Brake Control Setting

iawoody2

I don't know if this is the correct place for this question, but here goes. I have a 2013 F250 crewcab 4x4 with factory controller and a 2013 Sundance 5er that weights about 12800 for travel. I also know that every setup is problably different. But what are others set at on their controller gain for best braking?
Thanks

evolvingpowercat

You must set your brake controller per its particular instruction manual, there are too many different kinds to let us give you general instructions for any kind. Personally I have a Prodigy. The Prodigy setup recommendation is to drive slowly (20-25 MPH) on a unpaved road and you operate the brakes manually at full power with a knob/lever on the controller. You set the full power braking just below trailer brake lockup. This generally is way less than 12 volts on my Edge this only takes the controller set to about 5. The voltage will depend on how many electric brakes your trailer have and its weight, Prodigy suggests you start at 6.

Most controllers are like the Prodigy and will never apply that full power unless you panic brake really hard. They sense the rate you are de-accelerating and apply brake voltage based on sensing how hard you are braking. But you want to get that full power setting right so that your trailer brakes don't lock up as once they lock up trailer wheels and tires are sliding and no longer giving the same "help" on stopping that they were before lockup.

The Prodigy also has a boost setting that programs it to "know" the weight of your trailer vs. your tow vehicle and apply the trailer brakes to match. If your trailer brake controller has that feature you need to set it up right, too.

jnbhobe

Bob, I would start at about 8 with electric brakes that are free of grease and adjusted right. and work from there

iawoody2

This doesn't really apply. As I already stated I have the Ford factory controlled.

You must set your brake controller per its particular instruction manual, there are too many different kinds to let us give you general instructions for any kind. Personally I have a Prodigy. The Prodigy setup recommendation is to drive slowly (20-25 MPH) on a unpaved road and you operate the brakes manually at full power with a knob/lever on the controller. You set the full power braking just below trailer brake lockup. This generally is way less than 12 volts on my Edge this only takes the controller set to about 5. The voltage will depend on how many electric brakes your trailer have and its weight, Prodigy suggests you start at 6.

Most controllers are like the Prodigy and will never apply that full power unless you panic brake really hard. They sense the rate you are de-accelerating and apply brake voltage based on sensing how hard you are braking. But you want to get that full power setting right so that your trailer brakes don't lock up as once they lock up trailer wheels and tires are sliding and no longer giving the same "help" on stopping that they were before lockup.

The Prodigy also has a boost setting that programs it to "know" the weight of your trailer vs. your tow vehicle and apply the trailer brakes to match. If your trailer brake controller has that feature you need to set it up right, too.

Grey Ghost

I have 2012 F-250 with the built in brake control and set it at 5.5 and it works just fine. My rig is a 2011 Greystone and weights in at about 12000 loaded (not water). I had it set at 6.5 and the brake would in-gauge and almost shook my eye teeth out, backed it off after that and now everything is just fine. I found that by just playing with it you will get it set right after a period of trial and error. Good luck! :cool:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have a 2012 F350 with a '14 3010 BH in tow and have my controller set the same as Grey Ghost. During the PDI test drive the tech had me "test" various settings but once I had it loaded ready to go (about 23K CGW) it seems 5.5 works pretty well here on the east coast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iawoody2

Thanks for the replies. I have been running 5, but after getting here to Florida noticed a little brake dust on the front wheels of truck. I have always been told that this indicates the the trailer brakes need to come on a little sooner. Will try 5.5 for awhile.