Organizing the Basement

JanAndBill

The large open space in our basement had become a catchall to the point that we couldn't find anything. Yesterday was such a pretty day that the time was right to pull "everything" out on the drive. Out in the light of day, we were able to eliminate some things (If you haven't used it in a year, chances are you're not going to use it). We repacked the plastic totes (labeled each end so we could easily tell what was in them), and eliminated the "half full" ones. We bought a set of 3 compartmented boxes with clear tops, that all the tools, nuts, bolts, wire, etc went into. No more searching through a jumbled up box to find something. On the off door side of the front basement wall, we attached hangers for the tools that won't fit in the toolbox. On the door side front basement wall, we attached two clips. The table and other tall skinny items are standing on edge against this wall. A ratchet strap goes around them and hooks to the clips, so that we can snug them up against the wall. That way we can remove items without them falling over. On the back wall attached our home-made hangers for the fishing rods, from some excess 1-1/2" PVC pipe I had in the shop.

IMG_0565 (640x480).jpg

wdk450

This is a job to think about as New Year's slips by. The totes are usually on sale all over at that time.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
That looks great Bill, especially for the rods. Thanks for sharing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's a tip to go with reorganizing your tool box. Use small medicine bottles (the ones with clear tubes) to hold small fasteners and such. That way you always have an assortment for quick repairs. Usually a blister pack from the hardware store will fit in easily.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I built this rack in the center of the basement to hold our chairs and small tables upright for easy access instead of stacking things on top of each other. There is still access behind the UDC (saw someone else's post about adding doors; that's on my to do list) and plenty of room on both sides for the other necessities.
ps-first time attaching a photo. Hope it's there:rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 803

JanAndBill

I built this rack in the center of the basement to hold our chairs and small tables upright for easy access instead of stacking things on top of each other. There is still access behind the UDC (saw someone else's post about adding doors; that's on my to do list) and plenty of room on both sides for the other necessities.

You know using closet hardware didn't even dawn on me. Lyle you've opened up a whole new list of possibilities!!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Now that is an interesting idea! Trying to stuff our chairs into the front compartment is a PITA. Maybe I'll switch the totes of "utility" stuff to the front and move the chairs into the basement and have them more accessible.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks. To hang my fishing poles, broom, etc, I screwed 1 1/2" plastic conduit hangers to the "ceiling" so they hang above the chairs in the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

Anybody using a sliding tray like Mor?rydes in your basement? This thought has crossed my mind.

JanAndBill

Thanks. To hang my fishing poles, broom, etc, I screwed 1 1/2" plastic conduit hangers to the "ceiling" so they hang above the chairs in the rack.

I use " PVC pipe for cheap hangers. Cut it to 1" to whatever works for my application. Drill hole for screw driver on one side and hole for screw directly across. Cheap and quick.

kkamshop

We got the mor-ryde slide tray at the Goshen rally workes great. It sets on 2x2's to clear the door ledge that lets me store extention cords and leveling boards under it. That eliminated 2 totes I have more useable room now than before.

alex00

I'm liking this thread. It's great getting all the ideas on organizing the basement. I really like Lyle's chair holder. Keep posting up pictures, I like what I've seen so far.

jbeletti

Anybody using a sliding tray like Mor?rydes in your basement? This thought has crossed my mind.

I use the Mor/ryde sliding tray - love it! I placed it about 5 inches from the front gen wall so I could fit my 7 foot collapsible step ladder between the tray and the gen wall.

This is the second RV I've had this tray in. In this RV, the ODS opening is narrower so the tray won't slide out that side - but that's okay, I've gotten used to it.

I had to block the tray up off the floor to clear the door opening to slide out. This opened up about 2.5" of vertical space to store flatter items under the tray. I fully utilize that space as well.

On top of the tray itself, I use the semi-clear totes that are slightly tapered and have blue flipper doors on top. I have labeled one end of each tote. This method has worked for me since 2005.

While some may point out that you lose some vertical space with a tray installed, if you use the space underneath, you gain much of the loss back.

What I really, really like about using a tray is that I can stack 2 totes high by 2 totes wide, roll out the tray and find/access everything easily.

scottyb

Jim, is yours the 90" model and you just slide it out one side? It looks like on the 4100 that both basement doors are the same and low enough not to require elevating the slide tray.

JanAndBill

We have a dish satellite, which is a PITA to store. Yesterday while in Walmart, my DW found a zippered wreath storage bag for $4 which turned out to be our inspiration. When I got home I discovered that the arm was riveted at the dish. Took a 1/4" bit and drilled out the rivets, which lets the arm detach. 2 - 1/4" bolts and wing nuts reattach it in seconds. With the arm detached everthing fits into the wreath bag perfectly, making a compact way to store the dish.

IMG_0576 (640x596).jpgIMG_0577 (640x350).jpgIMG_0578 (541x640).jpg

mobilcastle

Jim
I bought Mor/Ryde slide. If I mount a 2x4 flat to the floor will that elevate the slide enough to clear the door opening?
Thanks
Steve