Thoughts on mud flaps / Rock Tamers

ptysonjr

Rock Tamers last 3 years for me. Good price, adjustable for different loads and vehicles and easily removeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

FlyerChief

I hate asking dumb questions, but......what damage?

I've never had any damage to the front of my TT or 5th wheel. Dumb luck, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ptysonjr

I hate asking dumb questions, but......what damage?

I've never had any damage to the front of my TT or 5th wheel. Dumb luck, I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Really important for those with full body paint. New tires with deep treads are bad about chunking rocks etc at the coach.

JanAndBill

After a bad experience last month I'm seriously considering them. We had just given the exterior a much needed bath. First day out, made a circle through a truck stop parking lot. Apparently didn't see a big clump of nasty black sticky grease off a truck fifth wheel. My duals did a fine job of distributing all over the front of my trailer. Several rolls of paper towels later and a bottle of cleaner later I had corrected my error.

hriker

I bought the towtector brush system because I was getting chips in the front of our Landmark. The towtector has stopped the chipping and helps keep the front of the trailer clean.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Gizzy

Been using Rock Tamers for over 3 years, works great for me.
Be sure your exhaust is pointed to the side, not the rear. I have to add that the exhaust on my 06 is aimed to the side and does not put heat on the rubber flap. On some later model GM Duramax the exhaust is pointed towards the rear and might get the flap too hot. Not sure about the exhaust on other trucks.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Really important for those with full body paint. New tires with deep treads are bad about chunking rocks etc at the coach.

Also protects the trailer from some of the flying duck pieces and parts. Very messy... We're talking duckburger!:eek:

Kristy

hriker

Be sure your exhaust is pointed to the side, not the rear. I have to add that the exhaust on my 06 is aimed to the side and does not put heat on the rubber flap. On some later model GM Duramax the exhaust is pointed towards the rear and might get the flap too hot. Not sure about the exhaust on other trucks.

The towtector product makes a model specifically for the duramax just for that reason. They make a cutoff for the exhaust pipe and have a shield for the brush in that area. Their website states the brushes cannot block the exhaust as the brushes could ignite. I actually have the duramax so my towtector has the cutoff. It looks a little funny until you realize why it's like that.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

GlenStMary

Rock Tamers here. They work pretty well, but you need to adjust them carefully if you have backup sensors mounted in your bumper as I do

sjs731

The only adjustment was that there are a couple perforations on the bottom of the flaps so you can take a little off if they drag. I had to modify (grind) into the gusset weld for u bolt attachment on the hitch bar I bought which I'm sure would affect it for towing but I only use it to put the flaps on my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

porthole

Retired

I don't know what brand it was, but I bought a used kit like the rock tamers from a forum member because his exhaust was an issue. I heated and did a fair job of making the flap flat again. Used it until I bought the DRW.

On this truck I am using Duraflaps. Best m=flaps I have found and plenty big. And on my truck they are about 5"off the ground. Have not had any issues with stuff being thrown up that the Dura's or the rock tamer type wouldn't catch.

Rodbuster

I've got the Rock Tamers and I think they're great.

There are a "few" ways that they can be adjusted so fitting them to a single rear wheel or a dual rear wheel is not a problem at all. There are no issues with height adjustment either....with or without a load.

A++ on my scorecard.

Dick