Hi - From Chris - Tech Consultant (Regarding Technical Issues)

jbeletti

Hi,
My name is Chris. I am Jim's consultant in regards to technicals aspects of the forum.

I know some of you have been having some problems with the recent board upgrade. I am trying to get to the source of the constant emails. To do this, it requires me to change one thing at a time to see if they stop, in order to know what was causing it.

Last night at around 10 (I think, cannot remember for certain) I changed some things, is anyone still getting the update emails?

Second, someone said they were having problems uploading images.

When reporting an error I need at LEAST the following:

Browser: Internet Explorer 6, Firefox 2, Opera 9, etc.
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows Vista, Linux, etc.
Forum: What forum you were in when this error occurred.
Specific Error: Detailed description of what happened. For instance if you were trying to post and it wouldn't let you, I need to know what the reason was. If it is an attachment issue, I need to know if it said "Unable to Upload" "Out of Space" etc.

Feel free to give me more details then that. Be verbose!

So, please, post issues here, and I will address them. Thanks! :)

jpmorgan37

Hi Chris;

I got two email notifications this morning. They were threads that I had read yesterday

Firefox, Windows XP Home, Just opened my e-mail (juno) and they were in my inbox.

If I get more I will send you the routing information, if you want it.

John

jbeletti

Hi Chris;

I got two email notifications this morning. They were threads that I had read yesterday

Firefox, Windows XP Home, Just opened my e-mail (juno) and they were in my inbox.

John

Please send it. I don't know that I will need it, but that might be important later. My email is:

chrismorris08-at-gmail-dot-com

jbeletti

Hi Chris;

John

Chris, I also got 2 more today Sbcyahoo, windows XP
Neil

What forums where they in? The posts and/or threads the email reminded you of.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Upload failed

Hi Chris, I'm the guy having trouble uploading jpg's. My post is in the Bighorn Interior section of the forum Titled "Kitchen flooring installed". I use either IE6 or Mozilla Firefox for a browser running XP 2nd Edition. I tried to upload using the "Manage Attachments" window. I browsed and selected 2 jpg images, clicked upload files. After a few seconds I received a "File upload failed" message at the top of the window where the selected files are listed. If you like I can e-mail the images to you. By the way, I've never had any trouble uploading before the upgrade so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong or different. Thanks for your help.

jbeletti

Hi Chris, I'm the guy having trouble uploading jpg's. My post is in the Bighorn Interior section of the forum Titled "Kitchen flooring installed". I use either IE6 or Mozilla Firefox for a browser running XP 2nd Edition. I tried to upload using the "Manage Attachments" window. I browsed and selected 2 jpg images, clicked upload files. After a few seconds I received a "File upload failed" message at the top of the window where the selected files are listed. If you like I can e-mail the images to you. By the way, I've never had any trouble uploading before the upgrade so I don't think I'm doing anything wrong or different. Thanks for your help.

Have you attempted to re-upload them a second time? It could have been an error with the server being busy (Does happen, rarely though.). If you tried it a second time and still got the same problem then email me the images so I can look into whats going on.

Ray LeTourneau

Hi Jim, I've tried half a dozen times through several different avenues. I've e-mailed myself the pictures and saved them to my desktop and tried picking them up there. And through the way I've always done it by browsing and picking them up from Windows "My Pictures". I can't figure out what the problem is. As a .jpg they are around 85KB and as a .bmp the are too big at 850 kb. :confused:

medic9016

Ray,

I tried this way also, with not luck. What I did was copy and paste the {IGM} link from my picture host site(photobucket). It worked with no problem using this.

Shannon

jbeletti

Hi Jim, I've tried half a dozen times through several different avenues. I've e-mailed myself the pictures and saved them to my desktop and tried picking them up there. And through the way I've always done it by browsing and picking them up from Windows "My Pictures". I can't figure out what the problem is. As a .jpg they are around 85KB and as a .bmp the are too big at 850 kb. :confused:

Ray,

I tried this way also, with not luck. What I did was copy and paste the {IGM} link from my picture host site(photobucket). It worked with no problem using this.

Shannon

Is the file extension .jpg .jpeg or .jpe?

This is important.

Also there is a bar in the upload window. Each user has a max amount of space to use. You might have reached this limit. The bar is green and red. Green is free space, red is used space.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I reloaded my link to the forum this week, but sometimes I come to a home page (blue background) that doesn't recognize me and sometimes I come to the portal (that looks like the one Jim has illustrated on his posts) and sometimes I come to the one that looks like the one we had been using. Either of the last two have my userID and password. Why the inconsistency? One time today, it told me that I had last accessed it one minute ago when it had been a couple of hours ago and I had to use the quick link to look at today's posts to find the ones that the system had marked that I had read (even though I had not seen them).

The only thing that I had done differently in this situation was to open e-mails that had links, but I did not use those links to get to the forum - I never do until I've gone to the forum first and looked at all of the unread posts (because of problems I've encountered in the past).

I do not log out of the forum (never had), but use the back button to get me back to the Yahoo home page.

I use IE7.0.5730.11 and run XP SP2.

cdbMidland

I reloaded my link to the forum this week, but sometimes I come to a home page (blue background) that doesn't recognize me

I use IE7.0.5730.11 and run XP SP2.

OK - I tried a couple of things...

1. I found out that this blue background is the "Heartland Owners Club". This is the one that doesn't recognize me. However, as soon as I use the link "Forum" it takes me to one of the other screens described above and I am signed in.

2. I tried signing out and got the message that all cookies had been cleared, and sure enough, I'm required to sign in again (which to me is undesireable.

jbeletti

OK - I tried a couple of things...

1. I found out that this blue background is the "Heartland Owners Club". This is the one that doesn't recognize me. However, as soon as I use the link "Forum" it takes me to one of the other screens described above and I am signed in.

If you are going to one site as http://website and the other as http://www.website or www.website it reads the cookies differently. This is a problem within vBA and vB

2. I tried signing out and got the message that all cookies had been cleared, and sure enough, I'm required to sign in again (which to me is undesireable.

Not sure I follow. It is undesirable to log back in after you sign out? (THis might sound rude, sorry, just trying to phrase it cleanly.)

Help in bold.

jbeletti

Try it now. Fixed some things.

jbeletti

One more time...:(

If it doesn't work this time, then I have a lot of time to dedicate to this site in the coming days...

(This has been Chris this whole time in this thread, BTW. :p)

Attachments

• BBefore2.JPG
    BBefore2.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 18
  • AAfter2.JPG
    AAfter2.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 19

Ray LeTourneau

Jim or Chris. Thanks! I have posted the flooring pics in the original thread and it worked like it's supposed to. I'll have to start another project and take pictures to try it from scratch.

cdbMidland

Help in bold.

Jim, what I was getting to in #2 was that when I back out of the forum, I do not have to enter my userid and password to reenter the next time. If I log out, I have to do this every time I reenter. Why would I want to continue to do this???

jbeletti

Chuck,

Logging out of the forum includes a routine to clear the cookie for the forum within your browser. Clearing the cookie of course means that your browser will no longer know your username and password when you go to the forum the next time.

Why would you want this? For security locally - at your PC. It's not such a big deal with the forum but if it was your bank - you'd want it to clear the password for sure. Also, if a person ever accesses the forum from a public PC (library, friend etc.), you don't want to leave your username and password behind on that PC that is not yours.

I think the question you may really be asking is:

"Is there a way for me to Log Out of the forum but "not" clear the cookies?"

Is this correct? Please respond and lets see what Chris has to say about it.

Thanks Chuck,

Jim

cdbMidland

Chuck,

I think the question you may really be asking is:

"Is there a way for me to Log Out of the forum but "not" clear the cookies?"

Is this correct? Please respond and lets see what Chris has to say about it.

Thanks Chuck,

Jim

Jim, you've got it right. I use my laptop to access the forum, so I'm not worried about someone else using it.