Propane tank valve is "possessed"

SailorDon

I made the mistake of de-winterizing my travel trailer too soon. There have been 2 hard freezes since I de-winterized 3 weeks ago.:(
One of the propane tank valves will not flow in the sub-freezing weather.

Here is the problem. New 2014 Heartland Wilderness with propane tanks installed. (See photo below)

It was 22 degrees when I woke up this morning. As fast as I could, I got dressed and went direct to my travel trailer to turn on the furnace to prevent plumbing freeze-up.
I slowly opened the valve on the top of the propane tank that I have been using as my primary tank. I set the selector switch to that tank, went in the trailer and turned on the heat. No heat. Turned on the propane stove. No gas.

I went out and switched over to the secondary tank and everything worked perfectly, just like the previous time this happened (2 days ago).
I'm beginning to believe my primary propane tank is possessed.
To try and troubleshoot the cause of this valve malfunction, I took a hot air gun and aimed it at the valve on the problem tank for about a minute in the 22 degrees outside temperature.
I shut down all gas appliances, switched over to the problem tank (but now partially heated), and everything worked fine.

In an attempt to recreate the problem, after running the furnace for a couple of hours using the primary tank, I shut it down and set everything to the way I had stored the trailer overnight. After an hour (now it was 28 degrees outside), I opened the valve on the primary tank, expecting a propane valve line freeze-up, and everything started up perfect.

I conclude that propane tank valve is possessed. :)

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I had a transfer regulator that wasn't happy unless both tanks were turned on

SailorDon

I had a transfer regulator that wasn't happy unless both tanks were turned on
When I bought my travel trailer, I questioned the dealer about the operation of the transfer regulator. It was indicating red when he turned on the valve to the "problem" propane tank.
He just switched it over to the other tank and said that was the way it was supposed to operate. I was just a newbie, so what did I know? And I accepted it "as-is".
I used that "problem" tank many times during the summer without any further problems.
Then the winter came and and so did the problems with what was my primary tank.

Because of my premature de-winterizing, I have to turn on the propane furnace when it gets below freezing. Last night was 28 degrees and freezing rain. I stayed out in my travel trailer all night running the furnace on the primary (problem) propane tank. No problems. Makes me wonder if that tank might have been overfilled, causing liquid propane to freeze up the selector valve.

Knowing that we had freezing rain all night, I was very careful when climbing/crawling out of my travel trailer this morning. Those folding metal steps would make like a cheese grater if I slipped on the ice and went down on the steps.

My emergency plan is to store a small bottle of sand in the seat locker to spread on the icy steps. It could be a life saver.