forward compartment not sealed???

boalpd

2013 Silverado RK forward storage compartment is not sealed. Is this a manufacturing oversight? It's going to fill with road dirt and dust.

What's the fix?
expanding foam and paint?

Thanks,
Phil

Pizzadigger

I think you are talking about the compartment where an optional generator would be mounted. If so it wouldn't be sealed. But spray foam will work you can get the foam in black. Not sure if you can paint spray foam.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My fix was to use screen material formed inti a U-channel, taped in place and the fill the channel with expanding foam. The screen gives the foam something to grip and prevent it from running all over as you spray it. You can paint the tan foam if you like, but nobody is going to see it but you. Once it sets, you can trim any excess with a hacksaw blade or knife. I don't have a generator, so venting it was not a concern.

boalpd

This is the compartment. The outer skin is not sealed to the frame allowing dirt/moisture into the compartment.
Are all units open to the road?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 49

Pizzadigger

They don't seal that compartment because that is where they mount the generator. You don't want fumes building up in there. If you don't have a generator you can seal it up with spray foam and caulk.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Are you referencing the door seal? Yes, it should have a gasket to seal it. The compartment, around the legs, should have foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk