checking lp gas level?

iawoody2

Didn't know where to post this so will try it here. What is the best, most accurate way to check the LP gas level in each tank? I have looked at the gages the go between the tank and connector, do they work? Also, will the tank indicator switch to the full tank when the one is empty or do you do in manually?
Thanks for any help!!!!

Flbirds

Is manual in our big country, move it to point to other tank and site glass will turn from red to clear or no color

shurack24

We've gone to using a $9.00 hand held luggage scale to simply weigh the tank. Iit's a bit inconvienent because you have to remove the tank, but only by a little. Quite accurate once you know how much an empty tank weighs compared to a full tank. The window on the changeover valve only tells you if its empty or full, and not at all easy to tell the color. Seems they've gone to cheap colored stickers that are hard to see. We've tried the other tricks too, like pouring hot water over the tank and watching where it condenses, etc. Just google "how to check the level of a propane tank" and there's a number of ways. The luggage scale works for us though.

brianharrison

The most accurate way is to replace the tank with a special tank with internal float and level gauge --> Like this one. They can be manual or electric (ie send a signal to a remote monitoring panel).

Next best is to weigh the tank to determine how much propane liquid is left in the tank - this requires knowing the empty weight of the tank (not tough, but a Pain in the A**). I suppose you could rig up a weigh scale under the tank in the compartment but that is a bit out there..

There is a stick on propane level gauge that works on temp difference - ie when liquid propane vaporizes it takes heat in (endothermic) and the stick on gauge will show you where that interface is......You can do the same with your finger, or laser thermometer. Note - propane must be being used from the tank for this to work - ie liquid converting to vapor.

Finally, the screw on gauge between tank and hose is useless - it will tell you when your tank in empty, but that is about it.... It works on pressure. Pressure in a propane tank is pretty well constant until there is no liquid propane left.......

My thoughts.
Brian

JanAndBill

Didn't know where to post this so will try it here. What is the best, most accurate way to check the LP gas level in each tank? I have looked at the gages the go between the tank and connector, do they work? Also, will the tank indicator switch to the full tank when the one is empty or do you do in manually?
Thanks for any help!!!!

If you have an automatic switching regulator, with both tanks filled turn the pointer toward the tank you want to pull from (arrows on the regulator). Then turn on the valves on "both" tanks. When the designated tank is empty it will automatically switch over to the other tank, and the indicator window will show red. On the regulator turn the pointer 180 degrees to the other tank. The indicator window will turn clear. Close the valve on your empty tank, and have it refilled. Hook it back up and turn it on, so that when the other tank goes empty it can switch back.

jnbhobe

I use the automatic changeover, done it that way for 40yrs, works fine for me just have to check it regularly.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For $500, I'll keep the basic 30lb. tanks and check the switch-over regulator indicator daily. Looking at the sides of the tank for the frost line helps, too.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I bought a device that fits over the changeover indicator and wires to a flashing light to indicate when the change happens. I don't know if they make them anymore... It was hard to find.... But haven't installed it yet, want to wire it to beside the fuse panel.

The goal is to be alerted when the change has happened and know you need to refuel soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birchwood

We have 40 lb tanks on our Landmark and one tank will do an entire winter in Florida.In October in Canada we have to replace them every 10 days because the furnace gobbles the propane .I just remove the tank and can tell by its weight if it needs refilling.Don't know of any reliable propane level gauge.Just always have ONE full tank .

iawoody2

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will just keep a close watch and one goes empty make sure it is switched over then fill the empty.

scottyb

Every tank has it's tare weight (TW XX.X) stamped on it. When I'm getting ready for a trip, I weigh both tanks. I have a hard time seeing the indicator on my regulator due to it's orientation inside the compartment. I can't view it straight on and I'm never really sure if it has turned red or not.

On a side note, most 20lb exchange BBQ tanks only have 15lb or 75% of their allowable net weight. Essentially you are paying $19.99 for 3.6 gal propane. or about $5.60 gal. It is very convenient to exchange them at any HD or drug store but you sure pay for it. I would hate to fill my 500gal tank at those rates.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
On a side note, most 20lb exchange BBQ tanks only have 15lb or 75% of their allowable net weight. Essentially you are paying $19.99 for 3.6 gal propane. or about $5.60 gal. It is very convenient to exchange them at any HD or drug store but you sure pay for it. I would hate to fill my 500gal tank at those rates.

I've never used the swap-tank deal . . . I've always taken the tank that came with my previous CharBroil that I got probably 15 years ago to a local dairy store that has a propane refill tank.

Usually cost me between $10-$12 per fill-up.

I haven't had to have our trailer tanks filled up yet (one season - five camp outs) . . . still working on the original fill-up from when we bought it.

I will be taking them up to the dairy before we take off for our first trip this spring.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
My BC does have the auto switchover. But, to avoid that middle of the night, run out of lp scenario, I just open up 1 tank and let her run dry....that way my "worst case scenario" is I might have to run outside to turn on the full tank. The next day or so, at MY convenience, I take the empty tank in for fill up, thereby avoiding the dreaded no heat/no stove scenario when lp is NOT available.

shurack24

If you depend on the switchover regulator, you still have to monitor for when the changeover happens; if not, you'll end up with two empty tanks. I'll bet that at least one person hear can attest to that. Bad enough having to run out in the middle of the night and having go outside to manually open the secondary tank, but i'll bet no one wants to find out at that point that both tanks are empty.
The time that I think the tank swap is a good deal is if you realize that your tanks are coming near the end of there certified life. Most fill stations do check the date stamp and will not do a fill if the tank certification has expired. There are propane dealers that will pressure test the tank for you; I'm not sure of the cost, but I'd be willing to bet that you could buy a new tank for only an incremental cost over re-certifying a tank.

GlenStMary

I rely on the switchover technique and have had no problems. When the regulator switches over to the new tank I simply pay closer attention to the weather (how long it has been cold), how much we use gas to cook, consider the number of days since the switch over occurred, then fill the empty tank. As far as knowing when the changeover happens. I normally walk around the RV every day just doing a cursory look to make sure I don't have any leaks, flat tires, tree branches lying alongside, etc. It doesn't take two seconds to open the compartment with the regulator and quickly look at the gauge on the regulator. So far we haven't had any outage at all.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
OK - this is really cool for checking the tank levels. It's called "truma". As you slowly move it up and down your tank, it has a LED light system that lets you know the propane level. It really really works. The website is: www.levelcheck.com/us/. We got ours from our local dealer RVs For Less who says they can't keep them in stock.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
OK - this is really cool for checking the tank levels. It's called "truma". As you slowly move it up and down your tank, it has a LED light system that lets you know the propane level. It really really works. The website is: www.levelcheck.com/us/. We got ours from our local dealer RVs For Less who says they can't keep them in stock.

That looks like a cool tool!

That company would be wise to get those in Camping World and other like stores if they want to sell a lot of them.

brianharrison

Very innovative - it uses ultrasound. Why didn't I think of that? Simple but effective...... I will be ordering one......

Thanks for the link.

Brian

EDIT: I ordered online from the website - $10 shipping to CA, FYI- I ordered 3 and will be giving as gifts to family and friends....... It looks like online payment is by paypal only .

Lou_and_Bette

I have the Auto change over valve on my DS. The indicator for the tank on the DS has always read true as to the fullness of that tank, the indicator has never worked well for the tank on the ODS. Usually reads 1/2 to 3/4 full when new refilled tank installed and quickly indicates empty even when frost/condensation line indicates 1/2 full. My question is, why is there a pressure valve in the line from the ODS but not one on the DS line? Does this reduction of pressure in the ODS affect the indicator?