2014 Bighorn 3010RE Fridge Won't Run on Propane

GoPackGo

Hi everybody - This post contains a description of the problem as well as the apparent solution. I'm posting this in the hopes it will do two things - 1. help others, and 2. alert the factory.

The basic problem was that the fridge would not run on propane when I was towing the rig.

This model has the entire kitchen, including stove and fridge (mine is a 4-door) in a slide. The fridge ran fine on propane while towing the first few trips but then suddenly it would not run when towing. Everything is fine when camped and the slides are extended (clue #1). Took it in to a dealership and they initially thought there might be too much air turbulence around the flame so they built a coffer dam around it.

When I picked up the rig I started the fridge in their lot so I could see if it would run while I towed it back to the storage lot (slides were 'in'). I think it may have initially started but it would not stay running. I kept trying to start it for about 15 minutes with no joy. We checked the propane tanks and they were almost full. Both tanks were 'on' and they even refilled one just to make sure there was not an issue. Still no go. The slide was 'in' because I was getting ready to move the rig to the storage lot (clue #2).

The tech thought maybe there was lots of air in the lines so he turned on the furnace - it started and ran fine. We then tried to light the burners on the stove with no luck (clue #3). And the fridge still would not run for longer then a few seconds. Strange. At this point the light bulb went off. The tech asked me to extend the slide all the way to the 'out' position. We then tried the stove and it lit easily. Then the fridge, which also lit and stayed running. EUREKA !

There is a flexible rubber propane hose under the slide that supplies gas to both the stove and the fridge - but not the furnace. It was kinking whenever the slide was 'in', but would unkink when the slide was extended, thus allowing gas to run to both the stove and the fridge. He then got some plastic ties and some sort of flex-resistant rubber collar to put around the area of the line where it kinked and that appears to have solved my problem. I towed the rig at highway speeds in gusty winds for about 12 miles and the fridge was still running when I stopped. Just thought I would post this in case someone else runs into this problem. The test is to try and light burners on the stove while the slide is 'in'. If they will not light, or do light and then fade out, then you may have this same problem.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Good to know as I also have the 3010. I inadvertently drove the last leg (150 mi) of our last trip in the fall with the fridge on propane/12v with no problem. Turned it on at a rest area while having a snack then had a senior moment and forgot to turn it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happykraut

I also have a 2014 3010RE BH. I didn't experience any problems, but the way the line was routed was not good. My friend jnbhobe rerouted the line for me at one of the rallies. You do great work Jon, thanks again.

Garypowell

I have done a mod on my 3010 that required a new 110 volt line to be put in that area. My rig already had that collor you refer to and I strung the new wire through it. My guess is yours was left off at the factory.

But as you said your post might help someone else who is missing theirs.

Thanks

Thanks Go Pack Go, good to know info. My fridge is on a slide also

Just hope that Go Pack Go isn't for the Packers............lol

Go Bears!!!!!

SeattleLion

My understanding is that there is no problem leaving the fridge on propane when traveling. As it was explained to me, the movement (even if you park for a couple of hours for lunch) is sufficient to prevent the problems an off-level trailer can give a fridge. We have been traveling all summer with the refrigerator on with no problems at all.