Building Homes for Heroes - 2014 Urbanna, VA Rally

jbeletti

BHFH_header_image.jpg

Heartland product owner Buddy Riddle is spearheading the second element of our Heartland Gives Back initiative for this rally. We're working with Building Homes for Heroes.

The hero we're planning to honor is U.S Army Sergeant Joseph Grabianowski. As a Vehicle Commander of Company B/4-23rd Infantry, Sergeant Grabianowski was was severely wounded in Maiwand District, Kandahar Province of Afghanistan during a mission that called for his squad to initiate combat with suspected enemy foot mobiles.

We will be collecting funds that will be contributed towards the purchase of land for and the building of Sergeant Grabianowski's home. Our fund raising goal is $2500.

Click here to learn more about our effort.

Last edited:

szewczyk_john

Re: 2014 - Building Homes for Heroes

As a disabled vet myself, I like to hear stuff like this. I aim a lot of my charity towards our veteran organizations, especially the ones that look after not only the veterans but also the family. All too often, the wounded veteran's family are forgotten. They make sacrifices just as large as the wounded vet. I will be donating but just a few ideas . I attended a goshen rally three years ago and had a good time. Some of the vendors brought give aways or samples. Would it be possible to discuss those samples and giveaways with the vendors for this years rally and have them donate those same goods for a Chinese Auction type event instead of just freely giving them away? Maybe we can have other like minded individuals donate a basket towards that auction as well. Could we hold a 50-50 raffle during one of the evenings events? Just some ideas that I thought I would throw out.

jbeletti

Hi John,

Thank you for your service. Thanks also for your ideas. Not sure if you were in Gillette in 2012, but I plan to use that model. There, I produced envelopes that were in each rally bag and at each table in the rally hall. During the rally, we'll talk about the opportunity to help this hero. We'll encourage attendees to help individually and we'll encourage chapters and regions to help collectively.

In terms of the door prizes, most all of that comes from my budget. It's a traditional and appreciated rally component. I'm not likely to change that format.

What I do have in mind though, is the donation of some portion of sales of our extra rally t-shirts and small quantities of some club branded items that I'll be bringing with me.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired

I support the effort whole heartedly. My 20 y/o daughter is in the Navy and stationed in Guam so we are in with the support.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

While you're at it, is there a way for those of us not attending the rally to donate as part of the Heartland Owners Group?

kowAlski631

Our question also. Our elder son's wedding is the same week as the rally.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

jbeletti

While you're at it, is there a way for those of us not attending the rally to donate as part of the Heartland Owners Group?

John - thank you so much for asking. Yes, we are developing a way to do this. Building Homes for Heroes has an online system for taking monetary contributions. I am just waiting to hear back from them, via Buddy as to how we should code online contributions so they can be tracked and added to our overall contribution total as I want to feed this back to the Hearltand Owners community shortly after the rally. Stay tuned!

jbeletti

Our question also. Our elder son's wedding is the same week as the rally.

Sorry that we will miss you Paul and Martha. Thank you in advance for wanting to contribute to this cause. I expect to be able to let everyone know next week, how to code their online contributions. Fortunately, they already have an online process and that form has 3 fields for special coding already.

szewczyk_john

Jim, I was not trying to put you on the spot. I was just throwing out ideas for a worth while cause. I was not in Gillette but made it to Goshen the year before. I was not in Gillette because my son was graduating from the Air Force Basic Military Training at Lackland Air Force Base. As much as I enjoyed meeting everyone at the National Rally, nothing was keeping me from seeing my son graduate and become an Airman so we decided to pass on the Gillette rally. Really looking forward to this rally.

hcriddle

Hi all you great Heartlanders! I wanted to update everyone on the Heartland Gives Back initiative for the National Rally this year. In past years we have done food drives and other things that really were for those who attended the rally to participate in. This year we are doing something that everyone here can participate in and we can have an impact locally where the rally is being held.

As you have read we are participating with an organization called Building Homes for Heroes who build homes for wounded service members. I had hoped that we could actually take part in the building of a home but it looks like the home site is not going to be ready. So we are going to be raising money to help make this very special home a reality for SGT Grabianowski.

This is a very special fundraiser for me as I lost two members of my squad in Iraq within a two month span. One of them was injured in a rocket attack and lost both legs at the hip and has the same needs as SGT Grabianowski. A similar organization built a home for Rheas and the cost was over $250,000. These special homes are not cheap but they enable these young men and women to focus on healing and their future without the hardship of how to get around in their homes.

So I hope this is an opportunity for everyone to participate whether you will be in Urbanna or not. You can be a part of this! It is really simple:

If you would like to donate by check you can make it out to Building Homes for Heroes and write “Heartland” in the memo line.

If you would like to donate online through the Building Homes for Heroes website you can do so with a credit card and write “Heartland” in the comments section.

I am currently working with Building Homes for Heroes and SGT Grabianowski to try and get him and his family to the rally for the final night’s dinner so that we can thank them for their service to our country and celebrate with them.

Building Homes for Heroes will keep track of our donations for Heartland but if you donate through check or online send me a pm and let me know so that I can keep a running total and update our forum regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:

hcriddle

As we are coming closer to the rally in Urbanna I wanted to bring this back out to remind everyone of the Heartland gives back initiative. Everyone has an opportunity to participate in this give back program. Take a look at post #12 to get the link to donate online. I know that the South Texas chapter is supporting this at their October rally also. If any of the other chapter leaders want to take collections to bring to Urbanna we would love to have them. If you have any questions let me know and I will do my best to get you an answer. Let's help buy some windows or doors or bricks to give this family a home that will allow them to focus on moving forward with raising their family and enjoying life like we get to do!

jbeletti

Due to his Mother's accident, Buddy Riddle will not be able to join us in Urbanna. We thank Buddy for all the effort he's put into our fundraising effort for Building Homes for Heroes and wish all the best for his Mother's recovery.

We've asked club member and VA Chapter Leader, Eric van Opstal (Flying Dutchman) to step in the gap and Eric did not hesitate to say YES. Thank you my friend.

Last edited:

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Due to his Mother's accident, Buddy Riddle will not be able to join us in Urbanna. We thank Buddy for all the effort he's put into our fundraising effort for Building Homes for Heroes and wish all the best for his Mother's recovery.

We've asked club member and VA Chapter Leader, Eric van Opstal (Flying Dutchman) to step in the gap and Eric did not hesitate to ay YES. Thank you my friend.

That sounds like Eric. Ask and he says yes without hesitation! Great couple Eric and Dorthy. Sure am proud to know them. I have my check ready to pass on to you Eric when we get to Urbanna.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
That sounds like Eric. Ask and he says yes without hesitation! Great couple Eric and Dorthy. Sure am proud to know them. I have my check ready to pass on to you Eric when we get to Urbanna.

Many thanks Keith for your kind words. I too want to thank Buddy because he has done a lot of work and I get the easy part to wrap things up. Your check is very much appreciated Keith, and by the time we meet in Urbanna we will have the collection system ready.

I would also like to encourage ALL Heartland owners to make a contribution to this "Heartland Gives Back" initiative. You don't have to be at the rally in Urbanna to participate! You can make a donation on-line to Building Homes for Heroes at the link Buddy posted in #12 above. If you do so, please follow the directions and indicate in the remarks section "HEARTLAND" so that we can be accurately credited for your donation. It is a worthy cause, and our donations will be applied specifically for the home for Sergeant Joseph Grabianowski. It is also good to know that your donation will be almost fully applied, in that Building Homes for Heroes has less than 3% administrative fees - meaning 97% of the donation goes to the recipient. You can hardly find charitable organizations with such a high rate of disbursement.

So come on fellow Heartlanders, please make a donation. If you are not going to be at Urbanna but would still like to write an old fashion check that will be included with the collection at the rally, you may PM me and I will reply with my address.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
The Northeast Region hosted 50/50's at the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Rallies to Benefit Homes For Hero's and SGT Grabianowski. At those events we raised $325.00 to be turned over in Urbanna. We want to thank those present at the rallies for their generosity with this HL Gives Back! You guys are awesome!

hcriddle

Deb,

Thanks to you guys and all the members who participated from the Pennsylvania, and New Jersey chapters!

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
FANTASTIC!! Great work Deb and to all that gave. There is still more work and "collecting" to do. To those attending in Urbanna, please don't forget your checkbook. And for all the rest not attending but would still like to be a part of this Heartland-Gives-Back initiative can make their contribution directly to the Building Homes for Heroes organization. The Building Homes for Heroes web site can be linked here. If you are making a donation by credit card or e-check, please remember to write "Heartland" in the comments block so that your contribution can be included in Heartland's total. If you prefer, you can also mail your check directly to Building Homes for Heroes. Again, indicate on your check in the memo section "Heartland". Make Checks Payable to:
Building Homes for Heroes
Mailing Address:
Building Homes for Heroes
65 Roosevelt Ave., Suite 105
Valley Stream, NY 11581

Thanks to all that give to this wonderful program that builds liveable homes to suit our severely wounded veterans.