1st Time RV experience

Tazeel

We are going to look at a 2010 Eagle Ridge 38' w/4 pull-outs. What should be our focus before purchasing besides water leaks?

jimtoo

Hi Tazeel,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Just check it front to back and top to bottom. Make sure all appliances work and even have it hooked up to water to check tanks if you can. Check suspension and everything that you can.

Enjoy the forum and ask questions when needed.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The question that should also be asked is how old are the tires or are they the original ones that came on the camper. Our first experience with a camper that we bought many years ago was that even tho it looked new, it was manufactured 2 1/2 years before we got the camper. First outing we blew 3 out of the 4 tires. They looked new but upon checking the tire manufacturing date, they were about 5 years older and had some dry rot. Looks can be deceiving,

Grey Ghost

I agree regarding the tires, if they are Tow Max tires have them removed and have a set of Michelin ribs or M/S 2s put on instead. I would make sure that all appliances function, refrig, hot water heater, furnace, stove, microwave, A/C and hook them up to city water to make sure lines are all ok and the tanks don't leak. I would check the release values for the black water tank and other holding tanks to make sure they are working properly. When we bought ours we didn't check the TV and DVD player and had some problems with those later, might want to make sure they all work also. Check the awning to make sure it goes up and down also. The most important thing for me is the tires. I've replaced tires on every trailer we have ever purchased since our first one and all the bad experiences we had with tires made in China. Good luck, have fun, enjoy and be safe out there. :cool:

donr827

You want to do what is called a PDI, pre delivery inspection, on the trailer. Hopefully some one will post a copy of a PDI for you.
Don

oldmannj

first and foremost!!!! Make sure your tow vehicle is able to pull all that weight. With 4 slides that's a heavy trailer. You're not going to pull it with a 1/2 ton pickup. There are websites that can give you the weight ratings for your truck if you don't know already. The weight on the trailer door is DRY weight. Everything you add to it makes the load heavier including people in the truck. ED.