Special Endorsement For 'Heavy' Trailer Towing For BC Residents

DHill57

Hello, We are about to become residents of BC and have a 2103 Landmark Mesa that weighs in at about 13500 pounds dry. It appears to me that I will have to have a special endorsement on my BC drivers license to lawfully tow the trailer even though on my current Alberta drivers licence there is no such requirement....nor is there the requirement in any other jurisdiction in North America that I can find.

Do I really need the endorsement? If so what is required and how difficult is it to get it? I am hearing differing views of the process and need to obtain the endorsement.

Thanks in advance!

priorguy

I know Ontario upped the max weights a couple of years ago to align with other provinces and most US states. I'd check with the ministry if transportation or RCMP to get the definitive answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianharrison

British Columbia's special license endorsement is in place because of the provincial run insurance company, ICBC, in my humble opinion.

You do not need to get it to legally drive on roads with out of province drivers address or license. I would suspect you would need it if you were ICBC insured and tried to claim on an accident.

It is easy to get, just need a friend with the endorsement to drive your rig to test station. I have a couple of brothers-in-laws that live in BC and are ICBC insured. Not sure if you can get private PL&PD insurance for trailers in BC (VIN qualified).

There are posts here about California having a similar requirement?

Brian

EDIT: I see BC does have a learners process in place for this endorsement. There is a fact sheet here --> Clicky here. Here is the complete guide. Clicky here.

EDIT EDIT: Here is an online article that is a good read for BC Holiday Trailer endorsement 51. Clicky here.