Transmission fluid change DIY

wazz_zup

I got 36K miles on the truck and it's due for a trans oil change. Also I got the Mag-hytec standard dish trans pan. My question is should I take it to the dealer or just do it myself? The Mag-hytec has a threaded plug right in the bottom which makes for an easy change, but the dealer includes a band adjustment for the $125.00 oil change. It's not shifting funny or anything abnormal, just due for a change. Am I wasting $ taking it to the dealer?

Hunter11

I have the same truck only a 2005 and the Mag-Hytec deep pan. I did mine myself. It is really pretty easy to do and you can re-use the trans pan gasket that came on the truck.

jimtoo

I have been out of it for a while, but the "includes band adjustment" is an old term that as far a I know has not applied in 15 or 20 years. It is a sales tool to make you feel like your getting your money's worth. I don't think the band can be adjusted any more.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
wazz_zup! If you have the drain plug, do it yer-self. Without the plug it can be a bit of a messy job but still easy enough to do but, I would use a new gasket just to be safe. The GM Allison has a plug and external filter and I do mine once a year.

Hunter11

The Dodge comes with re-useable gaskets on the transmission and differentials. I took the gasket off my stock pan and used it on the Mag-Hytec pan. My transmission temps dropped 8* to 10* with the addition of the Mag-Hytec pan and more fluid capacity. On an 06 if your truck is shifting okay there is no band adjustment needed.

NewCyclone

I have the same truck only a 2005 and the Mag-Hytec deep pan. I did mine myself. It is really pretty easy to do and you can re-use the trans pan gasket that came on the truck.

Hunter, did you install the Mag-Hytec yourself or have someone do it? I am considering this purchase for my truck, but haven't decided if it is worth it yet. How much ATF did you have to buy for the change?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have my transmission fluid and filter changed every year. I have them use Synthetic Oil because I pull my Bighorn. I put over 20,000 miles on my truck each year. I also have them change the oil in the transfer case and rear end with Synthetic Oil.

While I was reading as much as I could about my Ford F250 I found that it was recommended to use Synthetic Oil when pulling heavy loads.

This may be over kill but it keeps me comfortable about the condition of my transmission.
FWIW
BC

davelinde

The first one is the hard one because you need to drop the pan full of fluid - messy. After that it's easy. IIRC I use almost 2 gallons of ATF per change - that's not all of it but since I change on an accelerated interval I figure the new mixes with the old and the average fluid age is good.

timk

Don't forget to drain the converter. 125.00 for 50.00 bucks of fluid, doesn't sound like a deal to me. Don't mess with the bands.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I have my transmission fluid and filter changed every year. I have them use Synthetic Oil because I pull my Bighorn. I put over 20,000 miles on my truck each year. I also have them change the oil in the transfer case and rear end with Synthetic Oil.

While I was reading as much as I could about my Ford F250 I found that it was recommended to use Synthetic Oil when pulling heavy loads.

This may be over kill but it keeps me comfortable about the condition of my transmission.
FWIW
BC

Yeah, I do the drive it to the Service Department...come back in a hour and pick it up route myself. I don't do this kind of stuff unless it's an emergency.

There are no bands to adjust on a Chevrolet. This from 3 Chevy Diesel experts.

I have the transmission fluid changed about every 30,000 miles on my other vehicle...and you can definitely feel the difference after they flush the transmission.

My old Tahoe was slipping a bit when it went into OD..and the other shifts were not anything to brag about. The difference was just amazing. All my shifts were clean..and getting into OD wasn't any problem afterwards.

It did shift like a new truck...and I traded it in at 175,000 miles. D*mn, I do miss that thing.

It's 0500 hrs..old Joe is doing the polka on RFDTV...and it's sounding good...I think it's time to hang it up and go to bed.

Where in the world do they get those shirts?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

FWIW
BC
It's not overkill using synthetic trans fluid on the new Ford automatics...(its the wrong thing to do). Only use Mercon V- Mercon SA on Fords after 2005.

jnbhobe

As far as I know Ford is the only one making the SP fluid for the torque-shift tranny. Does any one know of someone else who makes an approved fluid for the torque-shift ? I'd like to know what else is available. JON :confused: :confused: :confused:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
It's not overkill using synthetic trans fluid on the new Ford automatics...(its the wrong thing to do). Only use Mercon V- Mercon SA on Fords after 2005.

Thanks for the information. I have not added or installed anything in my Transmission. However my transmission fluid and filter were changed by the Ford dealership where I purchased it.

I checked my dealers invoice and they installed XT-6-QSP.

I checked it out as much as I could. It is referred to as a fluid not an oil so I don't really know if it is a Synthetic but it has specific additives that are necessary for the transmission. This goes for Ford Transmissions around 2003 or 2005 and newer..

Incase your interested here is what I found.. Thanks for the heads up. I had not worried what to put in my transmission. Haven't need to yet..

Motorcraft® MERCON® SP is a premium-quality fl uid designed, engineered and recommended by Ford Motor Company specifi cally for use in Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON® SP type fl uid. This product also provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions. Check Owner’s Guide or Workshop Manual for correct applications • Motorcraft® MERCON® SP is manufactured with premium base oils and specially designed performance additives, which provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, excellent thermal and oxidation resistance. It provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam. It also provides protection against rust and corrosion. MERCON® SP is friction modifi ed for smooth transmission operation while guarding against transmission shudder • Specifi cally designed for improved durability and torque handling capacity in TorqShift™ transmissions • Do not use in transmissions requiring MERCON® V or MERCON®

Specs from MSDS Sheet

MERCON® SP
Automatic Transmission Fluid
FEATURES
• Motorcraft® MERCON® SP is a premium-quality fluid
designed, engineered, and recommended by Ford
Motor Company specifically for use in Ford, Lincoln
and Mercury vehicles that require MERCON® SP type
fluid. Check Owner’s Guide or Workshop Manual for
correct applications.
• Motorcraft® MERCON® SP is formulated with premium
base stocks and high-performance additives which
provide excellent shifting characteristics at high and low
ambient temperatures and excellent thermal and
oxidation resistance. It provides an extra measure of
wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum,
sludge, lacquer and foam. It also provides protection
against rust, corrosion and wear.
• Specifically designed for improved durability and
torque handling capacity in the new TorqShift™
5-speed transmission.

BENEFITS
• Excellent performance in electronically
controlled automatic transmissions
• Outstanding low temperature fluidity for better
shifting in cold weather
• Excellent high temperature thermal and oxidative
stability
• Friction modified for smooth transmission operation
• Guards against transmission shudder
AUTOMATIC
TRANSMISSION FLUID
AUTOMATIC
TRANSMISSION FLUID
Designed, engineered and recommended
by Ford Motor Company.
1 QUART (0.946L)
MERCON ®
SP
ML-1169 XT-6-QSP
Ford Internal Reference No. 164125
MERCON® SP
Specifically developed by Ford Motor Company.
Designed, engineered and recommended for use in automatic
transmissions ONLY where MERCON® SP is specified.
Provides protection against deposits, rust, corrosion and wear.
Shear stable formulation resists thinning.
MERCON Registration No. MSP020101.
Do Not use for applications where MERCON®, MERCON® V or Ford Type F fluids are recommended.

AUTOMATIC
TRANSMISSION FLUID
Printed in U.S.A.
Caution: May cause eye irritation
Don’t Pollute. Conserve resources.
Return used oil to collection centers.
Keep out of reach of children. MERCON®
SP
For more information visit
www.motorcraft.com
Distributed by:
Ford Motor Company
Dearborn, Michigan 48121
Motorcraft® MERCON® SP
SPECIFICATIONS
Product Typicals
Gravity, °API . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 34.8
Specific Gravity, @ 60°F (15.5°C) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.85
Density, lb/gal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.09
Flash Point, COC, °F (°C) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 421 (216)
Viscosity: cSt @ 40°C . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 27.26
cSt @ 100°C . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.55
Viscosity Index . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 147
Brookfield Viscosity at -40°C . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 9,370
ASTM Foam Test, Sequence I, max. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0-0
Sequence II, max. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 35-0
Sequence III, max. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5-0
Color . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Red
Licensing Number
Ford MERCON® SP License . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MSP020101
ORDERING SPECIFICATIONS
Part Number XT-6-QSP
Size 1 Quart

timk

The 'bands' need to be adjusted on Dodge 4 speed autos...

That seems to be a source of debate, depending on the source. My info came from a dtt tech, who at the time had my transmission on a table in about a million pieces. He did manage to get it out rebuilt and back together in about 6 hours. So I tend to trust him. As I recall, his words were, "if its not broke, dont try to fix it."