Determining RGAWR

Seren

Trying to figure out RGAWR. If a truck has a GVW of 8200 (including driver and passenger) is there a rough percentage of how much of that weight that would be on tne rear axle? One would think that with the engine in front that it would be at least a little less than 50%. Obviously, the best thing to do is just go to a scale, but just trying to get a rough estimate. Denali 2500 HD, 4WD, CC, diesel with 5th wheel hitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

B

BouseBill

Is not the rear axle rating noted on the data plate inside the drivers side door somewhere:confused:

Just doing a quick search found the 2015 Denali 2500 has a RGAWR of 6,200 pounds.

Fill the fuel tank, install the hitch and other stuff your carry, and go weigh the rear axle, then you'll know just how much you can actually carry.

DW_Gray

I realize you are new at this RV thing and you are seeking as many answers as you can. There are no honest shortcuts. Fifth Wheel St. was developed just for you. If you're struggling to understand the information, feel free to email or call me. Your feedback will help me make any necessary improvements.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Seren

Door has 6800 for rear axle. Obviously just finding a place to weigh it will give me the answer, so will just do that, thanks

Yep, been to Fifth St. Shows that I should be under for the GCWR, going to be close for the RGAWR. Does air bags just help for stability or also add to the RGAWR?

DW_Gray

Door has 6800 for rear axle. Obviously just finding a place to weigh it will give me the answer, so will just do that, thanks

Yep, been to Fifth St. Shows that I should be under for the GCWR, going to be close for the RGAWR. Does air bags just help for stability or also add to the RGAWR?

Yes, you can modify the rear axle to carry the extra load. It can be done by air bags or aftermarket overload springs or both. It is important to know, that doing so will not change the official rating as shown on the Certification Label. Doing so could be a legal risk at worse case scenario... But I have yet to discover such a lawsuit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's some real weights to ponder. For my 2009 GMC 3500HD D/A dually CC full bed. The truck weighs 8040 lbs. with me and a full tank of fuel, the hitch in the bed and nothing else. The front axles weight was 4480 and the rear was 3560. This is from a CAT scale. The ratings for the truck are 4860 in front and 8200 in the rear.

This may give you some idea of the weight distribution for your truck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Seren, weigh your truck as it would loaded for travel. Make sure you get a seperate weight for the front and rear axles. One thing you need to know...When you are hooked up....some weight from the rear axle is transfered to the front axle taking some weight off the rear end. On my truck about 200# is transfered to the front.

JohnDar

More real world weights, from the RVSEF at the 2011 Goshen Rally. These are with the trailer on, tanks empty, loaded as I feel we would travel, and the wife in the truck. We don't carry Grandma's heirloom collection of cast iron cookware with us and other than some wood cribbing blocks, a 12V generator in a box and some tools, the truck bed is empty. Fuel load at the time was about 1/4 tank (about 15 gallons) since we'd just arrived at Goshen from Indian River, MI.

Front truck axle: 4400
Rear truck axle: 6600
Tow weight (trailer): 14525
Vertical load (pin): 2950
Front trailer axle: 5650
Rear trailer axle: 5925

Our GCWR is 23500 and the actual combined weight came in at 22575. With the exception of the tire on the front driver's side of the truck, all weights were under their limits. The tire required less than 5 psi over the sticker pressure (66 psi) to compensate, per their recommendations. So I run them at 70 psi when towing.

Granted, your actual weights may be different when you physically weigh your TV and rig, but these will give you some idea of what to expect.

Seren

JohnDar, which Heartland are you pulling? Those numbers would work for me.

JohnDar

JohnDar, which Heartland are you pulling? Those numbers would work for me.

We have a 2009 Bighorn 3670RL. The GVWR for the trailer was 16000 and the dry weight in the catalog (date 1/08) was 11820, but the tag inside shows 12215. Pin weight was listed in the catalog as 2065. We have the combo washer/dryer in the nose of the rig. At the time of the weighing, I had a heavier ladder in the basement than I currently carry, as well as a lot more "stuff" that has since been removed. Also got rid of some camp chairs and other paraphenalia that wasn't being used.

If this is your first venture into camping of any kind, you may find that initially you try to carry everything including the kitchen sink. Before long, you start realizing that a lot of it just sits there adding weight and taking up space, so you start weeding it out. For a while, we were carrying enough dishes and glasses to serve 8. It's now down to 4. If a pot/pan hasn't been used in recent memory, it comes out.

A lot of what's "necessary" depends on how and where you use your rig. Full-timers would probably carry more stuff than we do making their rigs closer to the GVWR. Most of the folks on these forums are more experienced and knowledgeable than I am about these rigs. I'm just giving you my numbers for a rough guesstimate based on your initial question.

Seren

Domo arigato (thank you in Japanese) for your response, extremely helpful.

JohnDar

"Domo arigato". Haven't heard that phrase in a long time. My old Judo instructor, a USMC Colonel that studied in Japan would say that. Unfortunately, he passed away several years ago. My response is "Nicht zu danken". Nothing to thank me for. I spent 3 years in Germany a long time ago.

But, that's what this forum is noted for. Owners helping owners.