'09 3210le

truknutt

Committed Member
Well it took an additional 10 weeks but, the boys at Heartland and Boat-N-Rv came through for us. See my previous thread @ //heartlandowners.org/forum...ead.php?t=3903 for the story of our first attempt at ownership. (Jim B. - Is this the proper way to link to an existing thread?)

This baby is sweeeet! Due to the timing of the rebuild, we now have a 2009. Factory upgrades include 6K axles & 16 inch tires with a new GVWR of 20,400 Lbs!. A/V equipment includes a Sirius Satellite radio and Jensen JDV8035 Multimedia Player/Receiver (AM/FM/DVD/CD/MP3), Jensen Power Amp, Bass & Speakers. Outside speakers have been lowered on the side of the rig.

The PDI went nearly flawless. Had a slight problem with the fuel pump which turned out to be the timer relay behind the monitor panel. Luckily the only other Cyclone on the lot happened to be the one we rejected! A quick liberation of its relay had us pumping again.

The shower drain leaked terribly. The hole in the shower's base appears to be too large for the the rv drain fixture. When we tightened the drain to the base, the assembly would slide to the side and the gasket kept sucking down and leaving a gaping hole. The tech replaced the assembly with a different style from their parts dept but it also had the same results. As the rig was now winterized, I told him I'd tinker with it at home over the winter. (Honestly, I just wanted to hit the road before DW started getting ornery.)

I've attached a couple of photos taken in the Cabela's parking lot across from the dealer. Good thing we took the opportunity then because the rain soon came and spotted that beautiful rig with residual salt spray from the Interstate.

The fun part was putting it in its garage stall when we got home. The stall's interior length is 39 foot and it turns out this baby is 35'8" from bumper to the front of the hitch. Whew, that 33'9" in the sales brochure nearly got me!

Truck and 5er weighed in at 20,200 lbs. (4,560 frt axle, 6,020 rear axle, & 9,620 trailer). Full propane tanks, full fueling station tank and 1/2 tank of diesel .

Attachments

• Cyc0098.jpg
    Cyc0098.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Cyc0089.jpg
    Cyc0089.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Cyc0085.jpg
    Cyc0085.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Cyc0093.jpg
    Cyc0093.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Cyc0097.jpg
    Cyc0097.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Cyc0099.jpg
    Cyc0099.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Congrats on the new Baby. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with it. Thanks too for your continuing service to our country.

jbeletti

TrukNutt,

Happy to hear you have a trailer! You pasted a link directly into the message. It's messy but simple to do and effective. Don't worry about it.

Next time, if you'd like to do it another way, type your message, then go back and highlight the words you want to be the hyperlink. Then click the Insert Link icon (World with a paper clip on it) and a link box will pop up. Paste your link in it and click OK. Done. It will look funny in the message editor but it will look great in the preview and in the post.

Let us know how you come out on the shower drain and have fun!

Jim

Pwrplayer

MickeyMouseEngineer
Ditto: '09 3210LE

truknutt, We recently had the same missing rear door issue (discovered yesterday at pickup). Apparently, the rear door was removed with the new model number 3210LE. For some reason, Heartland is/has now added the door back. (I'm guessing they realized this was not a good design change.)
This occurred on an '09 3210LE produced just before Christmas.
Not sure what is going to be done to resolve my issue. :confused:
I'm assuming you placed a new order?
(I don't feel like waiting on another order, Ugh...)

I'm going to work on compiling a list of detailed spec changes based on different model years, etc. This can be very confusing.

I'll update everyone on the resolution.

truknutt

Committed Member
Pwrplayer,

Sorry to hear you had the same "missing door" issue. My dealership allowed me to refuse the unit and then the Sales Manager got on the phone with his Factory Sales Rep (who happened to be at the Hershey show when I ordered it & was involved in my transaction).

Our Dealer's Sales Manager relayed from the factory that there had been a design change in the interest of saving money and that the factory had failed to inform their dealership network. Again, these are the Sales Manager's words to me; I never heard this from a Factory Employee.

Long story short, they put my order back in the queue and that is how I ended up with the 2009 versus the original 2008.

Other than just disappointment and lost travel time, we were okay with the situation. We didn't have plans to use the unit and were going to place it in storage anyway. Believe me, the wait was well worth it in our situation. I also believe that the reason my 2nd PDI was nearly perfect and went so smoothly was because they knew we had turned down the 1st unit without blinking an eye and would probably do the same again if need be! Whatever, the end result was "all good".

Good Luck and hope you end up with a satisfactory resolution.

Dave

truknutt

Committed Member
Re: Pasting a former link....

Jim,

I knew the way I did it was to easy, that's why I questioned it!

When using the procedure you suggest...will my entire "Novel" appear in the post? This was what I was trying to avoid as I was pretty long-winded on my very first post.

Thanks for the comeback,

Dave

Wallaby

Truknutt, congratulations on the 3210. I am still looking hard at those rigs, love the overall package with the comparative shorter length. When I read about the deletion of the rear access door, I was very concerned, and it had me re-looking at other products. Seems like Heartland came to their senses and rectified the problem, is this confirmed by the Factory? The website is so outdated, can't tell from there.

Can you explain the differences between the 08 and the 09 3210 (if any) and what does the LE package consist of? The 16" wheels are a good upgrade.

Congratulations again, and enjoy that rig.

jbeletti

Dave,

You lost me with your question.

What I do is type my entire post. Then I review it for links I want to put in. If I decide to put a link in, I merely highlight "only" the text I want to be the link. Then I use the Insert Link icon and paste in my link. It looks funny on screen in the editor but appears correctly in the preview and in the post.

It does not duplicate your post text and it is not harder to do this way. Give it a try.

Jim

truknutt

Committed Member
Jim,

Got it! I was doing three things at once when I read your original suggestion and failed to clarify, for myself, what you were telling me.

Thanks again,

Dave

truknutt

Committed Member
Truknutt, congratulations on the 3210. I am still looking hard at those rigs, love the overall package with the comparative shorter length. When I read about the deletion of the rear access door, I was very concerned, and it had me re-looking at other products. Seems like Heartland came to their senses and rectified the problem, is this confirmed by the Factory? The website is so outdated, can't tell from there.

Can you explain the differences between the 08 and the 09 3210 (if any) and what does the LE package consist of? The 16" wheels are a good upgrade.

Congratulations again, and enjoy that rig.

Wallaby,

When we ordered in Sep 2007, it was to be a 3210 Full Throttle with the A/V Metal package. DW wanted larger Reefer w/ice maker and larger water heater. I opted for the 5.5 Onan genset, rear pull-down screen, slide room awnings, electric rear stabilizers and kitchen Fantastic-fan but didn't want the rear electric beds. Requested it be wired for a second A/C. Apparently the order hit the factory as they were retooling for their design changes and it was decided that with our option choices we would receive the LE model (Dealer's words). So to answer your question "...what does the LE package consist of?", you should probably ask your dealer to get a more accurate answer than I can honestly give! Sorry.

The Heartland website and printed sales brochures appear to depict the 2007 model.

2008 built in Oct 2007: 5200 lbs axles w/15" tires/rims, 1 solid entry door (no glass), the electronics were a hodge-podge of makes, reefer & microwave were stainless-like. The dinette no longer has pull out drawers in front; storage access is under the cushions. No safety rail on loft bed nor spice rack in the kitchen, bedroom cabinetry is different and lavatory is squared to the wall. 2 gray water tanks due to washer/dryer hookups in garage. TV is now in the entertainment center vice over the door. Rear screen has the funky latch using the bolt in the track system discussed in another thread on this forum.

2009 built in Dec 2007: 6k axles w/ 16" tires/rims, 2 entry doors w/glass, black kitchen appliances, all A/V equipment is Jensen (not sure about the make of the TV) with a Sirius satellite radio, 2 outside speakers were lowered on the side of the rig from just below the awning to head-height (6 ft). The bathroom is now 5-sided as the door is on an angle to allow more walking room between the corner of the bed and the bathroom (it's the little things!). The rear screen has a different latch system that is spring-loaded; very nice. Most noteable is the new front cap with recessed led marker lights; 2 at the bottom are night-time guidance lights for hooking up and are turned on/off via the toggle switch above the front landing gear rocker switch.

I think that covers it so far. You can search the internet for dealers with pictures of the units but, I've found that some use the wrong images for the model you want so be wary. The brochures are outdated so until that is remedied, you really have to physically see one.

Hope this helps anyone interested,

Dave

Pwrplayer

MickeyMouseEngineer
Model Specs, etc.

I've driven to a number of dealers and walked through about 6+ Cyclone 3210's before ordering.
Truknutt mentioned the outdated web/brochures. :confused:
The outdated literature, outdated specs/layouts, outdated pics, and failure of communication from the manufacturer to the dealers is unacceptable. The online cyclone 8pg PDF brochure show a revision date of 01/07. The latest printed version shows a rev date of 04/07. That means those specs and pics are likely from Nov '06 - Jan '07.
The dealer doesn't even know what they will get when they order. This creates a bad situation where the customer expectation will automatically not be met.

Over time there were other items deleted/moved in an effort to reduce the costs.

Current '09 3210LE's:
-Replaced brushed aluminium work center in garage with shelf.
-Removed helmet and cabinet storage in garage. (Nearly no storage in garage.)
-Removed top cabinet doors above kitchen sink.
-TV in top of entertainment cntr (no swivel arm). I've seen 3 different TV locations.
-Dinette has 2 legs instead of 3.
-The famed built-in diamond plate toolbox has been deleted?? (Need to verify)
-Diamond plate has been deleted from the basement cargo areas. (Need to verify)
-UDC compartment door under bed slide missing struts to hold open. (Thx TrukNutt, may have been overlooked during build.)
-Outdoor stereo deleted? (Need to verify)
-Just makes me wonder what other hidden (previously standard) features have been deleted?

3210LE PICS These were the only good ones I could find. Note: No rear door.

Another serious issue I have with all RV manufacturers is GVWR and dry weight ratings. (This is a serious safety issue!) All of them are wrong. 3210's say 10950, most come in around 12K+ dry! (another thread on this forum) Search Google for the Raptor owners who were sent new weight spec decals adding 1,000 lbs of dry weight (a yr later). Do the math, the additional weight put them over by a good bit.
With recent design changes, I wonder what the real 3210 weight is? I know the specs on the web have not been updated.
By the way, the new axles/tires increase GVWR to over 20K+. (I believe) The irony is (if true), this most likely makes Heartland Cyclones the leader in highest GVWR. That is something that Heartland marketing should brag about.

Many of the features that make the Cyclones distinguished among the competition are being removed.

I still think the Cyclones are the best choice. I just hate to see Heartland compromise their previous high quality in an effort to save a few bucks of a 40-60K price tag. (It's like grains of sand on the beach. If to many go, then what was beautiful is no longer.)
A customer has always had the option to buy an inexpensive Cyclone. They just need to order the unit with options they need. Don't spend $$ on rear beds, cent vac, etc. if it's not needed. Options sometimes constitute nearly $10K of the total price.
Less options, Less money, Less weight.
I don't really feel there has been a price point problem. This is evident when you attempt to find a Cyclone on the lot, especially a 3210.
The real issue has been the dealers ordering units loaded up with every option and then marking up the unit a considerable amount.
Many people do not need the rear beds if the model has the rear loft.
I'm not really fond of sleeping 8 people, even if I have the beds!

Hopefully, Heartland will resolve my issue soon.
I didn't intend to vent, but I have collected a large amount of info and just wanted to pass it on.:eek:

Last edited:

Loco

Pw,
I agree with you on the fact that HL is cut the things out that was a first for toy haulers. We got our 3795 because it had a King bed,lot of living room,good storage,big garage .Now you can not get a king bed. They also took the tv down from over the door. Which we like because that is wasted space anyway,and so much more made us go with the 3795 Cyclone Fullthrottle. When we got ours it was the biggest one out there. Than came the 4012,3912, Bigger heavier but the dry weights do not change? I do not think so! Our rig dry weight was labeled 11500lbs NOT It was 12560lbs. Well anyway we love ours and I am the kind of guy who adapts and over comes just about anything and every thing. But for the poor folks that can not,I feel for them when buying a RV of any type. I have decided that all RV manufactures do not have a clue how to build a really good rig, I mean a really good one. I wish I had the money to start a manufacture up.I would build a rig to last.

truknutt

Committed Member
It looks like the new ones only have 1 spotlight per side. Am I seeing correctly?

Donabel,

Yes, that is correct. I failed to mention that point. On the Curbside the spotlight is up front while on the roadside it is in the rear.

4DMTNS

I have to say I am extremely glad that I have an early '08, I took delivery in Feb '07 as well, I have two 45 gal grey tanks unlike others. The door into the garage was one reason I choose the Cyclone over the Raptor (299). I more than likely would not purchase the 3210 now with the changes , placement of tv, no doors on cabinets in kitchen, loss of drawers and cabinets in bedroom, extra length (?) and other small items. The only "improvement" that I see is the 6k axles and 16" rims (should have had this from day one). It seems Heartland is headed in the wrong direction, after seeing the changes I went and bought a six year extended warranty so I can keep mine longer, hopefully by then they will have come to their senses.

bcpolaris

bcpolaris
That rear door is a very common issue. When i purchased my 3210 2008 I thought I was getting the one with NO man door in the garage but when I drove the 1400 miles to go pick up the rig I was very surprised it had one. Now that I have had the 3210 for a month. I am so happy with the garage side door. My wife wont let me use the main door. She always tells me my boots are too dirty. Another reason why toyhaulers are the best RVs.

Country

This baby is sweeeet! Due to the timing of the rebuild, we now have a 2009. Factory upgrades include 6K axles & 16 inch tires with a new GVWR of 20,400 Lbs!.
I know this is an old post (I haven't been on here in quite a while) but I wanted to tell our story. Greg told us that we could take credit for all the future Cyclones having the upgraded 6k axles and 16's. See, we met Greg and Dave at the Hershey show and discussed in great detail the weak axles and the limited weight capacity on the 15" wheels and tires. I pointed out that Rapter had just gone to 6k and 16" and it was a shame if Cyclone didn't do the same. I also explained all the tire failures I'd read about and that you needed 16" wheels to be able to get a higher rated tire to get some "safety margin". They said they would have to get with the engineers and see what they could do. Greg said they had a cargo trailer there (a empty Cyclone chassis) that he though they put 6k's and 16's on. It was a company trailer they used to haul things to the different RV shows and they had "beefed" it up to haul more weight. We went and looked and it was exactly what we had in mind. Right down to the Goodyear G614's. We had a factory tour scheduled the next month and they told us they would have a decision on whether they could "factory up grade" us or not by then.

When we went to Indiana for the tour, Greg told us that they could upgrade ours and that they had researched it out and some time in the near future all Cyclones would come standard with the upgrade. It turned out ours #7800 was the 1st one and they continued from the serial number forward. He said we could be proud because of us, they decided to make the change and we had the very 1st one!

It's been almost a year now so I figured it was safe to tell the story.

Thanks Greg! What a great company!

Anyway, that's how the Cyclones got the "good" axles and wheels. Hope you still love your 3210 and all the new things you got on the "09 version.