slider hitch, one more time

bpmills

I know this subject has been covered many times but I picked up my new Dodge 1-ton Mega cab dually yesterday and plan to pull my new 3400rl Bighorn. The question is do I really need the slider hitch. I also understand they take up more room in the truck bed. Any advice from the experts would be helpful before I make my decision. Thank you

grizzlygiant

My truck is close to yours; I do not have duals however but do have the 6 1/2' bed. I do NOT have a slider hitch and in most instances have no need of one. However twice now I have tried to back in and have turned just a little too much and have touched the cab with the cap of my 3400. No damage has occurred but would have if I had not heard the "squeek" of fiberglass on metal. I am happy with the things the way they are and simpley will be more observant and careful on extreem backing turns.

BJ'sDad

With the Mega Cab I think I'd err on the side of caution and get a manual slide hitch. You may never need it, but the one time you do, you'll be glad you spend a couple hundred extra bucks to save you from a 1K or more repair bill on the truck.

The bed of the Mega Cab I believe is actually a couple inches shorter than the normal short bed, and it's that inch or two that could get you in trouble.

I've got a shortbed Ram 4x4 and with my Sundance, I don't need the slider, but I'm glad I bought it, as I need it to back my trailer down the hill in my driveway. I've got roughly 8 inches of clearance over the bed rails sitting on the level, but the rear corner of the bed will just touch the bottom of the camper if I don't slide the hitch before backing down the hill to park mine.

*EDIT*.. I just realized that all the shortbed Rams now have the 76 inch bed like the Mega Cab.. mine is old enough to still have the full 6 1/2 foot bed. Without doing some research into the wheelbases and whether those 2 inches came off just the rear section of the bed or not so that the correct hitch placement can be attained in relation to the axle for the weight transfer, I think a slider hitch would be a wise choice in any case.

Yes, the manual sliders make a little more noise with the clunking when you take off or brake, but it's a small price to pay for the piece of mind you get knowing you can get yourself out of nearly any situation by having the slider.

One of my favorite campgrounds has a rather short incline to pull up to get out onto the road, and that was the main reason I bought the slider just in case... don't need it at the campground so I found out, but I never thought about the driveway here at home and that's where I ended up needing it... go figure.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Slider

Burt, I have a slider in our TV because of the way I have to turn to get the coach in the back yard. I have to put the slider back so the coach will turn quicker. I also think that it will be useful in Montana on our land there because of the terrain. The hitch was only about $200 bucks more. Bob

BP-
I have the short bed and have a manual slider (9"). I haven't had to use the slider and many with much more experienced have suggested that it is not needed. I spent the extra $200 because I felt it was a cheap price to pay for "peace of mind". I wouldn't spend the money for the SuperGlide, that would be overkill. Good Luck

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hitch for 2009 BH 3400RE

I am picking up my new RV at the end of this month and they are putting on a husky 16K hitch. I went on the husky website and they have the entry level single pivot or the double pivot. When i talk to the service mgr what does anyone think about my choices? I, am the rookie from san clemente. Is it necessary to get the slider. I am not very mechanical, so I don't have a clue.

Larry and Debbi Kuhn
2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6 and 3/4" Bed Lariat Diesel
2009 BH 3400RE

jpmorgan37

Larry;

You definitely want the double pivot. Most of the drivers with the SWB don't use the slider, but a few do on occasion.

John

bpmills

I am picking up my new RV at the end of this month and they are putting on a husky 16K hitch. I went on the husky website and they have the entry level single pivot or the double pivot. When i talk to the service mgr what does anyone think about my choices? I, am the rookie from san clemente. Is it necessary to get the slider. I am not very mechanical, so I don't have a clue.

Larry and Debbi Kuhn
2008 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 6 and 3/4" Bed Lariat Diesel
2009 BH 3400RE

Hi Larry: The Dealership and most people think it is the way to go (the slider) so for a few hundred dollars more I will be safe than sorry. I have the 2009 BH 3400rl so they would be about the same weight. Mine in going into a Dodge 1-ton Mega cab dually. Probably will never use it, but it is better to be safe than sorry. Let me know how your first trip goes. My truck goes in tomorrow to get the bed sprayed with that line-x stuff and then the hitch will be put in Thursday. Still nervous about driving, (are you) it seems like a monster.
Burt

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Burt, as I suggested to Larry its your option. I got the manual slider and the double pivot hitch. For $200.00 I dont worry anymore, no:eek::eek:'s Bob

Larryheadhunter

Hi Burt,
Thanks for the info. I spoke with the service mgr and he said he was going to put a slider on for me as I am going to be towing a 3400RE and not having any experience with backing in, he doesn't want me to kill myself on our first trip.

Larry and Debbi Kuhn

Larryheadhunter

Clovis RV

the sales mgr at Clovis RV said he was putting on the 16K entry level hitch on mine, and if i wanted to upgrade it was going to cost me moocho. At camping world they have a 16K lider automatic glider hitch that move 14" naturally including tight turns. Its the new styly but they want like $2500 for it. I am in a quandry. Any ideas please

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Larry, it's probably a Pull Rite hitch. Look on ebay for better pricing. There are several dealers online as well and I know the folks here will chime in. We were lucky as ours was given to us. We're running the slider in a long bed. (got the hitch before we got the truck) Really don't need the slider part, but may change to a short bed at some time so will keep it. It works without even thinking about it and is a great, easy to use hitch.
I know they're expensive, but you can move them from truck to truck and if you're going to be at this camping thing for awhile it might be a good investment. Just my 2 cents.

truknutt

Committed Member
Larry,

Bob is right, there are better deals out there. PPLMotorhomes happens to have what I believe is your outfit on sale this week. Without adding in the freight, I came up with $800.58 for your rails, hitch head and the slider assembly. You may be able to find it cheaper.

You still have to pay for the install unless you're confident in your "drilling & torque wrenching" abilities. Then again, what is your time & peace of mind worth ? :rolleyes:

Dave

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
5th Wheel Hitch

About 3 Years ago I purchased a Reese Signature 18K Slide with rails for less than $ 1000 for an online hitch company. I did not pay for any shipping because I drove 15 miles to pick it up. There are many hitch companies that you can purchase a hitch on line. Just do a on line search on Yahoo or Google.

Cooper

I gave $500.00 for mine a Reeves 16K slider with 4 way head inculding the rails. I installed it myself.

Larryheadhunter

Hitch, slider and pin box for 2009 BH 3400RE

Thanks for the info. Clovis included installing the "appropriate" entry level single pivot 16K Husky hitch and a brake controller if needed which it isn't without a slider or hitch box and telling me they cost $1466. I am trying to find out from them what it will cost to upgrade to a Husky EZ Roller 9" slider, and a Mor/Ryde pin box system. It would be interesting if they wouldn't or didn't have access to what I wanted installed and offered me a cash rebate and I could have it all done the way I wanted to in the first place. Not likely.

On a great note I drove off the lot last nite my new Ford F-250 Crew Cab Lariat 4x2 so now next week on to Las Vegas to see our fathers on our maiden voyage just to put on the miles needed to haul our new RV and mentally prepare. The worst part is the weather up in Clovis is snowing and rain and cold for the next month. I may have to pick it up and bring it home directly and camp locally in Orange County and San Diego before the SoCal Rally Feb 22. Anyone interested in joining us let me know.

Larryheadhunter

Larry,

Bob is right, there are better deals out there. PPLMotorhomes happens to have what I believe is your outfit on sale this week. Without adding in the freight, I came up with $800.58 for your rails, hitch head and the slider assembly. You may be able to find it cheaper.

You still have to pay for the install unless you're confident in your "drilling & torque wrenching" abilities. Then again, what is your time & peace of mind worth ? :rolleyes:

Dave
Hi Dave,
I just went on the pplmotorhomes website and they want $1249 for the pullrite 18K superglide and another $400 for the rail kit. They also want $112 for the capture plate. That's about $1800 not including installation. Camping World is selling and installing it for me on Saturday for $2300. With Bob and Patty's advice we are also getting the Mor/Ryde pin box, and the Mor/Ryde capture plate so the dealer, Clovis RV said he would install the mor/ryde for $100.

truknutt

Committed Member
Larry,

Sorry 'bout that; I was looking for a 16K slider setup. Sounds as if you're going big and convenient! Good deal.

Dave