Bighorn's pre wired for solar?

Dale Smith

Thinking about a solar installation on my 2008 3055 Bighorn. I was asked if it was pre wired for solar panels. Anyone know the answer? I did not see it in any literature.

Has anyone put a system on a Bighorn? I am interested on tips, detailed instructions and what to avoid in the way of products.

Any assistance appreciated.

billd

The BH are not prewired for solar. I had a simple system installed. I had purchased a complete kit from RV Solar and when I had some work done I had it installed also. They ran the wires down the inside of the front cap, through the closet into the front bay. Turned out nice and keeps my battery charged all of the time.

Bill

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
We have a solar baterry charger on the roof. Very simple to wire-up and install. I'm certain that all solar panel kits are similar to install. We had the unit pretty much on a straight line from the roof to the battery, through the closet and battery compartment.

ChopperBill

How many panels and how many watts are you folks using? I have two 6v Interstate U2200 batteries. What do you recommend?

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
r4f
I have 4 intersate golf cart batteries in ours. We can go 6 days without much problem, being very careful with our electric usage. I have installed a 2 tube floresent light between the 2 lights in the living room. This cuts the drain from 8+ amps to 2.2 amps with that light on.
I am looking at LED's which would cut the light draw to 350 milliamps. I have 3 - 1 watt led's that I am playing with right now. Quite a bit of light but not enough, so we will keep om looking.
Rand

Dale Smith

Sailorand......wondering what your panels are on the roof. I was looking at two 110 watt panels, an inverter charge controller combo and 4 batteries. I know this will be $$ but I want to be able to operate a few items in the evening when dry camping. Do you have any experience with a BC company call Carmanah? ( former soltek ).
For wire routing ......did someone in the post say the went into the front compartment up near the nose cone? Was this done right at the nose, at the rubber roof joint?

Sure appreciate all the advice.

Dale

geeksrus

Sailorand......wondering what your panels are on the roof. I was looking at two 110 watt panels, an inverter charge controller combo and 4 batteries. I know this will be $$ but I want to be able to operate a few items in the evening when dry camping. Do you have any experience with a BC company call Carmanah? ( former soltek ).
For wire routing ......did someone in the post say the went into the front compartment up near the nose cone? Was this done right at the nose, at the rubber roof joint?

Dale

I dealt with Soltek in Calgary... very reliable.

EH!

crazybanshee

We have 420 watts on the roof and 4 Deka 6 volt batteries. The wires are run down the vent pipe. Kids play video games and watch TV with out any problems. Wife likes the heat at 70 and that runs all night too. Doug

wazz_zup

Dale

I would also be very interested where the wires were routed. I have a W/D vent up there in the front RH corner. That seems like a more feasible entry point rather than seperating the roof from the nose-cone. Also, where are y'all mounting the charge controller?
I have a coworker with the GP-RV110 110 watt system made by Carmanah and loves it. He's had it for 2 years...no issues. I really like the charge controller that comes with it...GPR-25 (25 amp max) colorful, very intuitive all the info I need. And with 110 watts, I figured that would be a good start, and so I bought the same system. Going to be hooked up to 2 8D batteries and the 2 factory group 27's. Plenty of juice for everything!

Last edited:

ChopperBill

wazz_zup: That is the same solar system I just bought in AZ. Its a pretty good controller. I am keeping mine completely portable. I bungee my panel to a 4 foot aluminum ladder so I can move it a couple of times a day to follow the sun. You would be surprised how much a panel can gain just pointing it better. My brother, a wood working fanatic, is making me a box to mount the controller in. I added a couple of alligator clamps from the controller to hook up to my two six volt batteries and two prong plug ins for my 25' 10 gauge wires for easy hook up to the 110w panel.
I am considering installing some florescent lamps and a catalytic heater to lower amp usage.

Wild Bill

Dedicated Bighorner
Solar panels? I'm considering hooking up an Acme Nuclear Reactor kit. Should be enough power to last the life of the rv.. and then some. Lol! I'm kidding of course, but wouldn't THAT be cool!?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Funny you mention that... I was a Nuclear Reactor Operator on a Submarine for a few years... :) If you have any questions about your Reactor.. I'm your guy! :D

LK

Michael do ya glow in the dark?:D Hmm.....Furkids!!;)...Ken

wazz_zup

As much as I like the portable idea, I don't relish the idea of packing it away every night or when we're away at the beach for instance. It's worth about $800 and believe it or not there are sticky fingers out there.
I did put together a custom frame from picture frames for the controller so I wouldn't have to cut a big square in the wall or cabinet to mount it. It'll just have a hole small enough to get a couple wires out and hang on the wall like a picture. I would like to easily remove the solar panel for the next RV in 5-7 years, so I'm planning to mount it on the roof and yes......drill 4 holes to mount the feet. When it comes time to move on to a new rig, I'll just leave the feet bolted and sealed for the next person. If they want to do solar, great. If not it just 4 little brackets up there not hurting anything. Got some Dicor lap sealant all ready to go when it's time to install. I've mounted 3 panels before this way and always drilled for mounting the panel. Used regular ol Home Depot silicone w/ no problems, but I'm stepping it up a notch and using the good stuff Dicor (recommended for rubber roofs) this time. Also the panel comes with rubber "wellnuts" and stainless hardware. Done it this way 3 times...no leaks.

linuxkidd

Michael do ya glow in the dark?:D Hmm.....Furkids!!;)...Ken

LOL.. Actually.. the Reactor compartment on US Naval vessels are shielded so well that you get more radiation laying on the beach than you do operating the reactor. :)

I'm pretty certain this applies to US Reactor based power stations. The way it's run in the US, it's an amazingly SAFE and CLEAN way to produce power. :) ( gotta get my plugs in where I can.. :) )

LK

billd

LOL.. Actually.. the Reactor compartment on US Naval vessels are shielded so well that you get more radiation laying on the beach than you do operating the reactor. :)

I'm pretty certain this applies to US Reactor based power stations. The way it's run in the US, it's an amazingly SAFE and CLEAN way to produce power. :) ( gotta get my plugs in where I can.. :) )

LK
I used to service office equipment at the San Onofre Power pant in San Clemente, CA. In the 2 years of serviceing there my badge never recorded any radiation while in the reactor buildings. I always felt safer inside the place than outside.

Bill