Too much wind?

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
I have been watching the weather rather closely, when I moved from the L.A. California area to a park south of San Francisco and now that I plan on going back to L.A. and then over the mountains on 15. My primary concern is the wind, it has been terrible.

I have noticed that with a motor home, a strong wind broadside will move you across traffic, while that does not happen with the 5th wheel. I suspect that it will take less wind to turn a 5th wheel over then a motor home.

Does anybody have a good idea of how much wind will turn over a Big Horn while traveling and how much would turn it over while parked?

busted2341

You know I was asking the same question about a year ago and found an article, I beleive it was in the Highways Magizine. It covered the wind turn over amount for a 30' 10,000 lbs 5th wheel. If I remember correctly and the figure I have used since is ...ta..da......85mph. The article was written by an engineer and using his math he came to the conclusion that a direct broadside SUSTAINED wind at 85mph would turn over that size 5th wheel. My conclusion since is that if I am in a wind at that speed, then a hurricain is on the way and I am leaving.....as for driving I have pulled mine in a 45mph SUSTAINED wind on the hwy and had no real problem at all including sway.......for what it's worth.....

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
65 mph gusts, 35 sustained here last week and our 3670 stayed put in the back yard. We were in Reno in November and had 55mph gusts and watched the coffee in the pot slosh back and forth like we were at sea. Didn't tip over though.

Mariposa

winds

we were crossing on highway 58 east of Bakersfield. At the top of the big hill strong winds and blowing snow. the Big Horn handled it all. The trucks fuel milage was a bit on the short side.
Bob

markandrenita

I don't drive,(if possible), in anything over 30 mph. Do you know if the fifth wheel was attached to the tv, in the engineer's calculations?