Anyone Use a Portable Freezer?

Golfgar4

We've been working with a dealer on buying an '09 3670. We're full timers, so the single door refridgerator and VERY small freezer above just won't cut it, especially when we might be in a state or national park some distance from the closest grocery store. The dealer contacted the factory to see if they had any 3670's that already had the 12 cubic foot side by side we want, but unfortunately they don't. They could get one sent out here (Nevada) on February 5th, but because of other committments, we need to have it before the end of January. So even the dealer can't get the side by side until February.

We're prepared to buy the 3670 that's on the dealers lot right now and figure out how to replace the fridge at a later date. It'll cost us about $1,800.00, but we feel that it's important since we do full time. We were thinking that maybe we could buy a small, portable type freezer for $400 or $500 that we could put in the storage bay to help out until we can have the side by side installed.

Has anyone done anything along these lines? Anyone have a different short term solution? We're open to suggestions. Thanks.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Why not take the dimensions of the fridge opening and simply buy a house-type refrigerator that will fit. It would give you more freezer space, but you would lose the capability to use propane. I believe it would stay cold enough to keep things frozen while traveling,

jpmorgan37

Golfgar4'

If you will do a search you will find that a number of us carry different sizes of small freezers. I carry a 5 cu ft chest type that works well for us. Check this thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=3379&highlight=chest+freezer

pickuphunt

portable freezer

We purchased an AVANTI portable freezer. The size is 2.2 cu. ft. Cost $137.00 That sounds small, but it serves us well.It is a size that will fit in the front storage compartment of our Big Horn. We do have a later model with the "drop frame" front which gives more height in the front compartment. We drilled a small hole in the wall separating the 'basement' compartment from the front storage compartment, cut the end off an extension cord, fed the cord through the hole and then installed a replacement plug on the cord. You do have to be a bit flexible to get items in and out of the freezer, but it can be done. Finally, I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer with remote (wire) sensor that I place in the freezer and have the monitor attached with velcro near the front compartment door to monitor the temperature at a glance. We bought the freezer from www.pcrichard.com on line, shipping was free at the time, I'm not sure if that is still the case. WFM (works for me)

v92c

Texan
We added a 5.5 Cu Ft Upright freezer to the front closet. I found it on Craigslist for $30. Now we carry a few bags of ice and lots of frozen foods.

StevieWonder

You might consider one of these Engel units. They are PORTABLE and, unlike house-sized units, run on BOTH 12VDC and 115VAC. They are light enough (emptied out) for one person to move with relative ease. And you don't take a chance of them leaking inside your closet.

I have a friend who has Engle 35 model (35 qts of storage) and leaves it on in his tow vehicle for days at a time without it running the battery down. He also has another one in the basement of his BigHorn which he runs off a 12VDC outlet he had installed there.

They're pricier than a normal 115VAC unit, but infinitely more flexible and you can keep it totally frozen when not hooked up to AC power.

http://www.bigfrogmountain.com/engel_products.htm

sjrellis

Another option, is to not have the ice maker, which will free up freezer space. We have the 10cf w/o the ice maker and it works well for us. You will lose the sliding pantry by getting the 12 cf.

madigand

Another vote for the 4 cu ft chest freezer in the front closet. We originally planned on putting it outside, but like the convenience of it inside.

Last edited:

Golfgar4

Thanks everyone! Great ideas. Nice to know that others are doing similar things. I'll let you know what we end up doing.

sealman

Thanks Stevie Wonder......I have an Engle Refriderator/Freezer. These units come in different sizes and run on 110 and 12v. There is one in my truck and one in the basement of my Bighorn. They are built for long term use, and are very high quality. I leave the one in the truck on all the time, and it has never drained the battery. It runs on 2.5amps when it is running.

John E. Smith Sr.
Bighorn 3100RL