Landing Gears

I’m having landing gear problems! My landing gear is working when not under load and as soon I put it under load it makes a ratcheting noise and the bar doesn’t move like it’s stripped or the gears aren’t engaging? Yesterday I took my 5er to a RV service dealer down the road and he thought there is also a problem in the gear box said wasn’t sure what type of landing gear I have, he never worked on Big Horn before. So I went on the Heartland web site and the only information I could find was Lippert Components, so I went to their web site and everything I could find was about Hydraulic landing system nothing about electric system?

Went on another forum and in one of their threads somebody said sure it’s not Atwood, what do you think?
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/Products/chassis/5wheel.cfm

Has anyone had any experience with the landing gears or found a parts list so I can order a replacement part? Any information appreciated.
Thanks Sonny

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I would check the bolt that connects the long shaft to the motor- gearbox bet the nut came off and bolt is hitting as it turns. I had to replace the nuts and bolts on both ends because the nuts came off.....Ken

jbeletti

Sonny,

They are (or at least used to be) a Lippert item. Ken gave you some great info too. Gene and Joseph had their bolt either shear or the nut came off and they were free-spinning. I happened to be seeing them the next day at a rally so I stopped at Ace Hardware and picked up a grade 8 bolt and nylock nut (plus a spare set) for them. Another RVer put it in for them at the rally. I hope this is all you need.

I suggest you call Lippert's customer service number in the morning to discuss. If you can't get through to them, consider calling Heartland's customer service (877-262-8032).

Jim

Landing gear

Everyone thanks for the information I think I have found what I needed, I went back out with a flash light and was looking at the Motor and gearbox it had Venture Man Co. Stamped on it.
So pull tab I think your link gives the item number they call it 3 to 1 reduction box.
Last year I had to replace the bolt in the shaft next to the motor mine sheared so I had bought a shear pin and hadn’t installed it yet, I was hoping that was the same thing this time but it’s a problem in the reduction box (gear box) But at least now I know the manufacture and I can order a new part if needed.
Thanks Sonny

Pulltab

Sonny, I don't think that Venture will sell direct to you. U will probably have to purchase thru lippert.:)

lavadg

Sounds like you have the same landing gear as the Cyclone. I upgraded mine by putting a 2nd motor on. I had to replace the original electric motor (not the gears) because I waited to long. The electric motor has a clutch that slips if under to much load….over time they go out. I can also tell you that the Atwood electric motor will fit on the Venture gear box. I think the Atwood has more power, works better, and is a lot easier to find.

You can try jacking the landing gear manually…this can help you determine if the electric motor is bad or the gears. If you can manually jack the trailer, most likely you have a bad electric motor.

Here is what I wrote about the Cyclone:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=3706

Pulltab

Lavadg, interesting that you had to replace the leg. When we had our fleetwood it had venture box and motor. I simply removed the crossbar and mounted a new box and motor to the opposite side. I did have to grind a flat on the drive pin that sticks out of the leg but other than that it was a cut and dried installation. I still have the box and motor as spares for this unit should I need it.

contacted Lippert on Monday they have a repair kit P/N 146059 went to a dealer in St George they didn't have one so I ordered it direct from lippert. Haven't tryed the handcrank, think I'll try it and see if it will extend?
Lavadg when you installed the second motor did it have a seperate switch? and/or were did you mount it? Also, I was talking to my nabor before we left he works at atwood SLC and he said it only had to be heavy enough weight as tongue weight so 8,000 lbs should be plenty.
Sonny

lavadg

SonnyBeech, I did add a 2nd switch. A bought a 2nd small hatch for the switch and installed it to the right of the original switch on my Cyclone (not sure how the front of your Big Horn compares to the Cyclone??). I don’t think one switch could handle the amperage of two motors???

I also changed the wiring for the original switch…..So the left switch would control the left motor/landing leg…(originally it is wired to the motor on the right).

I’m sure just replacing/repairing my original motor would have solved the problem….I have no way of proving it, but the dealer most likely caused this problem by locking the switch to bring up the landing gear and never turning it off…causing the clutch to keep slipping until someone turned it off. I noticed on my new switch it no longer can be locked.

It's really easy now to level the Cyclone having two motors/switches.
Good luck with your repair.