TV Antenna signal going bonkers!!!!!

dana22

I have an analog tv with a digital converter in the bedroom. A few days ago, suddenly the signal through the converter box from the antenna has gone crazy going from 60 to 0 to 40 etc. It jumps around constantly and the picture never can be seen. We checked the antenna on the roof, and all seemed fine as far as visible connections goes and this same issue is now also happening to the living room digital HD tv , which makes me wonder if something is going on with the antenna. Any ideas on what to try to correct this? :confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would take a look at all the coax connectors. Be sure they do not have any shielding wire touching the copper core wire.
Then be sure that all the connectors are tight. Check em all.
There is a chance that the signal amplifier is dying.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My Trail Runner new from the factory had bad coax connections in the roof just under the antenna . . .

I had it in for warranty repair twice and they never fixed the problem . . . but while camping in South Dakota I borrowed a ladder from the campground . . . got up on the roof . . . unhooked the coax from the antenna and pulled the coax up through the roof and replaced the coax fittings that were about a foot down inside of the roof . . . and now all is well!

Cost me about $30 for a coax crimper tool at Home Depot . . . plus about another $30 - $40 in gas for the two round trips to the dealership that resulted in this problem not getting fixed.

ultrafarmer

I had to replace my coax connections. Some were just falling apart, very bad crimp job. That fixed my problem and I think it will fix yours.

TXTiger

As the others have said bad coax connectors may be the problem. However if your system had been working in the past it might be a bad digital converter. Try unhooking the converter and bedroom TV and just try using the living room digital TV by itself. If everything runs ok you have something wrong in the bedroom system. If the living room system still is having problems then it may be the coax, the antenna or the antenna booster.

wdk450

I have an analog tv with a digital converter in the bedroom. A few days ago, suddenly the signal through the converter box from the antenna has gone crazy going from 60 to 0 to 40 etc. It jumps around constantly and the picture never can be seen. We checked the antenna on the roof, and all seemed fine as far as visible connections goes and this same issue is now also happening to the living room digital HD tv , which makes me wonder if something is going on with the antenna. Any ideas on what to try to correct this? :confused:

Suggestion: Borrow, or buy (maybe ready to immediately return) a working digital TV, and try it connected to the TV signal coax, and see how it works.

dana22

The tv has been like normal this afternoon and tonight. Wonder if someone is running something to screw up the reception?????????

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We had purchased The Jack antenna for our 5th wheel.. At home where we could not get any reception, we now get local channels and many HD channels. Well worth the money spent.