Cooktop, not induction

Majestic

We are looking for a cooktop unit to replace the LP unit. We have been looking for a 110v unit on the internet but we can only find 12"x24" units which are to small for the hole.

Does anyone know of a larger unit that is available?

Garypowell

I don't think you will find a cooktop larger than about what you have that is 110 volt. Mine is 24 by 15. Got it from True Induction.

I bought the built in version and bought a piece of countertop from HL. Then cut and glued such that the countertop looks perfect (well almost perfect).

if you look under modification you will find my thread with pictures of what I did.

Majestic

Hi Gary
yes, I had looked at the mod you did, good plan.

We were hoping to find a 3 element cooktop that would fill in the old LP area. When we ordered the unit, we were told it would be the factory first to come with the cooktop, later we found out that the former GM spoke to soon and it was back to LP. Very disappointed, now we have to convert.

Can't use induction due to heart issues so needs to be standard cooktop. Wish they just shipped with solid counter top, but that's life in mass production.

Garypowell

Gary,

Of course...that's why the title says "not Induction".....did not put 2 and 2 together for some reason....sorry. One would think there would be an apartment type unit out there somewhere. When we traveled without the RV for business we stayed in a lot of extended stay type places....they always seem to have 2 or 4 burners...not three like your ideal. And then again you are looking for 110V and not sure how that will limit your search.

Good luck,

Garypowell

Majestic,

Let me give you a caution. Granted this is exactly what you were looking for but it says it requires a 40 Amp circuit breaker. What this says to me is it does not have any type of interlock that keeps you from turning them all on at the same time. Granted if you can always remember to use one at a time....or maybe one on full another on 1/2 you'll have enough power for the other basics in your rig. But this will always be a tune that you have to dance to.

I realize you cannot use induction but to help compare and contrast the induction I use has a brain that only allows the two burners to be set up to a max of "10". This max setting of 10 is where the unit is drawing 20 Amps from its circuit...which is what it is designed to do at a max. If you turn one burner on 10 and then turn the other one on 1...the first burner automatically goes down to 9 thus not overloading the circuit.

While it seems that in many regards what you found is probably a very good unit but it does not mesh exactly with the electrical requirements that the rest of your RV has. Not that the 2 burners that are fairly easy to find do this either...but you might want to go back and look at how some of the 2 burners actually work. If you can only use 1.5 burners on your 3 burner unit at any one time.....you might think about saving the money and just get a smart (if there is such a thing) 2 burner.

Best,

Majestic

Thanks Gary, good points.

we have been reviewing this over the past couple days and have come to the realization that we will be installing a simple 2 element unit. Our unit arrived at the dealer so we will go see it this weekend and put the plans together

ParkIt

Slightly confused...from the one Jimmy posted and Dan pointed out what I saw on the 40 amp additional breaker then only being able to use 1.5 burners at one time...is it just Gary & Lorraine's unit or any unit that can only run 1 plus 1 at half temp rendering the 3rd burner at one time useless?

I'm trying to figure up my math on this and its not adding up even with a 40 amp breaker.

Majestic

Not sure what to tell you, our unit arrived without the power run to the cooktop area. We ran a 20 amp outlet, bought a portable single cooktop and are leaving with it. The unit appartently can't handle 2 ac unit and 2 cooktop elements at once on the 50 amp circuit. So are using the microwave as needed.

Garypowell

Parkit,

my unit is two burner 110 volt. With this unit each burner control goes up to 10 which corresponds to about 400 deg. The electronics only allows you to run a total setting of 10. So if one burner is set to 9 the other controller will only go up to 1.

On the unit that Majestic was looking at was 4 burner and 40 amp.....I think I was trying to caution him that there might be a similar limit.

The interesting thing I have found since that earlier post is that there is a work around for this limit of 10. You can run the controls either in this 1 - 10 mode or in temperature mode.....0 - 400.....which I think equates to 10. But if you are running one burner in temp mode you can run at 400 while the other burner is at 10.