Looking for first RV - North Trail Calibur Edition

We use to cruise and live aboard a sailboat for a number of years, but we are now considering a Heartland RV for snowbirding about 6 months out of the year. We know of a 2011 Caliber that appears to be in decent shape. Does anyone have an opinion or knowledge about this RV? We realize that Heartland is no longer making this model, but we do not know why? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you. Roger Bozeman, MT

jimtoo

Re: Looking for first RV

Hi Roger,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I don't know why they don't make that unit any more, but models come and go... change a couple of things and you have a different unit with a different price point and maybe a new dealer in the same area as some of the other lines that are made by the same company.

We have lots of folks that snowbird in all the different units that Heartland RVs produce. We have had good customer support from the factory and also the Heartland Owners Forum here is great for solving problems or helping with what ever.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

danemayer

We realize that Heartland is no longer making this model, but we do not know why?
Only Heartland management would know for sure, but from past comments, I think it's probably that they saw an opportunity to sell more units and make more money with some other model. Given that manufacturing floor space is limited (unless you make huge new investments), adding new models sometimes requires deleting old models.

pegmikef

The Calibur didn't actually go away completely. It morphed into the North Trail TT, Calibur Edition. The Calibur Edition North Trail has almost all of the features that the Calibur had. The only down side was there were a couple of Calibur floor plans that did go away. I had the North Trail for two years that had most of the Calibur features and had no problems at all (except tires) in 20K plus miles. Do check the tires and if they are Tow Max, replace them and make it part of your price negotiation.

Thank you Peg & Mike as well as Dan & Ann and Jim & Bette for the timely response to my question regarding the Caliber. I actually thought it was a fifth wheel until the current owner filled me in on some of the specifics. Thanks for the advice about the tires too. The owner did replace the Towmax tires with Maxxis Load Range E and the Lippert axles were replaced with Henderson as well as bearings. The various tankage capacities seem to run around 36 gallons each and I probably cannot expect much better out of this size of travel trailer. At any rate, thanks to you all for your welcome and opinions; they are invaluable. And Mike, I am retired US Marine Corps and Vietnam Vet as well; hoorah! It would seem that each of you has a substantial fiver and tow rig so I am guessing that you have been enjoying the RV lifestyle for a while. Thanks again and I sure wish I was in Texas about right now; Montana winters get a little long about right now. I actually grew up in Rockport and Corpus and went to A& M. Thanks again guys. Roger Bozeman, MT

pegmikef

Leatherneck, Welcome home brother and thank you for your service. Yeah in the HL travel trailers 36 gallons seems to be the standard size for the tanks. Mike

priorguy

I currently own a North Trail Caliber Edition if you have any questions. Very happy with the quality and features so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks priorguy. It is good to hear that you are happy with the quality of the TT so far. This Caliber looks like it is in good shape and I like the thought that the axles, bearings, and tires have already been replaced. I would have thought that Heartland would install what apparently has a high failure rate to start with, but I certainly do not this industry. I have heard that you should buy your second trailer first, but we are reluctant to jump in with both feet since we know little to nothing about the RV lifestyle. We have friends who are enjoying their new Jayco White Hawk in Florida this winter and doing the snowbird thing so it sounds appealing. The one factor other than size is the towing ease with the TT compared to a fifth wheel; and that includes backing up. Either way we will need to get a towing vehicle in addition to the expense of the trailer. At this point we are doing our research on both this forum and the escapee RV forum. Thanks for your opinion and offer of help. I take it that you have no problem pulling it with your Ford F150 and that is useful information. Thanks again guys. Roger & Marie Bozeman, MT

olybldr55

You are wise to explore all the possibilites for your TT and tow rig. I use an 2012 F150 ecoboost 4 door short box to tow a NT 24RBS at about 6.000 lbs. The F150 outperforms and tows better than my older big block F250. Take your time and order the tow rig you want. Our NT is ideal for our use camping and vacationing in the northwest. We do plan to snowbird after retirement to Palm Springs for months during the wet winters.

priorguy

Olybldr55 you've got more then enough truck for the 24. Yours is the same as mine but the Ecoboost gives and extra 2000 pounds towing for some reason. My 28BRS is 8900 max GVWR and about 3000 under that dry weight and does just fine. Leatherneck when you pull a light weight travel trailer a half ton truck will suffice. The bigger the trailer the bigger the truck and the whole package can double in price. My truck and trailer together cost less then a diesel truck or luxury 5er alone. Maybe when I'm closer to retirement and the kids are gone we can. "Live the dream". Until then I hope you find a combination that suits you.

FYI I'm on trailer 4 in 5 years (should be good for a while now) so what you've heard us right about buying more then you need, get what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dl_camps

We own a NT21fbs Caliber & really love it. My hubby says it's very easy to tow with our Tundra. The only thing we really did was to remove the spare tire from under the hitch, kind of a bad place for a spare. We did make a smaller table, the one in the camper took up lots of room it seemed. We made one half the size. We had only a few very small issues that we took care of ourselves. This will be our 3rd camping season and can't wait to take it out again. Good luck with your decision.