Kitchen Flooring Installed

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I finally installed the laminate flooring in the Horn today. I still need to silicone the edge under the sink area and finish up the trim but it sure makes a nice change. I had a concern regarding the slide dragging across the carpet/floor transition. I checked it before starting and think it will clear. Before and after pics attach
After.JPG
ed. I tried but could not get them to upload. I had trouble after the updates to the forum attaching pics in an earlier thread but Jim got it to work. Now it's broken again:confused:
Before.JPG

jbeletti

Hi Ray,

It looks liek you tried to do an "Insert Image", using the image icon in the Reply to Thread editor. This function can only be used for images that are hosted. Looking at the path of your image, it is on your PC, not on a web host.

You should however be able to use the Manage Attachments function farther down in the editor to find, select and upload up to 10 images.

PM or email with any questions - happy to help.

Jim

linuxkidd

Hey Ray,
We're looking to do Pergo flooring throughout our Landmark. I'm very interested in seeing your pictures, and hearing for sure if you have any issues with your slides. Even if the slides clear the flooring, is there any drag marks, etc?

Thanks!
LK

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Hey Ray,
We're looking to do Pergo flooring throughout our Landmark. I'm very interested in seeing your pictures, and hearing for sure if you have any issues with your slides. Even if the slides clear the flooring, is there any drag marks, etc?

Thanks!
LK

We put Pergo flooring in our kitchen and first floor bath and hallway in our house. My wife now thinks that it would have been better to go with real wood and not a laminate - too hard to keep it looking good. You may want to think about this when you are choosing a different flooring in your Landmark.

jpmorgan37

When we built our house, we put in Laminate flooring in the kitchen, dining room and entry way. Sue used the Swiffer (sp?) wet pads to clean it and it did a great job and we loved how it looked and held up. We've talked about putting it in our Grand Canyon, but because we both spend most of our time barefoot and Brandy slips on slick floors, we decided to stay with carpet.

John

jpmorgan37

Ray;

I would try to get a thin plastic runner or maybe just some thin place mats and put them on the laminate where the rollers rest when traveling. That should help keep any sanding or polishing from the rollers where they contact the laminate.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Ray;

I would try to get a thin plastic runner or maybe just some thin place mats and put them on the laminate where the rollers rest when traveling. That should help keep any sanding or polishing from the rollers where they contact the laminate.

John
Right on the money JP. We were thinking of using those thin plastic cutting mats we use for cutting boards but take uo sooo much less space. About $1.50 for 2 of them. As soon as Jim & I get this attachment bug worked out I'll post pictures. I just finished caulking around the kitchen base in case we spill:eek:.

Thickness of laminated floor

Hello Ray!

What is the thickness of your laminated floor? We also want to replace the carpet with laminated floor in the very near future. I look forward to see your pictures. Thank you in advance!

Santiago

linuxkidd

In the house we're selling in Virginia, we installed Pergo at the beginning of '07 and LOVED it.. So, our alergies thanked us and rewarded us with many an easy breathing day. We definitely intend on doing Pergo in the landmark.. Just gotta wait for the wallet to recover from the Landmark's purchase! :)

Thanks for the tips!
LK

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Hello Ray!

What is the thickness of your laminated floor? We also want to replace the carpet with laminated floor in the very near future. I look forward to see your pictures. Thank you in advance!

Santiago
I believe I saw 13/32 on the box. It's the stock laminate Home Depot sells. It's the only in stock laminate that looks like tile, at least in the Corpus Christi store. It is very realistic looking and had random size tiles and patterns and has the underlayment attached. Easy enough to install but very fragile locking edges take little to bugger up:eek:.

Wife and I are also close to installing the laminante flooring in our Landmark. We purchased the flooring at Costco, but returned it because we were not sure it would work. I did the flooring in Sierra 5th wheel we had previously to the Landmark, and what a difference it made!

cdbMidland

When we built our house, we put in Laminate flooring in the kitchen, dining room and entry way. Sue used the Swiffer (sp?) wet pads to clean it and it did a great job and we loved how it looked and held up. We've talked about putting it in our Grand Canyon, but because we both spend most of our time barefoot and Brandy slips on slick floors, we decided to stay with carpet.

John

John, did you put Pergo tile laminate or wood laminate? I have put down both in my house. No problem with the tile laminate, but it is the wood-style laminate that my wife and I are not satisfied with. We have used the Swifter wet pads and the Pergo floor cleaner.

I wonder if, in looking at these threads, the writers are talking about tile or wood.

linuxkidd

We have 2 dogs and a ton of traffic. Had great success with it.

We used Pergo Laminate... Can't remember the exact name of the style, and it seems Lowes has moved on to a newer version anyway... This Pergo came with the underlayment attached to the back of the planks and worked QUITE well, was very easy to install, and looks great IMO..

LK

Last edited:

jpmorgan37

Hi Chuck;

It was the wood laminate. I put a 1/8 cushion under it as there was no cushion on the "board". We have the tile laminate in the Grand Canyon in the kitchen area. After a year, I was starting to notice where the roller sits when we are transporting was getting polished, so now we put down a place mat to preserve it.

Take care,

John

cdbMidland

LK's looks exactly like I put down in the kitchen, hall and main floor bath, and it was the older type Pergo. Ours does not look that good even though DW cleans it with Swifter pads bi-weekly. Only she and I for the most part are in the house. Wished ours looked as good as LK's flooring does. Ours does not look as shiny as real wood.

The first bathroom on the second floor was done with Pergo tile-style and the second bath with a duPont tile-style laminate. We have been very pleased with those two rooms.

Anyway, for anyone wishing to put down laminate in their 5ers, I hope they get the results that LK and John did. As for me, I like the linoleum that Heartland installed in our BH.

Ray LeTourneau

Trying again. OK I got it to work this time. I don't know what was going wrong but either Jim or Chris got it fixed:D The pictures of the floor are here.

Attachments

• Before.JPG
    Before.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 161
  • After.JPG
    After.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 166

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Ray, can the new flooring be put down over the existing floor. Our coach is new and does not have any damage to the floor. Bob

linuxkidd

You must at least remove the carpet and any padding. You want to be directly on the subfloor ( which is the chip board you see in the first picture that Ray posted above. ) You will also need to tend to any squeaky or un-even flooring before you lay the new floor down.

LK

Ray LeTourneau

Ray, can the new flooring be put down over the existing floor. Our coach is new and does not have any damage to the floor. Bob
According to the directions the laminate can be installed over vinyl tile or linoleum. Some of the main things to check are flatness of the floor, no dips or large low spots. Like LK said, if you have any squeeks, it would be best to take care of those first. That's why I did the laminate in the 1st place. I had to remove the linoleum to find studs and repair squeeks. I also had to square off the rounded carpet near the entry door. It would have been tricky to trim around a curve. If you installed it over the vinyl, it might just be too high for the slide out to clear. I'm hoping I'm OK but I'll watch it close when we move. I really like the tile pattern we chose. It's very close to the color of the original vinyl except fot the random tile size and pattern. Home Depot in stock. $3.27/sq. ft. Needed 3 boxes.

linuxkidd

Ray:
After looking at your pictures a little closer... I'm wondering if you undercut your cabinets and such to allow for the gap that the Pergo floating floor requires... If not, I'd be worried that your Pergo will buckle when it heats up due to expansion.

Just something to check! It looks great!
LK