15" LT tires?

BobX2

I've been reading all the ST-vs-LT threads and wouldn't mind going with an LT tire to replace the Towmax tires on my new XLT. However, there don't seem to be many LT tires in the 15" size. Anyone have any suggestions, or am I stuck with upgrading to a Carlisle, load range E ST? They would give me a cushion of about 1,300 lbs. over my trailer rating of 9,999 lbs. max. Buying new 16" wheels is NOT an option for me. I don't know if the Maxxis 8008 is a better tire or not, not to mention they would be about $160 more for a set over the Carlisle's. Both have the same load rating. After all the horror stories I've been reading about the Towmax tires, which my dealer confirmed is an issue, I'm not comfortable leaving them on and want to replace them ASAP.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've been reading all the ST-vs-LT threads and wouldn't mind going with an LT tire to replace the Towmax tires on my new XLT. However, there don't seem to be many LT tires in the 15" size. Anyone have any suggestions, or am I stuck with upgrading to a Carlisle, load range E ST? They would give me a cushion of about 1,300 lbs. over my trailer rating of 9,999 lbs. max. Buying new 16" wheels is NOT an option for me. I don't know if the Maxxis 8008 is a better tire or not, not to mention they would be about $160 more for a set over the Carlisle's. Both have the same load rating. After all the horror stories I've been reading about the Towmax tires, which my dealer confirmed is an issue, I'm not comfortable leaving them on and want to replace them ASAP.

Which dealership did you get your trailer from?

We got ours from Discount RV at I-25 and Highway 119 (Longmont exit) . . . 15 minute drive from home!

We live on the northern side of Thornton, so the dealerships up there made more sense for us rather than having to drive over to the Wheatridge RV alley when we need service.

They never warned us about the BlowMax tires . . .

Matter of fact, they touted the same thing that the Heartland brochures says . . . "We don't even skimp on the tires!".

I have about 3,000 miles on our tires (between what we have put on them and transit from the factory in Elkhart, Indiana).

They still look good . . . but I just don't trust them anymore and will be replacing them this spring.

Our old trailer (1978 24-foot Coachman Cadet) had 15" off-road LT tires on it when we bought it . . . and who knows how long they were on it then?

We owned it for 12 years and I never once worried about tires . . . and they are probably still on it (it is now a hunter's cabin up in the mountains).

But the BlowMax tires that came on our 2013 Trail Runner just can't be trusted after all of the stuff I've read here about them.

Last edited:

BobX2

Which dealership did you get your trailer from?

We got ours from Discount RV at I-25 and Highway 119 (Longmont exit) . . . 15 minute drive from home!

We live on the northern side of Thornton, so the dealerships up there made more sense for us rather than having to drive over to the Wheatridge RV through alley when we need service.

They never warned us about the BlowMax tires . . .

Matter of fact, they touted the same thing that the Heartland brochures says . . . "We don't even skimp on the tires!".

I have about 3,000 miles on our tires (between what we have put on them and transit from the factory in Elkhart, Indiana).

They still look good . . . but I just don't trust them anymore and will be replacing them this spring.

Our old trailer (1978 24-foot Coachman Cadet) had 15" off-road LT tires on it when we bought it . . . and who knows how long they were on it then?

We owned it for 12 years and I never once worried about tires . . . and they are probably still on it (it is now a hunter's cabin up in the mountains).

But the BlowMax tires that came on our 2013 Trail Runner just can't be trusted after all of the stuff I've read here about them.

I bought ours from Windish RV in Lakewood. I was the one who brought up the subject about the tires while we were filling out the paperwork and they agreed there was an issue. We live in the Henderson area, but my office is just across I-25 from their Longmont location. It's handy if I need to take it in for service. I bought my previous rv from them as well and took it in a couple of times.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have Maxxis 8008 but in 16". Been very pleased with them, wore them out with about 30k miles. Got another set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk