Metal valve stem types makes?

Kblock108

I have see many discussions about using metal as opposed to rubber, especially since I have the tst tpms. I have also seen some complaints of leaks, is there a make or exact type you all suggest? I am planning in switching my tires out soon. The tire shop I am buying my tires at, which is dirt cheap through a professional discount does not have metal stems. So I am planning to buy the stems, have them mount them and then run to costco for some free nitrogen. Any suggestions?

MCTalley

If you are having tires put on that you will be putting more than 80 PSI in, make sure Costco can put the required PSI into the tires before they bleed out the air. When I had G614's put on my trailer (at a Goodyear store), they were not allowed by company policy to put more than 95 PSI in the tires. I had it done later at another store (another stop with trailer in tow). When I had my spare mounted, the independent tire store I went to couldn't coax more than about 97 PSI out of their compressor.

Garypowell

As MCT says your store will not be able to pump up the tires to the right pressure. I ran into the same thing but had my new compressor with me only to discover that it would not pump up to its rated pressure.

3 compressors later I bit the bullet and bought a Viair that lives up to its specification. So if you are shelling out for the tires get ready to shell out $400 more for a great compressor.

Kblock108

I have read some posts that people were discussing the stems from some auto parts stores not working. For a variety of reasons, including the nut too large for the rim, too short/long. Can anyone that purchased them maybe suggest the ones they bought? I'm looking at dropping off the tires and not interested in making multiple trips, it's about 30 miles from my house

pegmikef

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Anyone know the correct size metal valve stem to buy? Rim dia, length etc..

I've tried repeatedly to get tire dealers to install metal stems on my truck, but nobody seems to have them. I hate the rubber ones. The trailer has the high pressure metal stems, so it's OK.

Gizzy

I have read some posts that people were discussing the stems from some auto parts stores not working. For a variety of reasons, including the nut too large for the rim, too short/long. Can anyone that purchased them maybe suggest the ones they bought? I'm looking at dropping off the tires and not interested in making multiple trips, it's about 30 miles from my house

Can't give you a specific size. All I can tell you is I purchased mine from an auto parts store and the fit both the trailer rims and the stock rims on my 06 Duramax. I suggest you get the longest stems you can find if you plan to install a TPMS on them.