Most (or maybe not so) experience when taking Delivery of a new Cyclone 4100.B at La Mesa RV

Riski

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. Here is my story: I live in Florida and have been traveling in the West for a short time with an Work and Play ULSBS Toy Hauler. We traveled home via plane to visit our home and see our Dobies leaving the Toy Hauler in Calforinia. During our time in Florida we decided we like the RV life and decided on a fifth wheel coach from Heartland. Because we are motorcycle enthusiasts we chose the Cyclone 4100-B. We went to the dealer we knew locally and had a West Coast store in Davis, California, La Mesa RV. We were pleased with the Florida Store and understand our desire not to travel across the country for the new coach and made arrangements with the La Mesa store in Davis since it was the closest to our trailer located in Calfornia. Upon finalizing the deal with the Bank, La Mesa and ourselves I signed the necesary documents in Florida. To close the deal the Florida store was to forward the paperwork to the California store in Davis.

A week ago the Davis store deliverymanager, Tara, called me and said, "I have your "DUE" list and understand you will be in on the 28th. I smiled to myself and felt good that this was going to be a postive experience. It made me feel better since I was going to take a beating on the ULSBS Toy Hauler that I owned for months (you know how it is). The excitement of the new delivery buillds for my wife and I during the week leadiing up to the delivery. We really love the design of the coach.

So, we arrive at the dealership and the first thing they tell us, after knowing for 8 plus days of our appointment, they didn't have the paperwork and that they were expecting them to be delivered by FedEx. Then, they introduce us to the coach. Obviously, after being in a much smaller trailer we were enamored with it. Ok, we were willing to accept a couple of defects. After numerous hours of waiting, they tried to work through the agreement since the papers hadn't been received. Bottom line: there was an agreemnt, the financing secured, and the down payment provided La Mesa could close the deal. The business acumen at the Davis La Mesa RV is disapointing at best. And, some guy named Darrian's behavior was, at best, crappy.

So, as to the delivery of the RV which we didn't take: The to do list included:

1) Work to move our Smart TVs to the new Rig - Done, but need to be tested.
2) Work to move of our existing queen size to our new Rig - Wouldn't fit properly, so it remains with ULSBS Toy Hauler (loss of $800 to me).
3) Work to move our existing Wheel Chucks for our motorcycles to the ne Rig - postponed by La Mesa because the fuel tank has to be removed in order to mount them into the frame.

The disappointments (so far) on the failed delivery (doesnt include the frustration above, it is compounded) of the Rig:
1) The 6 point level system didn't seem to work
2) No tables anywhere.
3) Missing pins on the rear deck.
4) Rear door floor bubling up.
5) Rust underneath (easily resolved with T9)

I truly expected better. Tomorrow I will take ownership. Not because of La Mesa but, because of Heartland. I believe they are a quality and will make things right. It's too bad La Mesa didn't value their value. I will never, ever deal with La Mesa RV again.

alex00

I was at the Davis dealership in January and may have looked at the actual 4100 you bought. I was not impressed with the dealership at all. They may have decent pricing but their customer service annoyed me. I hope you get all the issues worked out soon. Nothing like a series of dealership problems to spoil what should be a great experience buying a new trailer.

Sorry to hear your story, we too had a very bad experience
with the dealer we purchased from (Lazy Days Seffner FL), PRICE WAS GOOD BUT SERVIC DEPRTMENT FULL OF LIARS, SALESMAN TOO AFTER SALE. Heartland does stand behind their product and allowed our local RV dealership to do warranty work with no delay. Good luck and enjoy!

oldmannj

This will make a GREAT campfire story after the fact. Once you get over the frustration, I'm sure you'll be in love with the rig. Congrats and happy camping! ED.

rjwarre

Check under the mattress for the tables. That's where we found ours. Congrats on the new rig. I'm sure you will love it once the bugs are worked out.

scottyb

Riski, congratulations on your purchase. You will get everything resolved, whether it be through your dealer or through HL. HL will stand behind their product. My dealership had a good reputation, as I could read, but I discovered early on, a pretty high level of incompetence in their service department. Unfortunately it seems to be the norm rather than the exception in the industry. I had some table tops missing also, but didn't pick up on it at the PDI. It took nearly a year to get it resolved and only after HL customer service took the bull by the horns.

I have to ask. You purchased the 4100 King, but you are removing the 76 x 80 residential king bed and replacing it with a queen? When we bought ours (in 2012), it was literally the only toy hauler on the market with a king bed, which was probably the biggest selling factor for us. We had to add a latex foam topper to make it sleep well. However, since it is a residential sized mattress, it was an inexpensive and easy fix. I'm pretty sure that it sleeps even better than the Intellibed at home.

Mizmary

Our tables were under the bed as well. They now store in the loft area. Ours was also missing some pins - they are not hard to find or replace.

Congratulations! We've been full-timing in ours for almost a year now and it's worked well. We had a few glitches at the beginning, and when La mesa in San Diego wouldn't help we either figured it out ourselves or heartland came through for us. We have not been overly satisfied with the service department at La Mesa here and instead I use a mobile RV repair guy that is amazing and will work with heartland and all of the component manufacturers on warranty payments.

I hope you enjoy your new camper as much as we do!!

Riski

We found them! They were under the bed. Why didn't the dealer know? They were going to steal them from another rig and couldn't find them there either. Too funny. But, it shows the dealer didn't have their act together.

Riski

Not sure what we are going to do with the mattress. In our previous rig we went out and bought a good quality queen mattress. The mattress isn't too bad in the new rig but, then again, I've only slept on it for one night.

Riski

I have to agree with you about the mobil repair guys. I've used them and they were great. We're fulltiming too! Been out for 4 months and outgrew the smaller rig (28 ft). I figured it was time for the Big Daddy. Seriously though, the 4100 is perfect for Nancy and I.

scottyb

The 1st thing they told me when I discovered they were missing was to check under the bed. I think my dealer must have stolen them from my rig for another. Goodluck with your 4100. You are going to love it.

Mizmary

I wonder if anyone has tried this mattress? We like a tempur pedic type mattress. But putting that much weight on the pin is worrying.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SQVBFU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Dealers steal from one to another. We have one mismatched stool. As we were closing the deal at the show another sales person came in and swapped one of the perfectly good stools in our rig with a damaged one from another. And we watched him. Funny enough- he was also the guy who did the PDI - and I made them replace the damaged stool with a brand new one. Ha.

Enjoy your rig!!