2nd A/c Fantastic fan

creeper

I'm not sure , either is the dealer.

Can I order the coach to be prewired and framed for a second a/c and still get the Fantastic fan?

I know I'll lose the fan if I put in the second A/c.

Thanks in advance.

khd995

My 2007 3400RL came with a fantastic fan and it was wired and framed for the second a/c. So I would bet that you can still get them that way.

If you are considering adding the second A/C I would strongly suggest getting it that way from the factory. It will be cheaper in the long run and no hassle with having to take it in to your dealer later.

big tom

a/c prep and fan

I have a3055 picked up in July 07 I ordered it with a fantastic fan but I had it prepped for 2nd a/c just in case. So far have not needed more a/c. By the way, I love having the fan, it sucks a nice breeze through the bedsides windows.:D

ChopperBill

Creeper that is the way we ordered ours. Doubt we will ever get the second air as ours works great with one. Wiring it for the air just seems to make sense though, no more than it cost. The Fantastic Fan is.....well Fantastic!

creeper

Thanks guys for the info.. I'm not a big fan of the second A/C I'm a very light sleeper and the units usually keep me awake...

GaryB

Sorry to be dense, but doesn't the F. fan and A/C run on different power sources (DC power for fan, AC power for A/C)? So will the same hole in the bedroom ceiling be wired for both types of electricity (assuming we order the fan and the 2nd A/C prep)?

I know with some other brands that it's possible to get both the fan and 2nd AC in the bedroom at same time (w/ two different ceiling openings). Has anybody else had this done in their Big Horn?

Thanks
Gary

K

Ken Washington

Gary, The hole is the same size for the fan & the air and yes both wires are there!

Ken

ChopperBill

Thanks guys for the info.. I'm not a big fan of the second A/C I'm a very light sleeper and the units usually keep me awake...
If it gets down to an A/C I might recommend a smaller unit like the Coleman 7 or 9000 Polar Cub. They are a lot quieter than the big boys and no bigger than the bedroom is they are big enough. Lots of folks use them in truck campers.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Chopper or Ken! I'm pre-wired for the 2nd air and currently have the Fantastic. Question is, are the smaller BTU a/c units controlled by a wall t'stat or unit mounted controls like the old a/c units used to be? If they're controlled by t'stat, would I use the existing wires that are being used for the Fantastic t'stat control?

K

Ken Washington

Ray,
The unit that you would put in the bedroom would be the 13,500 BTU and it has it's own controls built into it, not controlled by a wall t'stat. The wire that controls the Fantastic Fan will not support the controls for the A/C. I would get the heat pump if I were going to put one in!

Ken

jpmorgan37

Ray;
Mine is controlled by a wall thermostat. I don't know if the pre-wire includes the wire for the 'stat or not. It would take some disassembly to wire one, but it could be done. Mine was a factory installation.
John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks gent's! One day I hope to add the bedroom a/c and move the fantastic to the "reading room". I sometimes need to move a little more air out of that room.:eek:

sealman

We live just north of Houston and purchased a 3100RL in August. We keep it full time on the lake, with the rear window facing west (great sunsets; but hot), and had another 15,000 btu unit installed as it was too much for 1 init too keep up with. We stay at the lake a couple of days every week when possible. I believe all Bighorns and upper models are framed and pre-wired for a/c. It took less than an hour to install.