Brand identity

SeattleLion

Heartland makes four models of "luxury" fivers, two full profile, etc. we just bought a Bighorn. Is there any distinction between brands? I can't see anything obvious. Do you?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
There are currently some small distinctions such as different trim and colors, options vs. standards (most options on the bighorn are standard on the Landmark) and other small things such as differences in floor plans. However with Landmark having a new Brand Manager that line is supposed to be going under some big changes and renovations to make it truly a step above the rest.

Rod Ditrich

SeattleLion

There are currently some small distinctions such as different trim and colors, options vs. standards (most options on the bighorn are standard on the Landmark) and other small things such as differences in floor plans. However with Landmark having a new Brand Manager that line is supposed to be going under some big changes and renovations to make it truly a step above the rest.

Rod Ditrich

Makes sense. My understanding is that Landmark is a full-time, long-term fiver and that Bighorn is the top of the vacation trailer line That is in the Heartland corporate description. At the Seattle RV show I met the Western regional sales manager who told me the same thing. Interestingly, after studying the Landmark information on the Bighorn website, I didn't see that Landmark has all of the options from Bighorn. Similarly, I didn't see that the Bighorn had all the options for the brands below it. I did notice some detail differences, wood quality, materials, etc. but by and large there doesn't seem to be much brand difference between the models. I would expect the less expensive trailers to have some interior feature differences, etc. However, the floor plans across Landmark, Bighorn, and the other fivers are very similar.

Unlike cars and trucks and other products, each brand doesn't appear to have its own personality. I thought I was just missing the subtle branding differences, but it appears that this isn't the case. It could be that the RV industry is much like the bedding industry. Have you noticed that Sealy has tons of "models" and that each dealer in a market has a separate set of Sealy models? One dealer told me that there really aren't that many different brands. Some manufacturers name identical products with different names to start with the same first letter. They do this so that they can give each store an "exclusive" set of models. I am starting to think that the proliferation of brands has more to do with dealer franchises than product distinctions.

You are right that there are some differences in quality and standard features within the various Heartland lines, but it seems to me that these different brands are more about price points than real differences. My Bighorn costs just as much as a similar Landmark and is similarly equipped. My dealer, however, sells Bighorn but not Landmark.

Am I on the right track?

For20hunter

Bighorn is a 4 season full time rated fifth wheel too. No difference in that aspect between the two.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
As is the big country. (4 season full time rated). It was explained to me that it is higher end features and more standard options along with construction materials that make the biggest difference. With new leadership in the landmark side I too think you will see some separation from the BH and BC's now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

I have had heartland products for about the last four years and just bought my BH last spring. I have noticed that during this period that the BH has been becoming more and more like the LM. At the first rally I went to in Spring, TX a few years ago there were two demo model LMs set up and I was just in awe of some the features, namely the frameless windows, self leveling, power reel, upgraded tires, awning led lights. There seemed to be a marked difference between the BH and LM. Now, my 2014 BH has all of the same features (some of which were options I ordered), but the one that surprised me upon delivery was that my BH had the frameless windows and awning led lights. It is almost as if the BH is morphing into a LM. The one feature I would have liked is actually a Big Country item, the blinds in place of window coverings.

For20hunter

The Bighorn and Landmark have become very similar however changes are in the works to truly make the Landmark line "a cut above". With that being said, all of Heartlands luxury fifth wheels are some of the best in the industry and figuring which floor plan, cost, options and colors works best for you is what should be driving your purchase. By stepping up in brands some features are standard vs option, but you can order any of the four with nearly the same set up or options. You can't go wrong with any of the 4 as Heartland just makes a darn good product. IMHO

Rod Ditrich