09 Sundance 3300SK and 06 GMC 2500HD 6.6 crew cab, long bed, DD/AT

bpalpaca

I'm looking at purchasing the new 09 3300SK. I know my truck can pull this trailer but am wondering if I'm pushing the limit on hitch weight and overall towing weight considering trailer loaded, passengers, etc.. I want to be comforatable when driving. I have already gone through too much trailer for truck and it is no fun. I would appreciate some honest opinions. The new specs say dry weight for trailer 9,183lbs. although with factory options added, it will probably weigh at least 500 to 750 more. Hitch weight says 1,950. Thanks for any input...

fishn2dmax

My personal opinion is you'll be fine as long as you don't load too much weight in the front of the coach. The hitch pin weight is the challenge for your truck, not the total 5'er weight. Your trucks tow rating with a 5'er plus the weight of the truck is approx 22000 lbs. Your truck wet doesn't way more than 8200lbs, so you have plenty of margin there. Its the pin weight that you must watch. By the time you load your clothes; front storage items; add weight of the propane and 1/2 tank of water, you'll be pushing 2200-2400 lbs on the pin. Your truck with passengers and full tank of fuel has a remaining rear GVWR carry capacity of approx 2200 lbs.

The pin empty weight of my 2900MK is 1890 lbs based on knowing the weight of the truck then weighing the truck with the 5'er on. With my Trailer loaded I estimate my pin weight between 2000 to 2200 depending how It loaded. I have had no issues from a handling or driveability using my Duramax CC shortbed 2500 HD. I did add Firestone rear airbags and an in-cab pressure controller to level my truck when the 5'er in on it - Made a hige difference in the ride quality.

You will be on the edge of the trucks rated carry capacity, but so are 95% of those on the road towing 5'ers with bedroom slides using HD 2500 trucks. Just try not to load too much heavy stuff in the front of the 5'er and or in the rear bed of the truck and you'll be fine.

roazo

Sundance Owner
I too think you will have no problem. We have towed ours about 6000 miles so far with no problem. My total weight for our truck and trailer is 17250 lbs with about 2500 on the pin weight. The trailer tows like a dream much better than our 25.5 Terry that we had before.Having the gas engine my mileage solo is 10.5 , towing is between 7.5 to 10, with the Terry it was 6-7.

bpalpaca

Thanks for your comments :). Do you think I should have the dealer install some air bags while my truck is in their for a new hitch? If so, any suggestions on what kind?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for your comments :). Do you think I should have the dealer install some air bags while my truck is in their for a new hitch? If so, any suggestions on what kind?

You won't need them to level the truck but they sure do improve the ride, especially when empty. We had a 2500HD with Firestone bags. Empty we would leave 10-12psi in them. Loaded we carried around 50-60psi.

fishn2dmax

Depending on which in-cab air controller you select and compressor, air bags can be added without breaking the bank. In my opinion, the air bags were one of the best investments I've made on my truck. As others stated, you really won't need them due to the weight of the trailer, but it does allow you to keep your head lights pointed properly at night and smoothes out the ride. To give you and idea, I spent approx $240 on the pair of airbags and installed them myself in about 1.5 hours ( easy install). If you don't mind having to air the bags up and down manually with an external air compressor, then this is lowest cost way to go. An in-cab air controller and with compressor will cost another $180-$350 ( install labor not included) depending on the type and model. I went with a digital in-cab controller that doesn't require the air hoses to come into the cab. It cost approx $300, but It too was an easy install and is constantly monitoring the air pressures at will auto inflate to the PSI that I have selected. It will also not allow the bags to deflate too far <5 PSI ( which may cause damage to the air bags). If you have a full system installed, you need to add approx 3-4 hours of installation cost. Overall, you will love the airbags and wonder why you didn't do this years ago.:)

jimtoo

I have a 04 GMC 3500 CC Dually. I have both Trailair Pin box and Firestone Riderite air bags. I orginally put the Trailair box on and it greatly improved the ride, but still had a lot of chucking, Trailair sent me another air bag for it, and it improved the chucking somewhat. Don't ask me why or how, but it did help some, at least the chucking that is left is tolorable. I was still getting a harsh bounce, banging or ride when hitting a bump or rough places in the road. With my 5er loaded and ready for the road, my truck was not touching the overload springs. It was about 1/2 to 1" from the overload spring brackets, so that when I hit the rough places, dips and such, I contacted the overloads and got a harsh bump. I installed the Firestone riderites and then I removed the overload spring brackets from the frame, easier than removing springs and changing "U" bolts. Now I carry about 25-30 lbs. air presure when loaded with 5er and I don't get the harsh banging and noise when hitting the bad spots in the road. The Ride rites are now my overloads. It still rides like it has 2700# in the bed, plus extra 60 gal fuel tank, but that is a fact, I do have that much in the bed. But the ride is greatly improved. Well worth the change to us.

Edit: Forgot to mention that our Bighorn 3055RL does have Equaflex Suppension also, which I beleive is standard on the newer units.

StevieWonder

I have a 2800RLS pulled with a 2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax CrewCab/ShortBed. I also have a combination tool box/40 gal diesel tank (my only real gripe with the GM product is the relatively small stock fuel tank). My truck rode comfortably in stock configuration but I smoothed it out with Firestone airbags which did make a noticeable improvement.

They aren't hard to install but you can Google your area for dealers/installers in your local area. Lots of pickup truck accessory shops sell/install them.

bpalpaca

Before making our purchase of the 09 3300SK, we are going to take it for a test drive next week with water tanks full and some gear to get a good idea of final weight. We can then make decisions as to how everthing pulls and decide on air bags, etc...
If we had your previous rig then we would probably go bigger!

Sundance_kid

I pull our 3300SK with a F250 E/W timbrens and everythingwork fine. Had the dealer through in the Equaflex for the trailer and love it.