How do you sanitize the fresh water tank with an Anderson valve

SeattleLion

We just bought a Bighorn 3160. The fresh water tank is a pressurized fill via the Anderson valve. I don't see any way to add chlorine to sanitize the tank. What am I missing?

Thanks

alex00

We just bought a Bighorn 3160. The fresh water tank is a pressurized fill via the Anderson valve. I don't see any way to add chlorine to sanitize the tank. What am I missing?Thanks
Attach your EMPTY water hose to the fill side. From the side that attaches to the water spigot on your house fill the hose with the appropriate amount of bleach or sanitizer. Connect the hose to the spigot, fill the tank and enjoy.

Before using bleach I'd check out "Sani Systems.com" Great product easy to use. We utilize a filter hosing to put product in between hose and rig. You could do the same with bleach to solve your current issue but bleach has some real side effects to the plastic tanks and lines. Have fun

avvidclif

Before using bleach I'd check out "Sani Systems.com" Great product easy to use. We utilize a filter hosing to put product in between hose and rig. You could do the same with bleach to solve your current issue but bleach has some real side effects to the plastic tanks and lines. Have fun

That comes back to a kitchen cleaning place on Long Island????

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
....but bleach has some real side effects to the plastic tanks and lines. Have fun

If you use the correct amount of bleach for your tank size, only allow it to stay in the tank and lines long enough to do the job and then flush the tank and lines properly, it will not have any adverse affect on the plastic tank and lines. Remember, pure bleach sits for weeks in a warehouse before it reaches the store and then usually weeks at your house before you use it up. Can't see where a cup or two diluted in 50 to 100 gallons of water would hurt anything. I've used this process for years with no problems.

MY bad....Sani-systems.com....and then look under components. When I googled it took me to Amazon and some other sites. If I knew how to attach articles I'd send you an article that was in Oct 14 issue of Family Motor Coaching discussing the pros and cons of various methods. We purchased the 15K model from RV Water Treatment.com. Again Sorry and travel safe.

SeattleLion

I understand that bleach has been used for decades in RV's. How much should I use? Is there a formula to calculate how much to add?

Attach your EMPTY water hose to the fill side. From the side that attaches to the water spigot on your house fill the hose with the appropriate amount of bleach or sanitizer. Connect the hose to the spigot, fill the tank and enjoy.

I believe this is inaccurate in regards to filling your freshwater tank with bleach/water mixture or other chemicals for sanitization. I am trying to sanitize my fresh water tank on my 2014 cyclone and am not able to smell the bleach mixture come out of the faucets after performing the above quoted function, filling my fresh water tank 1/3 way, then running enough water through my facets from my fresh water tank to replace previous water. I believe if you have the Anderson 4 way valve turned to sanitize/winterize it only pumps through the lines and NOT into the tank. If you think about it this would be most likely the case as it wouldn't be efficient to dump into the fresh water tank as one would use too much antifreeze for winterization. Thoughts anyone?

TedS

Mike, the above process works with the valve set to tank fill. After the tank is full, set the valve to normal and pump bleached tank water to each fixture.
The process you mention would be correct for pumping antifreeze to winterize, which would not include the fresh water tank.

Mike, the above process works with the valve set to tank fill. After the tank is full, set the valve to normal and pump bleached tank water to each fixture.
The process you mention would be correct for pumping antifreeze to winterize, which would not include the fresh water tank.

AH! Awesome! So it WILL suck the bleech/water mixture into the freshwater tank with the pump switch on, pressure relived out of the facets, and 4 way Valle in fill mode. I will attempt this. THANKS!!!

Just tried this. It's does not work for getting bleech water into the fresh water tank. I connected a hose to the fill port, put the other end into my bleech water container and turn the pump on with the 4 way valve in the fill position. The pump started running but the bleech water was not sucked up.

TedS

Mike, set the anderson valve to tank fill.
Connect the hose to the supply water faucet.
Pour the bleach into the empty hose.
Connect the hose to the city water connection.
Turn the supply water faucet on and fill the fresh water tank. The water carries the bleach into the tank.
Set the Anderson valve to normal.
Turn the water pump on. Go around and open each faucet until you get the smell of bleach. Turn on the next one and so on until all lines are full of bleach water.
Let this all set for several hours to sanitize the system.

Then

Drain the bleach water out of the fresh water tank.
Fill the tank with fresh water.
Turn the pump on to replace the bleach water in the lines with fresh water.

SeattleLion

OK, great advice. Now that we have filled the tank with the solution and run it through the faucets, how do we get the bleach smell/taste out of the system?

TedS

Generally, flushing with fresh water is enough. After draining the bleach water from the fresh water tank, fill the fresh water tank with fresh water. Then use the pump to clear the bleach water from the fixtures.

I would need a refresher on my chemistry math to figure out how much 6% solution to add to 50 gallons of water to get the recommended 1000ppm of hydrogen peroxide.

dlw930

I appreciate this information. In getting ready for the trip to Goshen, I want to sanitize my fresh water tank, but this is my first experience with the Anderson 4-way and couldn't figure out how to get sanitizer into the tank. I was going to post my question, but found it's already been answered! I love this forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk