Rear Dock Lights

whp4262

The plastic housing around the Dock lights in the rear cap of my Cyclone started to crack. When I took the lights out the housing just crumbled apart, probably made by the same company that makes dashes for Dodge trucks. So I called Heartland to get a couple replacement lights and found out that Heartland can no longer get the them. I searched the internet and made several phones calls and came up with nothing. The only lights I found that looked like they would fit the holes in the cap were hologen lights that according to the specs would draw 4 amps each. 8 amps was more than I wanted to draw from the battery or carry through the existing wire. The original lights were only 20w each, they looked good in the cap but weren't very bright.

So I cut 2 round plates from some .050 aircraft aluminum sheet that I had in the shop to cover the holes in the rear cap. I bought 2 Attwood LED docking lights from Amazon, P/N 6522SS7 that I mounted to the aluminum plates. These lights are supposed to be as bright as 55w hologen lights, I can't confirm this but they are plenty bright and they draw less than an amp each. The lights cost me a little over $100.00 for the pair. I liked the looks of the old lights better but I think the Mod turned out OK and the LEDs are much brighter.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    451.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0941.JPG
    IMG_0941.JPG
    749.8 KB · Views: 49

porthole

Retired
That worked out fairly well and looks good.

I ran a 10 gauge wire from the pin box to my docking lights. The pin box end is hooked up to the reverse lights at the trailer connector.

Last edited:

CarterKraft

Nice job, I want to connect my docking lights to the reverse wire in the 7 way as Porthole did but it's way down the list of mods for now.