2014 Heartland Baby Blessings for Urbanna, VA

JJnVA

Its Time to get started on making those special baby items for a popular "Heartland Gives Back" initiative. Many of you will remember it as "Babies Wrapped in Love", but it now has a new name of "Heartland Baby Blessings".

For those of you not familiar with this project, HOC members put their love and talents into sewing, knitting, crocheting or buying baby items to give to families in need in the community where we are rallying.

So, let the handcrafting begin on baby items for the "Three Rivers Healthy Families" program in Urbanna, Virginia. There will be an event at the June Rally to present the baby items to some of the mothers and program director.

Guidelines to help you get started:
Baby items needed: blankets, caps, booties, sleep sacks, bibs, burp pads, buntings or cocoons with hats
-baby items can be crocheted, knitted, quilted, sewn, fleece tied, or store bought
-choose a soft, washable fabric or soft acrylic yarn. Colors should be age appropriate, colorful, bright, and cheerful.
-some approximate blanket sizes for guidelines only:
Newborn baby - 36"x36"
Toddler - 36" x 40-45"
-If possible, finished items should be stored in a ziplock bag or other closed container in a pet-free, smoke-free environment. Items should be in individual sealed bags when donated at the Rally in June.
-If you are interested in donating store bought items, I will post later this Spring a list of other items that the parents need for their babies.

I will be coordinating "Heartland Baby Blessings" for this year's rally, so feel free to post here or PM me with any questions. Really looking forward to seeing all of the beautiful baby items our HOC members create to keep babies warm in 2014!

Judi Barnett (HOC member #1689).

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
John's Mom and her friends are working overtime for us! She turned over 4 crocheted blankets already. Her needle is smokin'!

JJnVA

Hook or needle, I think it is wonderful they are "working overtime" to keep babies warm and cozy! Many thanks to them :angel: And hope that their needles and hooks keep moving along for Heartland Baby Blessings.

Let us hear who else is out there working overtime! June 14 will be here quicker than we think.....

VKTalley

Well I guess it's a hook Valerie??? I don't know! I don't have a shred of talent there so I leave it to Mom and her friends!

:cool: It's just that most of us who crochet get asked often "What are you knitting?" so it becomes a bit of a joke to politely correct them. I will be crocheting some blankets after I finish a couple of Prayer Shawl projects for the group at my church. A reminder for those who doesn't crochet/knit or don't have the time, I found several handmade blankets at Goodwills (or places like that) that I washed and donated along with my personally made items.

kowAlski631

:cool: It's just that most of us who crochet get asked often "What are you knitting?" so it becomes a bit of a joke to politely correct them. I will be crocheting some blankets after I finish a couple of Prayer Shawl projects for the group at my church. A reminder for those who doesn't crochet/knit or don't have the time, I found several handmade blankets at Goodwills (or places like that) that I washed and donated along with my personally made items.

So true, Valerie. I belonged to a crochet group called "The Happy Hookers". Even then we were asked what we were knitting.

We won't be there this year either since our elder son's wedding is during that time. I have been knitting & crocheting since May, but have found churches & organizations where I have donated baby blankets & caps across the country. It's a wonderful way to give back.

Martha

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

VKTalley

So true, Valerie. I belonged to a crochet group called "The Happy Hookers". Even then we were asked what we were knitting.

We won't be there this year either since our elder son's wedding is during that time. I have been knitting & crocheting since May, but have found churches & organizations where I have donated baby blankets & caps across the country. It's a wonderful way to give back.

Martha

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

That is awesome, Martha!! If you ever need a place to donate an item, contact me and I'll put you in touch with my friend who heads up the group at my church. We have made everything from baby blankets, booties, hats to shawls and afghans. It is such a blessing to send them to their recipients. I have personally mailed out several myself that were going cross-country. One of the projects that I am working on now will be heading to WA state for a mom who lost her son not too long after he was born to a genetic defect that was not discovered until his birth.

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired
Hook or needle, I think it is wonderful they are "working overtime" to keep babies warm and cozy! Many thanks to them :angel: And hope that their needles and hooks keep moving along for Heartland Baby Blessings.

Let us hear who else is out there working overtime! June 14 will be here quicker than we think.....
I am a sewer so as soon as I finish with my rally I will start making quilts and possibly some baby clothes. I made all my children's clothes when they were little.
Linda

VKTalley

That's awesome, Linda!! I might just have to get my sewing machine out and see what I have available for some baby projects.

marthamscott

This is our first National Rally so I am playing catchup! I will dig out my crochet hook and stalk the yarn aisle at Walmart to see what I can come up with.

Martha Scott (and Henry too)
2014 Elkridge 285
2006 Ram 2500

Toccoatravelers

Did I understand that some items may be going to retired military veterans as well? It would be an honor to do for both vets and babies in need!

JJnVA

Did I understand that some items may be going to retired military veterans as well? It would be an honor to do for both vets and babies in need![/QUOTE

Stay tuned for more details about a totally separate initiative to benefit disabled military vets. The details are still being worked out and Jim Beletti will post them with the other Rally documents.

Toccoatravelers

Thanks Judi, will keep an eye out for the other as well. The Baby Blessings project sounds great. BTW, Did I see your name on the Georgia rally list if so I look forward to meeting you there.
Patti

JJnVA

Yes, Patti, our first trip of 2014 can't get here soon enough and the GA rally is our first stop. Look forward to seeing you there. Are you going to FL rally the next week? we will be at Eustis FL for a week! Rally on!

jbeletti

Did I understand that some items may be going to retired military veterans as well? It would be an honor to do for both vets and babies in need!

Through an organization called Building Homes for Heroes, we're planning on honoring a specific U.S. Army veteran who was severely wounded in Afghanistan. Here's a link to more info on that.