EMS: Portable or Built-In?

SeattleLion

I have one concerned about the hard wired EMS: what happens if it fails and you are camping? Even though the Progressive units are very good, there are examples of them failing from time to time. Should that happen and the unit is installed behind the basement wall, it would be a tough campground project to bypass it until it could be replaced. On the other hand, the portable unit is in danger of disappearing. Is there a preferred solution? Has anyone installed a bypass switch when installing the EMS?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Portable or Built-In

I have the hard wired Progressive unit. I've mounted it in an accessible location behind the basement wall (see earlier post with louver in access panel). But the thought had occurred on being able to bypass it easily. A possibility would be to attach 50A male and female connectors to the input and output cables, allowing the ends to be plugged together should the unit need to be removed for any length of time. Haven't done it...yet.

SeattleLion

I considered that option too. However, 50A connectors, particularly females are really expensive. Another possibility is a bypass. There are several ways this can be done. Nicest would be a double pole, double throw switch. Not cheap at 50A, but also not crazy expensive. You only need to bypass the two hot leads. Neutral and ground can be wired through for both devices. This is a manual version of the contactor in a automatic transfer switch for a generator. Here is a manual transfer switch that might do the job for about $100. http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-TCA1...=8-1&keywords=double+pole+double+throw+50+amp

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Portable or Built-In

I considered that option too. However, 50A connectors, particularly females are really expensive. Another possibility is a bypass. There are several ways this can be done. Nicest would be a double pole, double throw switch. Not cheap at 50A, but also not crazy expensive. You only need to bypass the two hot leads. Neutral and ground can be wired through for both devices. This is a manual version of the contactor in a automatic transfer switch for a generator. Here is a manual transfer switch that might do the job for about $100. http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-TCA1...=8-1&keywords=double+pole+double+throw+50+amp

All females are expensive, especially the higher amp ones :).

Looking further on Amazon, the two sets of 50A connectors would run about $150.

iaflatlander

Granted that potential theft is a concern with the portable model. However, I like the ease of checking the wiring in a camp site before I go to the trouble of backing in. Sometimes a pedestal is faulty, whereas the rest of the campground is fine.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

The tech that did our PDI last summer suggested a surge protector for just that reason plus he was suggestive selling as well. I bought one from CW for a lot less but to keep it from getting legs I also bought a wide jaw master padlock that fits over the thick 50A cable and lock it to the pedestal with a HD cable twisted around the pedestal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TedS

I just got the Progressive portable. It has a metal tab on the pigtail and has a hole for a lock or cable lock. The last unit I had was hard wired and it left with the trailer when I traded it.

jnbhobe

There is also a big difference between Progressive and Surge-Guard in what and how things are checked and protected.

SeattleLion

I just got the Progressive portable. It has a metal tab on the pigtail and has a hole for a lock or cable lock. The last unit I had was hard wired and it left with the trailer when I traded it.

As much as I like the idea of wiring in the Progressive EMS, the time and cost of the cutover switch seems like too much for me. I have the cable and lock to tie the portable to the podium. I think I will go that way.

Thanks for all the great advice and help.

hriker

I have my progressive unit hard wired into my rig. I believe I have read that should the unit fail you can contact progressive technical support and they will walk through removing something to bypass the unit so you can get power to the rig. Then they will replace or repair the unit at no cost. I understand they are very good and back their product. I don't remember where I read this though.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

evolvingpowercat

The chances of a hardwired protection unit failing is VERY low. If you self-install then certainly you are handy enough to deal with a failure scenario so long as you have tools with you when camping and a light source to be able to see what you are doing. If you pay someone to install then its a bigger problem.

jbeletti

mrcomer on this forum mounted the portable version in his coach in the storage bay using a female receptacle and male jumper. This allows his to pull it out of the loop easily.

Lou_and_Bette

I also opted for the portable Progressive EMS and pre-checking has saved me, on at least one occasion, from backing in to site only to find the power was bad. I have also used a cable to lock the device to the pole but have found many of the power boxes have either a tab or a hole that accommodates a small shank lock to pass thereby locking the plug inside

alex00

Is it a fair statement that the Progressive Hardwired and Portable units (EMS-HW50C and EMS-PT50C) are very close to being the same unit? When I compare the features of the two, the hardwired unit claims it is rated to 240V and offers a 15 second and 136 second Air Conditioner compressor delay setting. The portable unit claims it is rated to 120V and only offers the 136 second Air Conditioner compressor delay. Both hardwired and portable units offer accidental 240V protection. Those are the only real differences I could find.

If I hard wire the unit after the transfer switch, I protect the coach against the genny, too. If the portable unit is put on the pedestal, there is no protection from the genny. The hardwired unit is also $20 less expensive.

Are the two above units functionally equal?
If not, which one is better?
What is better? Protecting the transfer switch with a portable unit or using a hardwired unit and sacrificing the transfer switch to protect from the generator?

donr827

Granted that potential theft is a concern with the portable model. However, I like the ease of checking the wiring in a camp site before I go to the trouble of backing in. Sometimes a pedestal is faulty, whereas the rest of the campground is fine.

X2 Plus I have moved mine from one trailer to anther trailer.
Don

VMooreSR

We use Progressive Industries Portable 50 AMP Electrical Management System and lock it to the pedestal also.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

We have been using the portable EMS for over 7 years at RV parks and campgrounds all over the country without incident. It has save our RV on several occasions. We like to check the pedestal prior to plugging in the RV. On 2 occasions we found open grounds on the pedestal and once it was wired wrong. We use a bicycle cable lock to secure it to the pedestal. We RVs are replaced the protable EMS goes with us.

scottyb

I think the portable model is great for those w/o generators. Being able to check a pedestal before backing in is an asset. I'm surprised that the portable model only list the option of the 136 second delay since most AC compressors now have their own delay protection. That's the reason the built-in model offers the alternative 15 sec delay.

However, if you have a generator, you should seriously consider the built-in model to protect your whole rig while on generator power as well. You are still checking out the pedestal before the juice enters the coach, just not before backing in or pulling through. I always hookup power before I do anything else, and check the EMS monitor immediately after flipping the breaker. I have found one bad pedestal, which meant I had to pull out and return to the office to get assigned to another site. Would have been the same whether I was parked outside the site or pulled through the site, so the portable really wouldn't have saved me much effort.

dave10a

I don't see the logic of having an external device because of a possible failure. If I was to extend that logic I would have an external water pump, water heater, furnace and any other device. Everything does have potential to fail but some items like a surge suppressor are not as big of inconvenience when they fail like a water heater and furnace or water pump because most things run on 12vdc. I personally want every thing built in--and have gone to the trouble to build in water filters and conditioners as well. That make for easier hook up and less hassle when traveling. I now see other manufacturers are building in water filters and maybe Heartland will follow some day.

porthole

Retired
Those that have the portable unit think it is the best option
Those that have the hard wired unit think that is the best option.

I like the hardwired, but I also can do all my own work and did my own install.

I have one concerned about the hard wired EMS: what happens if it fails and you are camping? Even though the Progressive units are very good, there are examples of them failing from time to time. Should that happen and the unit is installed behind the basement wall, it would be a tough campground project to bypass it until it could be replaced. On the other hand, the portable unit is in danger of disappearing. Is there a preferred solution? Has anyone installed a bypass switch when installing the EMS?

The failure rate on the Progressive is extremely low, and you have to qualify that a bit. Are you referring to a unit that "just failed" or - a unit that "sacrificed" components to protect the coach?
The Pro EMS has about the best warranty in the electrical component field. Who warrants printed circuit boards?

If having the hardwired unit behind a wall making access difficult is an issue, the simple answer is to make a separate access cover.

Depending on the "failure" there are two bypass methods with the Pro EMS HW. One is to simply bypass the unit with the remote switch. The second requires access to the EMS and removing the cover, unplugged from shore power of course.

Another possibility is a bypass. There are several ways this can be done. Nicest would be a double pole, double throw switch. Not cheap at 50A, but also not crazy expensive.

Bypassing is simple if you can get to the unit.

You only need to bypass the two hot leads. Neutral and ground can be wired through for both devices.

That is incorrect. The Pro EMS relay switches the Red Black and White - 2 hots AND the neutral.

I have my progressive unit hard wired into my rig. I believe I have read that should the unit fail you can contact progressive technical support and they will walk through removing something to bypass the unit so you can get power to the rig. Then they will replace or repair the unit at no cost. I understand they are very good and back their product. I don't remember where I read this though.

Ya probably read it here:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...pport-service-and-a-tip?highlight=progressive

Is it a fair statement that the Progressive Hardwired and Portable units (EMS-HW50C and EMS-PT50C) are very close to being the same unit? When I compare the features of the two, the hardwired unit claims it is rated to 240V and offers a 15 second and 136 second Air Conditioner compressor delay setting. The portable unit claims it is rated to 120V and only offers the 136 second Air Conditioner compressor delay. Both hardwired and portable units offer accidental 240V protection. Those are the only real differences I could find.

If I hard wire the unit after the transfer switch, I protect the coach against the genny, too. If the portable unit is put on the pedestal, there is no protection from the genny. The hardwired unit is also $20 less expensive.

Are the two above units functionally equal?
If not, which one is better?
What is better? Protecting the transfer switch with a portable unit or using a hardwired unit and sacrificing the transfer switch to protect from the generator?

For me, as posted recently in another thread, I intalled mine after the genny, and will do so in the next trailer.

BTW, if you have a newer coach, you may not need the long delay for the AC units. The newer AC units have the delay built in to either the AC itself or the T-Stat.

The AC's with the built in delay allow you to get the coach power back on 2 minutes sooner.

BTW - after my EMS failure and the difficulty I had bypassing it, I relocated the unit. Still behind the wall, but readily accessible once the wall is off.