towing

bowman

HI I am a new member and would like to say hi and ask some questions I own 2011 f 250 6.7 short box I have just purchased a 2013 3800 cyclone cant afford to by another truck will I be ok towing this trailer only wife and I in truck and we don't pack to heavy weight of trailer is 14,765 lbs hitch weight 3,100 any information will help thanks DON //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon7.png

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You will be over on payload. Recommend you add "helper springs" such as those from SuperSprings as soon as possible. You'll still be over from a legal perspective, but the the helper springs give you some margin of safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi Bowman,

Congratulations on your new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

There are two loads you have to be concerned with: 5th wheel towing capacity which is horizontal load, and payload which is vertical load.

Your 3800 has a GVWR of 18,000 lbs. The empty/dry weight spec is probably not anywhere close to the actual weight, which could easily be closer to 16,000 lbs because of options. There should be a sticker on the entry door frame showing the actual empty/dry weight as it left the factory.

As you put your stuff in, and add a little water to the tanks, it's pretty easy to add another 1000 lbs. So you could get closer to 17,000 lbs even if you think you're traveling light. The only way to know for sure is to go to a scale and weigh the rig.

Your F250 probably has a 5th wheel tow capacity of around 16,000 lbs. So depending on how heavy your rig really is, you could be overloaded on the horizontal load. This will be especially obvious on hills; both up and down. Sometimes going downhill can be a much more serious problem than going up.

You probably have a payload capacity around 2,600 lbs. That covers the pin weight, the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, passengers, pets and anything else in the truck. The hitch weight spec of 3,100 is not likely to be close to actual. You could easily be over 3,500, especially if "we don't pack too heavy" means no toys in the back. The end result is you could be seriously overloaded on the rear axle of the truck, to the point of unbalancing the truck.

Most people recommend a 1 ton dually for a trailer of this size.

You can find more detailed information at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, a website created by another Heartland owner.

bowman

Thanks for the information I guess I will be getting helper springs and being careful because I am not going out and buying a dully plus we don't go that far not retired yet 4 more years then maybe a bigger truck

caissiel

My best ride with my F250 is with 2 extra ply of springs installed at the spring shop. Make sure you don't overload your tires.
Best would be 18s with load rated at 126s. No way 17s can be more then 3200lbs each.
Your drive ratio should be 3.73 if you want comfort. But short runs don't matter.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

scottyb

bowman, congratulations on your new rig. Since you asked for thoughts about your tow rig, here's my .02. I too started with what I had to work with, which was a SRW 3500. I found that it pulled it OK, but soon learned that I was severely overloaded on paper. Just know that you are overloaded and only you can determine if the risk is acceptable. Your tires are among the strongest LT tires out there at 3750 lbs. My wife drives a F250 SB with the same setup and tires.