RV Site at Shell Station on I-39 in North Central IL

jbeletti

Hi all,

On our way back from a family reunion in Southern Illinois last week, we fueled up at a BP station on I-39 in north central Illinois. As we were pulling out, I noticed at the Princess Wenona Shell Station next door that there were 6 RV sites.

Granted, the sites are next to the building and just off the interstate but what a great idea for an "overnight". More than once, we've pulled into a Walmart at 10:00 pm to get some sleep before heading out at 7:00 am the next morning.

The link above has all the current info but the quick facts are:

- 6 pull-through sites on concrete
- Water, Sewer, 50-amp, Wi-Fi and Cable (cable not yet operational as of 7/31/05)
- $20 per night plus tax
- Will take a reservation (toll-free: 877.853.4788)

It's only a hundred miles from where we store our trailer so I doubt we'll ever use it but I will be on the look-out for more "overnight" spots like this.

Perhaps we can build a thread on basic "overnight" spots close to interstates.

That all said, I am not opposed to overnighting in real campgrounds and do so frequently. But many times, we are heading out after work on a Thursday or Friday and want to get a couple hundred miles in or half way to our destination. This means pulling in somewhere after dark. If you've read any of my mis-adventures, you know that parking a 5th wheel trailer in a campground in the dark is not in my best economic interest (darn trees just jump right out in front of me!).

Got any to add to the list?

Travel safe,

Jim

phranc

Thats a good idea ,,I wish there was more of this type of place .. By 5 or 6 pm I'm ready to stop for night anyway and I can live without the pool and hayride .But I do like the AC.. And easy in and easy out