcat has a thread on here that is pretty informative. I just can't remember the title. I've been following it when I see a new post. "just got a new rv760" or something similar to that. If you can find it it's a good read. ED.
HERE IS THE LINK to Bobcats review.

Peace
Dave