2011 Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4D

Seren

Just a quick question before I buy: I have an opportunity to purchase a 2011 Sierra Denali 2500 HD 4D, V8 Deisel with only 27K miles that has a 16k hitch. I am planning on purchasing a Landmark Key Largo or Savannah with a GVWR of 16,250. Is this enough truck? How about the hitch?

danemayer

There are two numbers: towing capacity, which is how much weight the truck can pull, and payload, which is how much vertical load the truck will carry.

The truck you're looking at should be able to pull the trailer, but the payload is insufficient. The 2500 probably has a payload around 2700 lbs. As a rule of thumb, you should figure around 20% of the total weight of the 5th wheel will be on the hitch. A 16,000 lb 5th wheel would have around 3,200 lbs of pin weight sitting on the hitch. If you have the on board generator and washer/dryer, you may be closer to 3,500 lbs. In addition to the pin weight, the truck payload has to handle passengers, pets, tools, weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, and anything else you put in the truck.

We have a GMC 3500 SRW pulling our Rushmore. It pulls very nicely and handles the pin weight just fine. But many owners recommend getting a dually for better stability and increased payload and towing margins.

A few owners are pulling Landmarks with 2500s and have added airbags to the truck to keep it from squatting. That levels things out but doesn't add payload capacity.

You can find out more at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Here is a link to web site built by one of our full-timer members full of towing and weight information. You should find it very useful. BTW congratulations on your new endeavor.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Seren...I agree with Dan. You will quickly overload the rear axle of a 2500. Our pin weight on the KL, loaded and ready to roll is 4,200 pounds. Our RAWR is 9375 and this pin weight puts us at over 8900 pounds...in addition, the GVWR of our 3500 is 13,000 pounds and our KL puts us just barely below that at 12,975 pounds. I would not tow a KL with anything less than a 3500 DRW...JMHO.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Just saw the hitch question...again not enough...I would not use anything less than 18k...

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Seren, you need a 3500 DRW for a LM and at least a 18K hitch. If you do some research, you find that you can buy new for a few $1000's more than used. Point in fact...I just priced my 2013 GMC 3500 DRW with all the goodies for grins and giggles. It cost me $53K out the door....and right now...a year later I can still get $48K. GM D/A trucks are in high demand and there are not many used ones for sale. JMHO

Kbvols

If you are considering new now is a good time to buy as GM has up to $6900 in rebates on the HD's . I bought brand new for less than I could buy used.

Seren, you need a 3500 DRW for a LM and at least a 18K hitch. If you do some research, you find that you can buy new for a few $1000's more than used. Point in fact...I just priced my 2013 GMC 3500 DRW with all the goodies for grins and giggles. It cost me $53K out the door....and right now...a year later I can still get $48K. GM D/A trucks are in high demand and there are not many used ones for sale. JMHO